The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Arkasia
Yeah that 3-2 Stoke game was horrific but not a long term issue. Just like us getting dicked by the Scousers in the league last year, but beating them in the FA Cup run. Old Trafford is the only impossible game left in for us.

Have Arsenal ever played well there? The only time they've ever won was that game where Ramsey got beaten up.
Original post by sr90
Have Arsenal ever played well there? The only time they've ever won was that game where Ramsey got beaten up.

Playing against Stoke, we can just summarize the game as "that game where X got beaten up".

We never really play well there, but we aren't absolutely horrific. The record at Stoke is currently 10W19L for us, so yeah they win more often than not, but it's not out of the question, especially in a cup game, and especially when defending champions.
Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce
Nope. You'll get Crystal Palace and United will get Derby County. Thats what im predicting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Whatever it is, I just hope we're at home if it's a fellow prem side, if we're drawn with lower league opposition then I wouldn't particularly mind playing away.
Tom caresses the ball like no other.
Original post by Arkasia
Playing against Stoke, we can just summarize the game as "that game where X got beaten up".

We never really play well there, but we aren't absolutely horrific. The record at Stoke is currently 10W19L for us, so yeah they win more often than not, but it's not out of the question, especially in a cup game, and especially when defending champions.

I'm talking about recent years, not the 1980s.

Anyway they're not even through yet! I wouldn't mind a local derby against Rochdale, don't think we've ever played them.
Reply 265
We can beat any team in the FA Cup we just beat Man City at the Etihad so we can beat United and Liverpool away also.
Original post by sr90

Anyway they're not even through yet! I wouldn't mind a local derby against Rochdale, don't think we've ever played them.

Since 2010/11, 2D3L, so yeah worse, but hardly the same kind of mental block we have against United.

I suppose but let's be real, a Rochdale win against Stoke isn't going to happen (quote me if I am wrong, I would absolutely love to be), and our only hope is if you cock up to a PL team like Palace or Liverpool.
Original post by al_94
We can beat any team in the FA Cup we just beat Man City at the Etihad so we can beat United and Liverpool away also.

We usually play well against City, and even when we lost 6-3 last season, it was far closer than the scoreline suggests. Same with Liverpool, I am confident we could win.

Not United though, we always outplay them but there is just something about the respective mindsets that means Old Trafford (like the Bridge under Mourinho) is as close to a fortress against us as it gets.
Reply 268
Original post by Arkasia
We usually play well against City, and even when we lost 6-3 last season, it was far closer than the scoreline suggests. Same with Liverpool, I am confident we could win.

Not United though, we always outplay them but there is just something about the respective mindsets that means Old Trafford (like the Bridge under Mourinho) is as close to a fortress against us as it gets.

We outplayed United thotoughly last time but we missed big chances. If Wilshere scores that chance we would have probably won. 9/10 we would have won that game we were just not clinical. Now that Walcott is back I can't see United beating us especially if he gets into good form.
Utd have put us out of the Cup 3 times since 2005 IIRC and of course there was the Giggs semi final in 1999, so they have form against us. But I wouldnt be distraught at a home tie against them really although even then they can take us to the replay and beat us so obviously best avoided if possible
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce
I think you've forgotton that United arent in Europe or the COC. An added fixture wont be so bad for us.

Posted from TSR Mobile

every little helps
Original post by sr90

Man Utd's "offshoot" club played against them (forgot which season it was)
And won 3-2
Original post by al_94
We outplayed United thotoughly last time but we missed big chances. If Wilshere scores that chance we would have probably won. 9/10 we would have won that game we were just not clinical. Now that Walcott is back I can't see United beating us especially if he gets into good form.

That's what I'm saying. Our ability isn't the question, we just haven't got the confidence or mentality to score.
Tbh an away tie to any of the PL teams left will be tricky given that Wenger will likely be rotating the squad. Confident we can beat all of them at home.
Reply 274
Original post by Arkasia
That's what I'm saying. Our ability isn't the question, we just haven't got the confidence or mentality to score.

So basically you're saying Wenger out?
Can't wait until we thrash you in the next round :laugh:
Wenger's economics degree coming in handy

The man is a proper superscrimper. Every penny counts mentality
(edited 9 years ago)
Lol @ the notion Wenger controlling the exchange market.
Reply 278
Subtle bait Is subtle

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by al_94
So basically you're saying Wenger out?

No, I'm not.