The Student Room Group

What should I take for my 4th subject in A' levels?

Helloo everyone!

I will be taking A' levels this coming September. Currently, the subjects that I have chosen so far are Maths, Economics and Physics. I am planning to do economics for my degree. So, what subject would you recommend to take as a 4th subject in A'levels and why? Also, if I didn't take physics in GCSE, would it be really tough in A'levels? Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Hey Liann

First of all you have a very solid combination of A Levels. Note that you don't need to take Economics at A Level to gain entry to an Economics degree. For example the London School of Economics have an entry requirement of A*AA with the A* in Maths and they specifically state Economics at A Level is not required. (Note this is mirrored across all Russell Group Universities)

With Physics I'm assuming you didn't pick triple science so you're doing a double science GCSE anyway (i.e Two modules of Bio, Chem and Physics instead of all three for each) You need a very strong background for Physics and it would be hard if you didn't have a stand alone Physics GCSE (It's still hard with one :s-smilie:) I strongly suggest you only pick Physics if you enjoy it, not because you think you "need" it as you will struggle if this is your only motivation.

For you fourth AS many Universities look for Further Maths as an AS and don't mind if you don't carry it onto A2 (Though they'd prefer it if you did) But again don't choose it if you don't love Maths, it just won't work for you.

Quick Reply