The Student Room Group

Is my friend being sexually discriminated against?

At my work place, there are 4 people who do the same role.

One full timer- George, paid £20k

3 part timers- Clare, Daisy and Natalie, paid £23k (pro rata)

George was here before the others. George also has more experience than the others.

Can George sue for sexual discrimination for being paid less than the 3 women doing the same job?
Well it depends on his hourly wage and other factors as well. I think he should not sue. That is the last option, you first go to your employer and ask for a raise without mentioning sexual discrimination. You escalate as needed.
Reply 2
Original post by TrackerJacker
At my work place, there are 4 people who do the same role.

One full timer- George, paid £20k

3 part timers- Clare, Daisy and Natalie, paid £23k (pro rata)

George was here before the others. George also has more experience than the others.

Can George sue for sexual discrimination for being paid less than the 3 women doing the same job?

He has to go through the company internal grievance procedure before he can present to the ET.
Original post by Okorange
Well it depends on his hourly wage and other factors as well. I think he should not sue. That is the last option, you first go to your employer and ask for a raise without mentioning sexual discrimination. You escalate as needed.

His hourly wage is lower than his female counterparts

If he asked for a raise, he would need to present his case- he should be paid equal to the others not less
Original post by Clip
He has to go through the company internal grievance procedure before he can present to the ET.

ET?

If he asked for a raise, he would need to present his case- he should be paid equal to the others not less

If his hourly wage is actually lower than he still should at first ask for a raise without mentioning sexual discrimination. Sexual discrimination is a pretty drastic accusation because you are basically saying: you are discriminating against me because of my gender. Whether the employer actually sexually discriminated intentionally against you or not, it is a pretty drastic accusation and can be pretty offensive and accusatory. Even if things are sorted out, it could be a career hinderer.
Original post by Okorange
If his hourly wage is actually lower than he still should at first ask for a raise without mentioning sexual discrimination. Sexual discrimination is a pretty drastic accusation because you are basically saying: you are discriminating against me because of my gender. Whether the employer actually sexually discriminated intentionally against you or not, it is a pretty drastic accusation and can be pretty offensive and accusatory. Even if things are sorted out, it could be a career hinderer.

What if they refuse to give him a raise, meaning that his hourly wage remains 15% lower than his female co workers.

Can he take it further then?
What if they refuse to give him a raise, meaning that his hourly wage remains 15% lower than his female co workers.

Can he take it further then?

Yes then you escalate. You can go up further up the chain of command or you can mention how your coworkers are paid more etc. If they refuse to give a logical explanation for the difference or a raise then you can take it further to sexual discrimination.

Depending on the type of job and whether or not its a temporary job or a career you can also try to switch jobs, its often better not to ruffle too many feathers or burn bridges and just leave. Sometimes they just don't give people raises because they want them to leave.
He has to be 100% sure that it is sexual dscrimination and that he is being paid less. Also, is the job description exactly the same?
Original post by OU Student
He has to be 100% sure that it is sexual dscrimination and that he is being paid less. Also, is the job description exactly the same?

Yes job description is identical and the girls have told us their salaries.

George was here a good few months before them, and he is if anything the team leader as the only full timer
Check his privilege tbh.
Reply 10

ET?

Employment Tribunal.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending