The Student Room Group

A- Level Biology

What is A level biology like exam board OCR? Does it have a lot of maths? I am definitely taking chemistry an hoping to medicine at uni so want to know what bio is like
OCR is quite good, their textbooks for AS and A2 are really helpful, clear and easy to understand. There is very little maths involved; they may ask you to work out a percentage or the size of something in a photomicrograph, but that's about it really.
Feel free you have any other specific questions about OCR Biology :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by whatacrydonnie
OCR is quite good, their textbooks for AS and A2 are really helpful, clear and easy to understand. There is very little maths involved; they may ask you to work out a percentage or the size of something in a photomicrograph, but that's about it really.
Feel free you have any other specific questions about OCR Biology :smile:

Thanks for you reply, is it a big jump from GCSE as I am predicted an A in GCSE ( double science) and do enjoy biology.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by JohnLE
Thanks for you reply, is it a big jump from GCSE as I am predicted an A in GCSE ( double science) and do enjoy biology.

I don't think the content itself is that much of a step up from GCSE, it's just a lot more information. (However I got an A* in single science GCSEs, so I may find it easier than someone who did double science.) A lot of the topics are the same from GCSE to AS, eg. the first chapter is cell structure, but they're covered in more detail. It's good that you enjoy biology, you'll definitely find it easier because of it. Are there any particular topics you enjoy? I'm doing A2 at the moment so I can tell you about either year
I'm doing AS OCR biology and chemistry right now.
Biology is not a lot of maths at all! It's so much more interesting now than at gcse and isn't as challenging as Chemistry.
Chemistry has more maths in it at AS.
They're both really great A-levels though
But revise as you go along or you will struggle a lot!

I think the fact you're doing double sciences will make you struggle a lot more for chemistry... as the early content is mainly triple science stuff.
(edited 9 years ago)
I do all three sciences with OCR. I think you will find biology easier than chemistry, but they are both great subjects to take. With biology, as long as you understand the topics and learn the contents, you should be able to get a good grade. With chemistry, once you understand it, the main thing will be to practice the topics by doing past papers. I think the biggest difference between GCSE and A-level exams, is that for A-levels the mark schemes are so much more specific.
Original post by JohnLE
What is A level biology like exam board OCR? Does it have a lot of maths? I am definitely taking chemistry an hoping to medicine at uni so want to know what bio is like

I do the three OCR sciences.
There is a huge amount to remember and understand. Some of the questions you can give a completely correct answer, but if it's not on the mark scheme you won't get any marks, so a lot of it comes down to making sure you understand the questions and mark schemes.

Sadly there isn't a lot of maths in A-level biology. There are generally about 3 marks per paper, usually calculating magnification or something or describing trends in data.

Chemistry is also good. There is a lot more maths involved, particularly at A2 and there are a lot of other kinds of questions that require logical thought (eg. nomenclature, analysis). There is still a lot to understand and remember, but not as much as biology.
Original post by JohnLE

I think that there is a huge step up from GCSE. It's just down to the sheer amount that you have to learn and remember.

Do it if you enjoy biology. I have really enjoyed A-level biology.
Reply 8
Original post by whatacrydonnie
I don't think the content itself is that much of a step up from GCSE, it's just a lot more information. (However I got an A* in single science GCSEs, so I may find it easier than someone who did double science.) A lot of the topics are the same from GCSE to AS, eg. the first chapter is cell structure, but they're covered in more detail. It's good that you enjoy biology, you'll definitely find it easier because of it. Are there any particular topics you enjoy? I'm doing A2 at the moment so I can tell you about either year

I enjoy Variationa nd classification and homeostasis. Plus how does it differ from AS to A2
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by tcameron
I'm doing AS OCR biology and chemistry right now.
Biology is not a lot of maths at all! It's so much more interesting now than at gcse and isn't as challenging as Chemistry.
Chemistry has more maths in it at AS.
They're both really great A-levels though
But revise as you go along or you will struggle a lot!

I think the fact you're doing double sciences will make you struggle a lot more for chemistry... as the early content is mainly triple science stuff.

I'm willing to work hard for chemistry A level as I do enjoy it at GCSE and have been getting mostly A/B in small tests.
Original post by JohnLE
I'm willing to work hard for chemistry A level as I do enjoy it at GCSE and have been getting mostly A/B in small tests.

I hope you keep the motivation on for the whole year!
The sixth form I go to you can only do AS sciences with A* grade at GCSE and yet still many struggle to get high grades in A-level chem.
Just revise as you go along and don't leave things you don't understand lagging behind.
Good luck :biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by tcameron
I hope you keep the motivation on for the whole year!
The sixth form I go to you can only do AS sciences with A* grade at GCSE and yet still many struggle to get high grades in A-level chem.
Just revise as you go along and don't leave things you don't understand lagging behind.
Good luck :biggrin:

Thanks, the one I'm hoping to go to asks for either a B in core and additional science (double science) or a B in Chemistry (or physics, bio):smile:

Quick Reply

Latest