The Student Room Group

ADVICE PLEASE: Possibly leaving university during second year

Hi
Recently I've been really considering leaving university. I'm currently studying Marketing at Huddersfield Uni, however since the start of my course I have never really enjoyed it. I love living here, the lifestyle and the social side of uni, but I've been kidding myself into staying doing a course which is making me feel permanently down in order to maintain the lifestyle.
I do want to leave uni, however since a meeting with my tutor at uni I've been persuaded to stay until the end of the year in order to attain my Diploma in Higher Education instead of leaving nothing.
The thing is I still want to leave. I really can't bare university, I think I'm sick of education. I discussed it over Christmas with my parents and they told me they'd support me whatever my choice to do is. Since then, I've been in contact with a marketing and design agency back home, who have offered me a 3 month trial working in their digital marketing department, where they would train me from the bottom and teach me. I'm willing to learn and work myself up and I'm eager to get working.
Now I've told my parents that I'll stay and stick it out until the end of the year but I literally can't bare the thought of all of the work between now and then.
If ANYONE can give me some advice I'd be really appreciative. So confused right now and not sure what to do...

Thanks
Reply 1
Take the trial job. That's the kind of thing graduates can expect to get and if they're offering you it now take it and run.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
It's definitely worth getting a job in industry for the experience.

However, you need to remember that in the long term, without any formal qualifications, it can hinder your potential for salary and promotions despite how good you might be at your job.
Reply 3
There are also financial implications to leaving during a year, rather than after it finishes.

If you leave during the year, your Student Finance will stop. You will be expected to repay second year Maintenance Loans/Grants for the year, immediately. If you're locked into a tenancy agreement, you have the double whammy of then having no income with which to pay your rent to the end of the contract.

If you leave after the end of the academic year, you will revert to the standard repayment terms, where you pay in small instalments after you reach the £21,000 threshold. Also, you won't have to return any grant element.

Unless your parents' support extends to a significant financial contribution, you might want to try and postpone your job until after the exam period, and limp through the rest of your coursework/exams as best you can.

After this, you won't have enough SF entitlement to start a new degree from scratch in future. It might be best to wring as much out of this attempt as you can if you're being offered the Diploma. If you can postpone the job start, it might make continuing at uni for a few more months, a bit more bearable.
At the moment I only get the minimum maintenance loan, if I dropped out then I'd have to repay the academic year's loan that I've already received, straight back? Also what would happen to my tuition fees for the rest of the year? Would they just go onto the loan that I need to repay when I start earning a certain amount of money??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending