The Student Room Group

Job at Uni?

I'm going to university this year and have firmed my offer.
Its getting serious now and I'm starting to think about it all. I currently have a job in a clothing store part-time and its great for some extra money. The company I work at is great for transferring, so if I really wanted to, I could transfer my job to where I'm going to uni.

Thing is, I'm not sure if I should transfer or not. For my first year, I wanted to enjoy it without a job, so currently I'm saving money from my wages into a savings so I wouldn't have to work. At first, I was set on quitting when I go to uni, but now its getting closer and closer, I dont know if having a job would be better. I'm sure it would put a strain on my social life a little in first year, although it would give me extra money to spend.

I really dont know what to do, I was thinking maybe if I quit, I could get a job when I'm out there if I end up needing one, although it may be harder because of all the students doing the same thing.

Definitely need advice on this please!
Thanks,
- Hayley x
Reply 1
Unless you can save a lot of money, I think that you should definitely keep a part-time job whilst studying.
It's nice to be able to have the luxury to eat out and not live off cornflakes once in a while.
Keep the job. It will be much better long term and you should still have time for a social life.
Reply 3
Try going with the transfer for your first term. It's nice to have a job you can just walk into - finding something part-time in a uni town/area can be difficult because of the sheer number of students looking for work. If you can't cope with work, uni and social life, you will at least have the savings to fall back on if it doesn't work out.

Having said that, many undergrads have to work part-time as SF doesn't often cover all uni costs. It's definitely manageable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending