The Student Room Group

TSR is a forum where males are more vocal, and abuse/sexism/arrogance is rewarded?

What do you think?

I have noticed that responses to most threads, apart from the degree/ offer holder/ job threads, posts start off being quite respectful, sociable and reasonable, and then the same names appear, and give their arrogant, narcissistic, self-centered, 'logical' and judgmental opinions. They are always male, often white, usually heterosexual. It's almost like a mental illness a lot of them have. I say white because most people in UK are white, and most users are from UK, and many of them have photos of themselves. But not always white(!).

I've also noticed that they tend to dominate discussions on TSR. The same few boys/ young men appear everywhere, they are abusive, rude and dismissive and literally have acquired 'legend' status because of it. Does anyone else find this disturbing. I am new to TSR, why is this? Is this a thing you all know about?

Also, I see the word sexist and misandry being used a lot, against the female posters who are brave enough to actually speak. This is something I've not encountered irl and my friendship group is mixed! Who are these boys/men? And why does everyone accept their abuse? I've literally watched threads descend into hatred, female posters being attacked for the views, or male posters saying the same thing, after abusing them, and being congratulated for their insight.

I feel like there's something I'm missing :s-smilie: Is there rule about males/females on here? Why are people so rude here?

I thought about leaving because, was quite shocked, but you can't leave.There is no deactivate button? So would love to hear from people and your views, especially posters that don't usually post at all or feel silenced.

Thanks
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I've actually had posts removed because of those males you're describing, even though I did nothing but stand up for women and myself. It's extremely annoying and I don't quite know why it's happening. All I can assume is that the men on here aren't getting attention in real life, so seek it by being misogynistic and horrible, to be one of the 'lads' which they don't get in real life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Many of the most eminent posters are ladies. Precious Illusions and Maid Marian for instance. They give as good as they get.
Reply 3
Just use the report function if you feel a post is offensive and inflammatory.
This place is full of guys who don't get attention in real life, so instead turn to the Internet. You only have to look at how many 'never had a girlfriend' threads are posted everyday to see that *eye roll*

A lot of people on here are alright though
Don't forget the "If you don't go to Oxbridge you're a failure in life" repertoire.
Original post by Anonymous

They are always male, always white, usually heterosexual. It's almost like a mental illness a lot of them have. I say white because most people in UK are white, and most users are from UK, and many of them have photos of themselves. But not always white(!).

This was a really weird paragraph.

That aside, people on the internet tend to be more brusque and confrontational because you don't have to worry about courtesy and social niceties.

Also, it depends on the topic. If the topic is religion, politics, current affairs, society etc. then people are going to have stronger opinions and that will obviously lead to a highly-charged debate. If you go into the forums about hobbies, applications and uncontroversial chat then it's a lot more laid-back.

If you want to leave then you don't need to deactivate your account, you can just stop coming on to the website.
Yeah the original post hit the nail on the head. A lot of outspoken girls have left, its a toxic atmosphere for women and Muslims on this forum.
Reply 8
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Don't forget the "If you don't go to Oxbridge you're a failure in life" repertoire.

And the STEM supremacists.
Reply 9
X

And last year there was a guy who created dozens of threads against feminists. "Jamie" sth. :rolleyes:
Original post by bronwencerimarsh
I've actually had posts removed because of those males you're describing, even though I did nothing but stand up for women and myself. It's extremely annoying and I don't quite know why it's happening. All I can assume is that the men on here aren't getting attention in real life, so seek it by being misogynistic and horrible, to be one of the 'lads' which they don't get in real life.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really? Yeah maybe, it is always interesting to imagine what posters are like irl. Actually a bit worrying, like what if what of my close friends is actually like this on the internet? I mean I don't think so, but being on here has made me think.

Also I admire your courage to write your mind so to speak, even if it does get removed. I went anonymous because I just can't deal with it all the time.
Original post by the bear
Many of the most eminent posters are ladies. Precious Illusions and Maid Marian for instance. They give as good as they get.

Ah okay, well I'm new to this and haven't come across them yet. It's just, it seems that female posters 'get' more.
Ah okay, well I'm new to this and haven't come across them yet. It's just, it seems that female posters 'get' more.

you are in for a treat :wink:

there are other excellent lady posters too. also some moderaters ?
Reply 13
The physical, politically correct world has consequences for having dissenting opinions. This is slowly changing with the death of liberalism and my generation being the most anti-social-justice of any, but the state is still run by leftist hippies from the 1960s-1980s.

