The Student Room Group

What are my scores like?!

Hi everyone, just got my scores in for SAT- im from the UK and applying to some US uni's this year. Due to the quite ridiculously high fees- i have to apply to the larger unis that offer financial packages. eg harvard princeton yale etc

well this is what i got
Test Score National Percentile
SAT Reasoning Test
Critical Reading 630 85%
Math 700 93%
Writing 620 85%
Multiple Choice 58 (score range: 20-80)
Essay 10 (score range: 2-12)

yea i know its not the best 1950/2400 is only 81% so feel free to say il never get into any of the unis stated above if thats what u think!

just want some honest answers

Thanks!

PS. I am doing 3 SAT subject tests too-- first one day after tomoro! pritty nervous! :eek:

Scroll to see replies

With those scores, it won't make or break your acceptance if you have good highers. So stop worrying :smile:

UGH. Now I have to go check my SAT 2 scores.:smile:

edit: HAHAHAHA. I got 90 points higher on mathematics II then on regular maths on the SAT. But my mom won't let me retake the SAT.
Reply 2
Honestly, those scores are below average for those unis. They usually expect over 2100. You also need to take at least 1 or 2 SAT 2's and be involved in several extracurricular activities. There are plenty of large unis outside of the Ivies.
Reply 3
that have financial packages for international students? i amnt very well off so they will have to be generous! - i am doing 3 SAT 2's

anyone think i shoudl retake the SAT? i wasnt on top form that day i must say
Reply 4
I dont know whether its true, but I've heard that US unis don't expect as high SATs results from UK students as US students. Although they don't take A level as a substitute for SAT1 or 2, appararently they take A level results into serious consideration, so even if you do less well in SATs there are fair amount of chance that they will take you in. Is it true?
Reply 5
poor for those uni's
Reply 6
i think you should retake it if you want to get into the ivies/stanford/duke/mit. Aim for abt 2200.
Reply 7
yea i thought those scores were pritty crap!

il retake i think- just one question - if i retake in say January or December but i send off my application beforehand will there be a danger than they will simply take my first SAT and not know i am doing another?
Reply 8
Shadey
yea i thought those scores were pritty crap!

il retake i think- just one question - if i retake in say January or December but i send off my application beforehand will there be a danger than they will simply take my first SAT and not know i am doing another?

i think contact the univs and ask them. ppl in my skool(Karachi Grammar School, Pakistan) applying to the US do give SAT in december.
Reply 9
Shadey
that have financial packages for international students? i amnt very well off so they will have to be generous! - i am doing 3 SAT 2's

anyone think i shoudl retake the SAT? i wasnt on top form that day i must say

Almost all private unis in the US don't discriminate between domestic and international students.
Reply 10
Bismarck
Almost all private unis in the US don't discriminate between domestic and international students.

MIT has a quota for international students. Last year, only around 100 international students were admitted.

Stanford, however, does not have a quota. I'm not sure about other universities as I'm currently looking at only Stanford and MIT. :smile:

To original poster: I have been told many times that 2200+ is a competitive score for an international applicant.
Reply 11
shellnexus
MIT has a quota for international students. Last year, only around 100 international students were admitted.

Stanford, however, does not have a quota. I'm not sure about other universities as I'm currently looking at only Stanford and MIT. :smile:

To original poster: I have been told many times that 2200+ is a competitive score for an international applicant.

I was answering the thread starter's question about funding. Though this is the first time I ever heard of quotas for international students.
Reply 12
Ah, I see. Stanford does not have need-blind admission. :mad:
Reply 13
Wow, things sure have changed since I took the SAT. There were only 2 scores and the highest total was a 1600:smile: You got pretty good scores, as far as I can tell. I think what matters most, as I'm sure other people have said, is writing a solid entry essay that is precise and creative and creating a list of activities in which you've participated. Show you have leadership.
Reply 14
I know one friend who recently did the SAT I test, and he scored 2320. *shudder*
Reply 15
silkweed
If you want to be truly sickened, you should check out www.collegeconfidential.com

Really useful website, but gosh, the amount of 'I got 2380 will I get into Yale?!' posts and then the disbelief when the 2380 is rejected and the 2160 gets in. :wink:

Classic. :yy: :smile:
Reply 16
I know a few people with 2360's that got rejected or waitlisted at every ivy.
Well a 1950 isn't good, but it is not that bad either. The top unis will not bother, to be honest. If your otehr grades and ECs are good, you've got a chance, but if not, don't be disappointed.
Reply 18
are SAT 1 scores more imp than the SAT 2's
Reply 19
do i hv a gud chance of gettin thru a top university with 1800 in SAT 1 but around 700 each in SAT subject tests in physics and math level 2, with gud application essays n grades?

Latest

Trending

Trending