The Student Room Group

C3 Mathematics

Could someone help with example 12 on page 9. I am unsure, what they mean by "comparing the coefficients in x3" and "comparing the coefficients in x2"

Link: http://www.scribd.com/doc/131321174/Edexcel-Maths-C3#scribd

Thanks!!
Reply 1
The coefficient of x^3 is just the constant by which x^3 is multiplied; likewise for x^2. Since x can vary, for both sides of this equation to be identical regardless of the value of x, we need the coefficients for the different powers of x to be the same on each side.
So what you are doing is comparing the left hand side to the right hand side, as you know they are identical. The coefficient of x^3 is clearly 1. If you multiply out the right hand side, you will find that the only x^3 term is Ax^3. Hence A = 1.
You also know that the coefficient of x^2 is 1. If you multiply out the right hand side, you can similarly find B.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
The coefficient of x^3 is just the constant by which x^3 is multiplied; likewise for x^2. Since x can vary, for both sides of this equation to be identical regardless of the value of x, we need the coefficients for the different powers of x to be the same on each side.
So what you are doing is comparing the left hand side to the right hand side, as you know they are identical. The coefficient of x^3 is clearly 1. If you multiply out the right hand side, you will find that the only x^3 term is Ax^3. Hence A = 1.
You also know that the coefficient of x^2 is 1. If you multiply out the right hand side, you can similarly find B.

Thank you so much!!:smile:
Original post by JamesNeedHelp2
Could someone help with example 12 on page 9. I am unsure, what they mean by "comparing the coefficients in x3" and "comparing the coefficients in x2"

Link: http://www.scribd.com/doc/131321174/Edexcel-Maths-C3#scribd

Thanks!!

Hows C3 and C4 ?I also do Maths and how difficult was the AS maths exams in the summer ?
Original post by Kadak
Hows C3 and C4 ?I also do Maths and how difficult was the AS maths exams in the summer ?

I guess its subjective, harder for some, easier for others. ^^
Original post by JamesNeedHelp2
^^

If 2 polynomials are identical then each element has the same coefficient

ax3+bx2+cx+dex3+fx2+gx+hax^3+bx^2+cx+d \equiv ex^3+fx^2+gx+h

Means a=e and b=f etc

If you have a problem to look at ... Please post it
Original post by TenOfThem
If 2 polynomials are identical then each element has the same coefficient

ax3+bx2+cx+dex3+fx2+gx+hax^3+bx^2+cx+d \equiv ex^3+fx^2+gx+h

Means a=e and b=f etc

If you have a problem to look at ... Please post it