The internet is not like that. People can be honest on here, and while the government surveills everything, they are in no position to punish the silent majority who hate political correctness. They can censor public broadcasters, education institutions and even public speech, but internet speech is simply too great in volume and too unpredictable to censor.

So it's not that the internet promotes "hateful" speech, but rather than the world is still quite politically correct, where honesty is punished. Just consider the fact that 17% of young women in my generation consider themselves feminist. The number has never been higher than 50%. However, every broadcaster, every public figure, every politician has to pretend to be a feminist, or at least not publicly come out as an anti-feminist. Feminists are, in my experience, one of the most unpopular political groups around, yet enjoy blanket political support. Immigration is a similar issue.

The world has changed, and the internet has played a big part in letting people realise that their un-PC viewpoints are not only not weird and not reprehensible, but normal, popular and widespread. The reason you think the internet promotes "horrible men" is because you live in a bubble where no man can say anything to you without your highly-strung response being treated with utmost sympathy while he risks vilification or punishment.

Pop your bubble sweetie. Reality isn't as nice as the clouds, but only by accepting the world as it really is will you grow and find happiness. :smile:
Original post by tillytots
This place is full of guys who don't get attention in real life, so instead turn to the Internet. You only have to look at how many 'never had a girlfriend' threads are posted everyday to see that *eye roll*

A lot of people on here are alright though

Yeah haha. I saw some guy advertising for a girlfriend. As in paying someone, per month.

Yeah I suppose you're right, but they seem to get drowned out or stop posting.
Reply 15

Can you put a link to one of these threads?
Reply 16
Original post by bronwencerimarsh

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've actually had posts removed because of females like you and OP, even though I did nothing but stand up for men and a decent society with morals. It's extremely annoying and I don't know why it's happening. So I'm going to come up with a guess that makes me feel good about myself. I can only assume that those women don't get any attention in real life, so seek it by being horrible misandric bullies, to feel like their lives mean something - a feeling they don't get in real life.

Stupid personal attacks are fun. :smile:
Original post by tengentoppa
This was a really weird paragraph.

That aside, people on the internet tend to be more brusque and confrontational because you don't have to worry about courtesy and social niceties.

Also, it depends on the topic. If the topic is religion, politics, current affairs, society etc. then people are going to have stronger opinions and that will obviously lead to a highly-charged debate. If you go into the forums about hobbies, applications and uncontroversial chat then it's a lot more laid-back.

If you want to leave then you don't need to deactivate your account, you can just stop coming on to the website.

Lol. I just wanted to highlight that I'm not attributing to the behaviour to being white, just that I've noticed that many of these posters are also white.

Yes, probably. But you can say what you think without putting others down. I mean, it's only the internet, but I find it quite stressful.

Yes I could do that. Just seems a shame as there is it seems there is a lot to gain too.
Original post by 41b
The physical, politically correct world has consequences for having dissenting opinions. This is slowly changing with the death of liberalism and my generation being the most anti-social-justice of any, but the state is still run by leftist hippies from the 1960s-1980s.

The internet is not like that. People can be honest on here, and while the government surveills everything, they are in no position to punish the silent majority who hate political correctness. They can censor public broadcasters, education institutions and even public speech, but internet speech is simply too great in volume and too unpredictable to censor.

So it's not that the internet promotes "hateful" speech, but rather than the world is still quite politically correct, where honesty is punished. Just consider the fact that 17% of young women in my generation consider themselves feminist. The number has never been higher than 50%. However, every broadcaster, every public figure, every politician has to pretend to be a feminist, or at least not publicly come out as an anti-feminist. Feminists are, in my experience, one of the most unpopular political groups around, yet enjoy blanket political support. Immigration is a similar issue.

The world has changed, and the internet has played a big part in letting people realise that their un-PC viewpoints are not only not weird and not reprehensible, but normal, popular and widespread. The reason you think the internet promotes "horrible men" is because you live in a bubble where no man can say anything to you without your highly-strung response being treated with utmost sympathy while he risks vilification or punishment.

Pop your bubble sweetie. Reality isn't as nice as the clouds, but only by accepting the world as it really is will you grow and find happiness. :smile:

All probably very true.
Original post by redferry
Yeah the original post hit the nail on the head. A lot of outspoken girls have left, its a toxic atmosphere for women and Muslims on this forum.

lol especially black girls... I remember this place used to have at least 3 threads on why we are ugly.

Quick Reply

Latest