The Student Room Group

Am I a jerk?

So I've been best friends with a girl for over a year now. I asked her three days ago if she wanted to go out (like an actual date) and she told me pretty bluntly no and that she never would want to. However she still clearly wants to be friends but I just can't be bothered. I now find talking and spending time with her tedious and I know I shouldn't but I do and I can't change that. Basically I wouldn't care if she never saw me again. Am I a jerk?

To clarify further it's not like I feel she had no right to turn me down or anything and I find guys like that to be pathetic, but since she has my interest in any sort of friendship has gone down the toilet and I feel like I should just tell her I don't care anymore.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
But now she keeps asking why I'm acting differently, and in all honesty sex doesn't bother me. I just wanted her to be someone who I could be close with.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Sluice
So I've been best friends with a girl for over a year now. I asked her three days ago if she wanted to go out (like an actual date) and she told me pretty bluntly no and that she never would want to. However she still clearly wants to be friends but I just can't be bothered. I now find talking and spending time with her tedious and I know I shouldn't but I do and I can't change that. Basically I wouldn't care if she never saw me again. Am I a jerk?

To clarify further it's not like I feel she had no right to turn me down or anything and I find guys like that to be pathetic, but since she has my interest in any sort of friendship has gone down the toilet and I feel like I should just tell her I don't care anymore.

Well if the only reason you were friends with her in the first place was for a potential relationship , then yes it would be wasting time. If you actually valued the friendship, then why not stay friends?
Reply 3
Original post by JackBlack
Well if the only reason you were friends with her in the first place was for a potential relationship , then yes it would be wasting time. If you actually valued the friendship, then why not stay friends?

The first thing to say is that I'm not bothered about sex. Yes I know that sounds like a typical guy thing to say 'I'm different to the others honest' but it's genuinely true. I've been depressed for ~8 years and I have a low sex drive to the point where I rarely get aroused. On the other hand I do like spending time with people because it is the only thing that wards of the ever present spectre of loneliness.

And because although I did value it, it feels hard to semi-let go of feelings. You either keep on being persistent about a relationship (and that just isn't me) or you let go completely
Reply 4
Original post by Sluice
But now she keeps asking why I'm acting differently, and in all honesty sex doesn't bother me. I just wanted her to be someone who I could be close with.

Can you be close to her in a platonic friendship? I know some guy/girl friendships which are decidedly not romantic, but are nonetheless very close...
Reply 5
Original post by emilyb96
Can you be close to her in a platonic friendship? I know some guy/girl friendships which are decidedly not romantic, but are nonetheless very close...

Not after asking her out and getting rejected. The thing is she didnt even make any attempt to say 'I value you as a friend' or anything so I kind of felt like it was that or nothing
Reply 6
Original post by Sluice
Not after asking her out and getting rejected. The thing is she didnt even make any attempt to say 'I value you as a friend' or anything so I kind of felt like it was that or nothing

Fair enough. In that situation, you can either say outright "btw, let's not be friends anymore" (phrasing more or less blunt, as you prefer :L), or you can just be civil and let things peter out of their own accord. I tend to go for the latter, but that can lead to awkwardness... Up to you, and best of luck.
Reply 7
Fair enough. In that situation, you can either say outright "btw, let's not be friends anymore" (phrasing more or less blunt, as you prefer :L), or you can just be civil and let things peter out of their own accord. I tend to go for the latter, but that can lead to awkwardness... Up to you, and best of luck.

Well considering how much time we used to spend together, everything from shopping to breakfast to watching tv late at night, spending 0 time with her and not replying to anything on social media will be pretty obvious but I think its the only way. I just need to go my own way and that's completely alone
Reply 8
Original post by Sluice
Well considering how much time we used to spend together, everything from shopping to breakfast to watching tv late at night, spending 0 time with her and not replying to anything on social media will be pretty obvious but I think its the only way. I just need to go my own way and that's completely alone

In that case, it's probably politer and clearer to give an explanation along the lines of: "Hey, I'm sorry to have to say this, but I don't really think we're on the same page in terms of what we want from each other, and it would be easier for me if we didn't stay in touch on a non-professional basis anymore. Obviously, I'd like us to stay on good terms at work, but I don't want to continue our relationship in any other way. I hope this oesn't come across as rude or bitter, but I thought it would be best to be clear, so that we both knew what page we're on. All the best."
Reply 9
yes

nb - I haven't read your post
Original post by Sluice

I support you. If you just cant continue with the friendship no problem. Maybe it was the fact that she was so blunt instead of letting you down easy that set you off. Coming from her point of view she might be upset and sad if you want to end the friendship
Original post by Sluice

Yes you are. She isn't interested in dating you and wants to be friends with you, so now you feel less bothered because you probably aren't going to get what you want out of this friendship. So yes, you are a massive jerk.
Reply 12
In that case, it's probably politer and clearer to give an explanation along the lines of: "Hey, I'm sorry to have to say this, but I don't really think we're on the same page in terms of what we want from each other, and it would be easier for me if we didn't stay in touch on a non-professional basis anymore. Obviously, I'd like us to stay on good terms at work, but I don't want to continue our relationship in any other way. I hope this oesn't come across as rude or bitter, but I thought it would be best to be clear, so that we both knew what page we're on. All the best."

We aren't at work. We're at uni
Reply 13
Original post by Ekemini
I support you. If you just cant continue with the friendship no problem. Maybe it was the fact that she was so blunt instead of letting you down easy that set you off. Coming from her point of view she might be upset and sad if you want to end the friendship

Tbh I expected she would say no but the bluntness hit me. It's almost like she was pretty disgusted by the suggestion
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by thunder_chunky
Yes you are. She isn't interested in dating you and wants to be friends with you, so now you feel less bothered because you probably aren't going to get what you want out of this friendship. So yes, you are a massive jerk.

You've pretty just explained how the mind of every human since ever works. What's the point of a friendship that feels forced? Sometimes you have to do things you don't want to for other people but friendship? It's supposed to be mutual.

She doesn't want a relationship
I don't want a platonic friendship

We just aren't meant to be friends
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Sluice
We aren't at work. We're at uni

Change it to suit (ie. seeing each other in lectures/halls/equivalent). You obviously don't have to send something like this, but if you were this close then I would say it's the courteous thing to do.
Reply 16
Original post by Sluice
Tbh I expected she would say no but the bluntness hit me. It's almost like she was pretty disgusted by the suggestion

She might also simply have been trying to make sure she didn't lead you on at all. Rejecting people is hard to do right.
Original post by Sluice

Aha. Now I see. I would also find it awkward to continue a friendship after that.
Reply 18
Original post by Ekemini
Aha. Now I see. I would also find it awkward to continue a friendship after that.

Considering she isn't exactly a stranger to sleeping with disgusting guys who she admits that she cant believe she ever looked twice at, it's just rubbing salt in the wound.
Reply 19
She might also simply have been trying to make sure she didn't lead you on at all. Rejecting people is hard to do right.

Well I've rejected people before but if they have been close I have usually tried to at least reassure them that I like them

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending