The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by welcometoib
jeez, this a tough crowd, stop firing! can you tell me what it is about his linkedin thats bad?

Have you seen it? Insight days and experience days don't count as working for the company, to say so is falsifying your work history and quite possibly can leave him open to legal action. If he wishes to be an idiot, then he can go for it but it'll end badly for him.
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Sorry to hear that, you don't have to hire me. Not doing too bad for myself.

You're not as employed as you appear on LinkedIn and in your case, you're not employed at all :lol:
Original post by tehFrance
Have you seen it? Insight days and experience days don't count as working for the company, to say so is falsifying your work history and quite possibly can leave him open to legal action. If he wishes to be an idiot, then he can go for it but it'll end badly for him.

You're not as employed as you appear on LinkedIn and in your case, you're not employed at all :lol:

ive looked at it briefly, there are some things such as credit suisse ac which might be perceived as a little different so to speak, for most part though idk. hmm potentially, but would a company really do legal action for him attending an insight day? :confused:
Here's my profile: http://uk.linkedin.com/in/abdulkarimali

Grinded out networking with industry professionals, landed myself an unconventional interview and impressed from there.

Making a name for yourself, differentiating yourself from the competition. This is a people-focused industry.

that profile is just full of pointless things that's really just making an employer put the information in the bin, your writing to much and half of them don't count

Posted from TSR Mobile
ive looked at it briefly, there are some things such as credit suisse ac which might be perceived as a little different so to speak, for most part though idk. hmm potentially, but would a company really do legal action for him attending an insight day? :confused:

No but they'd sue him for putting it down as work experience which it isn't.

If he came to my previous company looking for a job, he'd be laughed out the room and then we'd phone up other firms to warn them about him.
I'd be pretty surprised if that kind of legal action worked out.

If he came to my previous company looking for a job, he'd be laughed out the room and then we'd phone up other firms to warn them about him.

if the first line youve written is true then id be worried, but abdul has interviews at ibs that he has done insights with in the past i think? did you work in finance?
if the first line youve written is true then id be worried, but abdul has interviews at ibs that he has done insights with in the past i think? did you work in finance?

Don't entertain their jealousy.

If he gets a job and the bank discovers any lying on resumes etc, they can fire and sue if they so wish. My contract explicitly stated I'd be sued for such wrong doings.

Yes but to put them down as experience is wrong and will harm him more than help him. Also yes, I worked in finance and I was recently let go due to staff cut backs in the London office, which I should have seen coming after I'd been firing those in the HK office :lol:
Reply 88

Not sure how it works in finance, but from my experience in law you're actively encouraged to put stuff like open days at firms etc. down on your CV as work experience, provided that you are very clear what they are?
Original post by HarryDn
Not sure how it works in finance, but from my experience in law you're actively encouraged to put stuff like open days at firms etc. down on your CV as work experience, provided that you are very clear what they are?

Seriously? I haven't seen nor experienced that at all.

It doesn't count as work experience and is mere padding, it takes less than 9 seconds for a recruiter to decide yes or no, his resume would end up int he no pile.
Hey I am doing a internship in the back office (Finance division) of an investment bank this summer. From what I am aware, graduate salaries in the first year are the same of internship salaries, plus a very small bonus.

My offer is at their near shore office, and the starting salary is £26,000pa. I though this was okay, but now I have found out that the London office pays £35,000pa.

My question is, does it really cost an extra £9,000 to live in London? The gap seems a bit significant considering the jobs are virtually identical.
Original post by Liamp487
Hey I am doing a internship in the back office (Finance division) of an investment bank this summer. From what I am aware, graduate salaries in the first year are the same of internship salaries, plus a very small bonus.

My offer is at their near shore office, and the starting salary is £26,000pa. I though this was okay, but now I have found out that the London office pays £35,000pa.

My question is, does it really cost an extra £9,000 to live in London? The gap seems a bit significant considering the jobs are virtually identical.

Probably not, but London based offices also need to attract the top graduates and the best candidates.
London cost of living is ridiculous and it's essentially the best city in the UK. Of course it'll have a higher salary.

Anyway anybody who says anything above 40k+ is a good salary at 21 and not 30k+ is completely disconnected from reality.
Reply 93
Original post by jam277
London cost of living is ridiculous and it's essentially the best city in the UK. Of course it'll have a higher salary.

Anyway anybody who says anything above 40k+ is a good salary at 21 and not 30k+ is completely disconnected from reality.

yeah - added + 100k as a joke but assuming they're not kidding, the 2 people who voted that haven't been to uni yet AFAIK, which explains a lot :lol:
Reply 94
Don't entertain their jealousy.

Jealousy at your misrepresentation of previous employment and current lack of meaningful employment? Unlikely :smile:
I'd say £18k is a good mark for those who are just graduating or not. The advantage to a degree kicks in when it comes to career progression.
Reply 96
Original post by Rakas21
I'd say £18k is a good mark for those who are just graduating or not. The advantage to a degree kicks in when it comes to career progression.

Why 18k? :redface:
Original post by HarryDn
Why 18k? :redface:

Above minimum wage. Good chance you can move out of your parents, outside London.
Reply 98
IMO 40k
For me as a rule of thumb, I'd say whatever your age is right now in the thousands is a 'good' starting salary for a grad.

'Good' implies slightly better than average.

'Great' would be a starting salary of 28k

'Amazing' would be anywhere above the 40k mark

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending