The Student Room Group

I want to take A levels privately

Hi,
I am 29 and I really want to get back into education. I took some a levels when I was at the normal age, but I didn't do that well, I had a complicated upbringing and I really wasn't in a place to be able to focus on education. Is it possible for me to do the following: just pay for an exam and turn up and take it without having done any formal course? So, basically do all the studying myself to whatever curriculum the exam will be based on and just take the exam? Also would this be possible for this June, as I am 29 and really don't want to waste more time?
Original post by RichMcn
Hi,
I am 29 and I really want to get back into education. I took some a levels when I was at the normal age, but I didn't do that well, I had a complicated upbringing and I really wasn't in a place to be able to focus on education. Is it possible for me to do the following: just pay for an exam and turn up and take it without having done any formal course? So, basically do all the studying myself to whatever curriculum the exam will be based on and just take the exam? Also would this be possible for this June, as I am 29 and really don't want to waste more time?

Hi I'm 29 and am doing a levels as well.

You just need to find a local exam board and ask if you can sit as a private candidate.

Which subjects are you wanting to study?
Original post by RichMcn
Hi,

You would need to contact local exam centers and find those which would take you as a private candidate now. You may have to travel a fair distance to find one, depending on where you live.

However, if you ultimately want to progress to uni, you would give yourself the best chance of getting a place by taking all the A-levels you want to do in one sitting. Equally, you should give yourself the chance to do as well as possible- are you sure you can learn a whole 2 year syllabus in less than 6 months?
Reply 3
I want to study Maths, Physics and Philosophy... I agree maybe trying to learn a 2 year syllabus in 6 months is difficult... Does anyone have an e-mail adress of someone I can contact to talk about these things?
Original post by RichMcn
I want to study Maths, Physics and Philosophy... I agree maybe trying to learn a 2 year syllabus in 6 months is difficult... Does anyone have an e-mail adress of someone I can contact to talk about these things?

Maths in particular will be difficult- maths skills deteriorate relatively quickly and unless you are regularly using calculus in your job (or for some other reason) I think it would be hard to get your skills up to a good standard in the next six months. Physics will probably involve some assessed coursework including having to perform an experiment, so you may have to arrange to do this at an exam center as well- probably before you take your exam.

It would be less than six months, probably closer to 4, as some exams are likely to be in mid-late May.

When you say "someone I can contact to talk about these things" could you be a bit more specific? You may be able to contact individual exam boards, but I'm not sure how much they would be able to help you.

It's also worth bearing in mind that if you want to apply for uni, you would need a referee, preferably one who could comment on your academic competence.

If you want to go to uni soon, an access course starting in September or possibly a foundation year at a uni (you might be able to apply for September start via UCAS extra or clearing) may be a better option.
Original post by RichMcn

Very hard in 6 months, you can either do them next year as and a2 or do an access course. Don't worry too much about time, the main thing is that you're ready to study, it doesn't matter if it takes a little longer than you'd like.

What do you want to study at uni?
Reply 6
I want to study either philosophy or physics, probably physics... Ever since I left school physics,and philosophy have been strong interests of mine, and I read books all the time on physics and especially philosophy which is why I believe I wouldn't need the time it would usually take to study. When it comes to the brute mathematics, that might be difficult for me at this stage. Which exam board would you recomend I contact?
Many universities offer joint honours in Physics and Philosophy, if you are having difficulty in choosing.

I think you will definitely need to look at May 2016 at the earliest for sitting A-levels. There is far too much content to master in a few months. Also, taking the practical exams in Physics could be tricky. There is an exam centre in Bristol where you can do this (3 A Tutors) and they also offer intense practice sessions, but this is quite pricey, and I don't know anywhere else that offers it.

I am currently in my first year of a physics degree, having taken an Access course (Engineering pathway) last year. This might be a better option for you. Although not all universities accept Access for Physics, there are a few good universities that do, and Access is a lot less hassle than trying to organise A Levels as a mature student.

Quick Reply