The Student Room Group

Why is it so hard to get a job? :(

Hey!

I'm currently a full-time student, trying to get Part Time Employment so I can get some income.

I've only ever had one job which was over Christmas due to "not having experience" and now I either don't see any jobs advertise or if I apply, I'm not good enough?

Its unfair, we're all students... so why is the application process so hard, it never used to be!
Original post by Sophie-J
Hey!

I'm currently a full-time student, trying to get Part Time Employment so I can get some income.

I've only ever had one job which was over Christmas due to "not having experience" and now I either don't see any jobs advertise or if I apply, I'm not good enough?

Its unfair, we're all students... so why is the application process so hard, it never used to be!

Keep on trying, you will get something in the end.
Try mcdonalds, they take on a lot of students.
Hey!

supermarkets have high turnover, try asda
This is really ennoying situation. But to tell the truth this is typlical not only for UK students, but for students all over the world (I speak about US from personal experience and from the words of some my frendy's). I always try some online freelance work when some extra money is really needed) I try to write articles or participate in online paid serways. Or I know about diferrent referral programs also! They are developing today in a fast manner, so there is a chance to find some really good stuff!) So good luck:bunny::bunny::bunny:
Reply 4
It's a vicious circle isn't it? I think it's just a case of just keep looking everywhere you can think of and apply for everything you see. Even if you end up being offered something that isn't really what you want to do at least it will give you the experience that they're all looking for and you can then take this on to another job you apply for. I found the Indeed website good but also remember that some companies only list their vacancies on their own websites. Hope you find something soon! Good luck! :banana::banana:
try a supermarket, I was looking for a job and got one at Sainsbury's very soon after i started looking. and they don't seem to care too much about experience since I work with a man who hasn't had a job in something like 20 years

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Thanks everyone!

I'm looking for anything at the moment just to get some income alongside my studies! It is difficult!

I'm keeping my eyes out but can't seem to see any supermarket jobs advertise in or surrounding my areas! :frown:
I always use indeed now as thats where I found most of the previous jobs I applied for as Xmas Temps (unsuccessful)

I did have a Christmas job at M&S but they couldnt keep anyone as they couldnt afford it!

Back to stage 1 now again, looking... Indeed, company websites, Google, having CVs out.

I really would love to get something! :frown:
Reply 7
If you are good in writing you can try some freelance-writing job or any kind of affiliate programs for web-sites.
Supply and demand

Too many people wanting them, too few jobs
Reply 9
This freelance writing and posting is a good idea.
Many people think of scams and do not apply.
But there are plenty of cool authentic websites where you can earn money from.
:colondollar:
Did I help?
What age are you? Don't quote me on this, but I believe it's significantly more difficult for someone of a younger age to get a part time job. (I myself am 16)

Because people are looking for comitted, mature, full timers who aren't currently in any form of education and can be flexible to work any number of hours on any days and over/night shifts.

Also, the amount of jobs compared to the amount of unemployment is far less, companies recieve 100's of applications at a single store location on a daily basis and they have to narrow down to only a couple of those people simply just to interview. Then even out of those few people, they have to choose a best employee to hire (Unless they're offering multiple positions for work)

So, don't let it get to you! Just keep your chin up and keep trying! Something good will come eventually!

Best of luck! :biggrin:
Oh really?? And i thought it was that easy.. Oh naive me!!
Try sainsburys and co. There job advertisments blast my job notifications..
Goodluck
Reply 12
Original post by BBaggins
This freelance writing and posting is a good idea.
Many people think of scams and do not apply.
But there are plenty of cool authentic websites where you can earn money from.
:colondollar:
Did I help?

Really?! I've seen something similar such as earn money for filling in surveys and doing a bit of research but honestly, I do feel that their scams and won't get anything from them!

Thank you - I shall have a research into this :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by AdviceForMe
What age are you? Don't quote me on this, but I believe it's significantly more difficult for someone of a younger age to get a part time job. (I myself am 16)

Because people are looking for comitted, mature, full timers who aren't currently in any form of education and can be flexible to work any number of hours on any days and over/night shifts.

Also, the amount of jobs compared to the amount of unemployment is far less, companies recieve 100's of applications at a single store location on a daily basis and they have to narrow down to only a couple of those people simply just to interview. Then even out of those few people, they have to choose a best employee to hire (Unless they're offering multiple positions for work)

So, don't let it get to you! Just keep your chin up and keep trying! Something good will come eventually!

Best of luck! :biggrin:

I'm nearly 20! :frown::eek: but studying a degree so in full time education! I know how many applications jobs get but its so disappointing when you don't even get through because, they can't see the real me and everything, I have had interviews before but as I didn't have "Experience" they weren't interested.

Now I never see any or don't even get shortlisted! :frown:

I always look at the supermarket websites and jobsites but can't see any in my area! Just want to have a part-time job so I'm not thinking about uni work all the time (will go mad otherwise aha! :tongue:)
Reply 14
Thanks everyone!

I'm looking for anything at the moment just to get some income alongside my studies! It is difficult!

I'm keeping my eyes out but can't seem to see any supermarket jobs advertise in or surrounding my areas! :frown:
I always use indeed now as thats where I found most of the previous jobs I applied for as Xmas Temps (unsuccessful)

I did have a Christmas job at M&S but they couldnt keep anyone as they couldnt afford it!

Back to stage 1 now again, looking... Indeed, company websites, Google, having CVs out.

I really would love to get something! :frown:

I can truly sympathise with you on this, I had to drop out of my two year college course as couldn't get a part time job to make sure I had an income for my second year of college :frown: I live in a small town too where we have had eight stores (not to mention now our local tesco) close down, and I cannot drive either so am severely limited on what I can apply for. I had a full time job in November as a support worker, but they were giving me hours I literally couldn't do (get to or get home and the manager was really unprofessional when I asked for some leeway) so I have been trying to get a job since. But most of the time they look for experience, which I cannot afford to get, as on JSA, all my time is spent literally on applying for jobs.

It's hard when you see how the government's "there are jobs out there" and the daily mail is always on about useless scroungers, especially with the young people, but there are those of us who WANT to work, but are struggling to get work, due to lack of experience and ability to gain more experience.. as sadly work experience (and trust me, I have done months of the stuff over the years) does not pay the bills. I hate how for so many young people where we cannot afford to have the "being young experience" i.e. going out, seeing a friend more than once every six months (when said friends live an hour away but cannot afford the bus fair)

Regardless of whichever government gets in, I hope that they do something to help our generation, as it is not right that we are slipping through the cracks again and again. I really wish you luck on your job search and just wanted to let you know that you are not alone x :smile:
Reply 15
I'm nearly 20! :frown::eek: but studying a degree so in full time education! I know how many applications jobs get but its so disappointing when you don't even get through because, they can't see the real me and everything, I have had interviews before but as I didn't have "Experience" they weren't interested.

Now I never see any or don't even get shortlisted! :frown:

I always look at the supermarket websites and jobsites but can't see any in my area! Just want to have a part-time job so I'm not thinking about uni work all the time (will go mad otherwise aha! :tongue:)

Whereabouts are you based? There are certainly a lot of opportunities in London, sometimes you have to think outside the box. I've never done the whole handing out CVs thing, but I've always had some form of part time work through college and university and have various zero hours jobs at the moment. That said, they're all in London and the university I'm at is 100+ miles away!
Original post by monro
If you are good in writing you can try some freelance-writing job or any kind of affiliate programs for web-sites.

I came across that; how does that work?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending