The Student Room Group

What should I do about Work?

So I just got into Uni doing biochemistry and its my second semester.Ideally when I leave I would like to enter into a graduate medicine course but I know that in order to do that I would have to carry out some work experience in a hospital.Also while looking at my course content I found that in my second year I would have to carry out 50 hours of paid or volunteery work so I was wondering if there is any way to work in a hospital on volunteering basis for a very long period of time ie more than a year instead of just overshadowing a doctor.

Thank you
Reply 1
Voluntary work is essential , you pretty much use to do that. Shadowing can help an application by demonstrating you understand what is involved with being a doctor (provided you actually took something from it) but shadowing isn't essential (not everyone can get a shadowing placement!)
An hour a week volunteering for 2 years is far better than a week of solid voluntary work. They're looking for commitment.

Ideally you should look to volunteer some of your time from now on in a hospital/caring environment, interacting with patients. If you do end up on a biochemistry placement or a job, you'll end up working indirectly with doctors. You could try and pull some strings in the department, if it feels appropriate, to get some shadowing experience. You can always pass it off as CPD and getting an idea of the 'wider reaches' of healthcare.
Reply 3
Original post by MJK91
An hour a week volunteering for 2 years is far better than a week of solid voluntary work. They're looking for commitment.

Ideally you should look to volunteer some of your time from now on in a hospital/caring environment, interacting with patients. If you do end up on a biochemistry placement or a job, you'll end up working indirectly with doctors. You could try and pull some strings in the department, if it feels appropriate, to get some shadowing experience. You can always pass it off as CPD and getting an idea of the 'wider reaches' of healthcare.[/QUO

Thanks that sounds like a good idea.What is CPD exactly?
Reply 4
Original post by MJK91

Ideally you should look to volunteer some of your time from now on in a hospital/caring environment, interacting with patients. If you do end up on a biochemistry placement or a job, you'll end up working indirectly with doctors. You could try and pull some strings in the department, if it feels appropriate, to get some shadowing experience. You can always pass it off as CPD and getting an idea of the 'wider reaches' of healthcare.

What is CPD?
Original post by koolcat
So I just got into Uni doing biochemistry and its my second semester.Ideally when I leave I would like to enter into a graduate medicine course but I know that in order to do that I would have to carry out some work experience in a hospital.Also while looking at my course content I found that in my second year I would have to carry out 50 hours of paid or volunteery work so I was wondering if there is any way to work in a hospital on volunteering basis for a very long period of time ie more than a year instead of just overshadowing a doctor.

Thank you

Can I ask what uni you're at and how BSc biochemistry is going?
I myself am also considering doing a graduate medicine course and I've applied for BSc biochemistry atm.
Reply 6
Original post by selenerrr__x
Can I ask what uni you're at and how BSc biochemistry is going?
I myself am also considering doing a graduate medicine course and I've applied for BSc biochemistry atm.

Biochemistry for now is going really well for me.The first semester touches on what you learnt during scottish advanced highers (equivilent to A levels) and then brings in other new aspects of both chemistry and biology.But then again Im guessing that it will get a lot harder in 2nd year as for first year you only need 40% to pass.Ive actually just finished my first set of exams for this year and I think its gone well.
It just really resides on how well you study from the begining and how good you are from staying clear of unnecessary distractions.
Original post by koolcat
Biochemistry for now is going really well for me.The first semester touches on what you learnt during scottish advanced highers (equivilent to A levels) and then brings in other new aspects of both chemistry and biology.But then again Im guessing that it will get a lot harder in 2nd year as for first year you only need 40% to pass.Ive actually just finished my first set of exams for this year and I think its gone well.
It just really resides on how well you study from the begining and how good you are from staying clear of unnecessary distractions.

why was it you chose to do BSc Biochemistry and not apply directly for medicine?
Reply 8
Original post by selenerrr__x
why was it you chose to do BSc Biochemistry and not apply directly for medicine?

I didnt have the right grade for direct medicine
Original post by koolcat
What is CPD?

Oh you're in for a treat. Continuing Professional Development.

Basically you'll have to keep on top of a portfolio, continually reviewing your progress and skillset throughout your career. As part of it you'll get to attend conferences/away days/research days to keep up your 'development'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending