Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nobody has applied to Durham? :frown:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
I did, to MSc in Global Politics and MA in International Studies. I'm kind of taken aback since I got an offer to International Studies two days after I applied (last week), which I think is just too quick and made me wonder if the program was not competitive at all. Meanwhile from Global Politics they said they were assessing my application and would let me know later on.
Weird right? Or is it normal for them to be that quick?
Reply 3
Original post by meneses.sc
I did, to MSc in Global Politics and MA in International Studies. I'm kind of taken aback since I got an offer to International Studies two days after I applied (last week), which I think is just too quick and made me wonder if the program was not competitive at all. Meanwhile from Global Politics they said they were assessing my application and would let me know later on.
Weird right? Or is it normal for them to be that quick?

I already applied last year and they answered in two days too. I think they tend to accept everybody who meets the requirements and then let the funding agencies do the "dirty job". Don't know about MAs though.
Reply 4
Hi everyone

I applied for the MA Applied Linguistics for TESOL about 3.5 months ago and they are still considering my application. I am worried about my applicaiton not being successful although they explained the delay as being due to the some amendments they had been making in the entry requirements. I've applied for many other universities and received very quick offers except for this one. Any idea?
Reply 5
Original post by Natkarik
Hi everyone

I applied for the MA Applied Linguistics for TESOL about 3.5 months ago and they are still considering my application. I am worried about my applicaiton not being successful although they explained the delay as being due to the some amendments they had been making in the entry requirements. I've applied for many other universities and received very quick offers except for this one. Any idea?

When was your deadline?
Reply 6
Original post by Josb
When was your deadline?

I don't know of any deadlines set for applying for this program. Could it be that they will wait for all applications to be received and then accept or refuse applications?

I'm an international student, so I'm not really familiar with the selection criteria and process in different universities in the UK. All I know is that I already hold offers from Leeds and Essex, which I got in two weeks only. Plus I have a very high GPA and a very satisfactory IELTS score (8). So you can see why I'm surprised.
Reply 7
I don't know of any deadlines set for applying for this program. Could it be that they will wait for all applications to be received and then accept or refuse applications?

I'm an international student, so I'm not really familiar with the selection criteria and process in different universities in the UK. All I know is that I already hold offers from Leeds and Essex, which I got in two weeks only. Plus I have a very high GPA and a very satisfactory IELTS score (8). So you can see why I'm surprised.

It's strange I can't find the deadline for the MA. Wait until the beginning of February, as all the the other postgraduate programs will contact their candidates at this moment.
Reply 8
Original post by Josb
It's strange I can't find the deadline for the MA. Wait until the beginning of February, as all the the other postgraduate programs will contact their candidates at this moment.

Thanks a lot for your help
Reply 9
I'm applying for a PhD as well, but I'm not a UK/EU student, so my deadline (for the DDS) is really not until the end of February...anyone else in the same position?
Reply 10
Original post by preverdy
I'm a French PhD applicant, too... but since I'm not a UK/EU student, my deadline is not until the end of February!

Hi buddy. Don't expect too much from the DDS, last year they could only offer 1,5 scholarships in the Arts. :mad:
I hope you have other options.
Reply 11
Seriously??? Damn. I knew it was ultra-competitive, but there is no transparency...wish my supervisor would not have encouraged me to apply then! :frown: I didn't expect to win, even, but it would have been nice to think I had a chance at it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
Seriously??? Damn. I knew it was ultra-competitive, but there is no transparency...wish my supervisor would not have encouraged me to apply then! :frown: I didn't expect to win, even, but it would have been nice to think I had a chance at it.

Supervisors don't know about it, they discover how much money has been spent in June - like us. However the number of DDS is variable, there were 10 two years ago.
Reply 13
Makes sense, thanks. It all seems to be kept rather mysterious to me. I heard there were 4 (for arts/hums I think) a few years ago, but 1.5 seems ridiculous.

Are you trying for ahrc funding then? :smile:
Reply 14
Makes sense, thanks. It all seems to be kept rather mysterious to me. I heard there were 4 (for arts/hums I think) a few years ago, but 1.5 seems ridiculous.

Are you trying for ahrc funding then? :smile:

Yes, but I am only eligible to a fee waiver. :s-smilie:
Reply 15
For those who are interested, I drew a map of Durham colleges. I mentioned postgrad accommodation. You can zoom up to ground level.

(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 16
Thank you very much for the map. I have been wondering as to which accommodation will be suitable for me (applicant of MA Applied Linguistics for TESOL) if I am offered a place at Durham. I dunno if u can help me with this. I'm looking for a place that fulfills the following criteria: self-catered, en-suite, no transport needed, relatively quiet, a mixture of natural and historical scenery. I thought of St. Chad's, Trinity Hall. Is it a good first choice? If so, what would come next?
Reply 17
Thank you very much for the map. I have been wondering as to which accommodation will be suitable for me (applicant of MA Applied Linguistics for TESOL) if I am offered a place at Durham. I dunno if u can help me with this. I'm looking for a place that fulfills the following criteria: self-catered, en-suite, no transport needed, relatively quiet, a mixture of natural and historical scenery. I thought of St. Chad's, Trinity Hall. Is it a good first choice? If so, what would come next?

You're picky. :tongue:
St Aidan's has 80 ensuites, St Cuthbert's 60, and 22 for St Chad's in Trinity Hall (on the left on the map). That's all for the colleges not too far from the centre.

Otherwise, Butler and Ustinov have a lot of ensuites, but you'll need to walk. University has an ensuite block in Brackenbury, two miles away in the north.

I think many people want to go to Trinity Hall, you won't be guaranteed a place.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 18
Yeah I am very picky :biggrin:
I have just received an unconditional offer from Durham :biggrin: So I think I should seriously make up my mind as quickly as I can about the accommodation thing.
Reply 19
Yeah I am very picky :biggrin:
I have just received an unconditional offer from Durham :biggrin: So I think I should seriously make up my mind as quickly as I can about the accommodation thing.

On the other hand, I think international students are given the priority for accommodation. So fingers crossed, I'm gonna ask St Chad's and St Cuth's.

Latest