The Student Room Group

Help with IB Courses

Hello, I'm planning on studying Aerospace Engineering at University and my course choice so far is:

Math HL
Physics HL
Chem HL
Lang and Lit SL
French B SL
Business and Management/Econ SL

Although it seems like I've got it all together, I need help on that last one. Business and Management is only offered online at our school while we have an Econ class, but I think I'll be more interested in B&M. The second problem is that I need to get at least a 41 (I want to apply to Cambridge). So, what do I take? Online course that interests me, or classroom course that mehs me?

Thanks guys :adore:
If I were you, I'd take Econ as I believe that is more highly looked upon than Business and Management.

Also, don't rely on a points offer of 41 if you were to be given an offer. I got an offer of 42 and I've actually seen people on here with offers of 45, which is, ofc, an absolute joke. As well as this, your highers are the three most difficult highers and so you should want to make your standards as easier for you as possible. I wouldn't think an online course without an actual teacher is the best way of doing this. However, I don't know how you work and so I can't anticipate what would be the best way forward for you :smile:.
Reply 2
Although B&M is considered easier, for someone scientific like you Eco is probably a better option as it requires you to think a bit more 'scientifically', interpreting graphs, etc. You should be able to get a high score in either, so I'd go for Eco. If you do a few weeks of it and do't like it, it shouldn't be too difficult to switch to B&M. Good luck :smile:
Reply 3
Trinity College, Cambridge posted a list of preferred subjects on there website (a levels) and business studies was under the list of subjects that aren't preferred so I definitely recommend you go for economics - its a well respected academic subject and its way easier to get a 7 in it, B&M is actually really hard to get a 7 in. Since you're maths/science oriented you should have no problem doing well in economics as its very logical!

Good luck - work hard and efficiently and you shall hopefully get those 41+ points! :smile:
Reply 4
Thank you all for your help. :borat:

I do have another question though: What else can I do, apart from getting high IB scores, to help my chances at getting into Cambridge?
Oxbridge mainly look for the passion that you have for your subject, as they want students who will really immerse themselves in the subject. To increase your chances, try to do activities beyond the school curriculum and outside the classroom which show that you are really passionate about what you want to study, as this is what Cambridge will be looking for primarily alongside your academic qualifications.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lympi81
Thank you all for your help. :borat:

I do have another question though: What else can I do, apart from getting high IB scores, to help my chances at getting into Cambridge?

Lots of reading around your subject. Online courses such as those on www.futurelearn.com are also worthwhile. Watch Ted talks, maybe go to some conferences that spark your interest?

Quick Reply