The Student Room Group

School Direct Trainees 2015 *those who have accepted an offer* :)

Just thought I would create a thread for people who have successfully accepted an offer for school direct this September, to chat, discuss, rant, or ask questions!
I accepted my unconditional offer on Friday!
Anyone else out there with an offer or acceptance?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi there, I accepted an offer in November......School Direct (unsalaried) at Warrington Teaching School Alliance. On the Early Years route (3-7).
Passed my QTS tests in Nov too after a bit of panic over my maths!!
6 months left in my current job.....aahhhh!!
I am a mature student. Will be 37 when I start. Married with a 7 and 4 year old and 20 years work experience x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie and like Pineapple pie I'm also 'a mature student' (a few years ahead of you though Pineapple pie!), I have 4 youngish children and a career of 30 years in technology (giving more clues away to my possible age now!).

I have a bit of a dilemma that I'd like comment on. I have been offered a secondary schools direct salaried place at one school (an exceptional school) and another non-salaried place at another very good school (both for sciences). My dilemma relates to the PGCE side of things as on the salaried route I will effectively thrown in to the deep end with a 50% teaching timetable, whereas on the non-salaried route I would build up to a teaching timetable (as I understand it). Having read many interesting posts on this forum, I'm trying to get a handle on the level of and type of workload associated with PGCE, particularly when you have a timetable to contend with. I have been used to working long hours but not those that require lots of essay writing etc.

Thanks ... and looking forward to the conversations to follow in the coming months!

Anyone out there who has a similar background and has, or is in, a salaried place undertaking the PGCE as well ...... I'd love to hear about your experiences. I have to make my choice in the next few days. It is a tough decision, both would be great schools to work in but I have a slight tendency towards the salaried place but I am concerned that it may be too much with the PGCE on top. Is it doable realistically (with family considerations etc)?
Reply 3
Hi, another career changer for 2015 here...... I went non - salaried with secondary maths as that was actually better than a salaried position once the bursary is taken into account....... Do you qualify for one of the bursaries?
Original post by neilcn
Hi, another career changer for 2015 here...... I went non - salaried with secondary maths as that was actually better than a salaried position once the bursary is taken into account....... Do you qualify for one of the bursaries?

Yes I qualify for a physics bursary which is good, but the training fees have to come out of this and by the time all is taken in to account the salary I have been offered is a bit higher. It's just enough to cover the family budget. However I am concerned that the combination of a 50% timetable and PGCE might kill me! That's why I'm trying to get a handle of what's involved and the comparative workload level of PGCE with a salaried place and PGCE with a non-salaried place.

I have read some fairly daunting stuff and not understanding the actual workload of timetabled trainee teacher makes the decision difficult. I suppose I'm trying understand the real life differences between salaried and non-salaried places. I'm not sure what each does on a daily basis ..... and would really value some real world viewpoints ...
Have you posted these questions on the NQT & current PGCE students threads? You might get a response from someone who has made a similar choice x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hiiiiii 😄 I accepted an offer for schools direct in the Liverpool area! Mine is for primary. Can not actually wait to start! Well done everyone who has got a place!! X
Original post by grommit_lad
Yes I qualify for a physics bursary which is good, but the training fees have to come out of this and by the time all is taken in to account the salary I have been offered is a bit higher. It's just enough to cover the family budget.

I went to a School Direct information evening at my local consortium, and they clearly stated that Maths and Physics trainees are better of financially doing the unsalaried route. This is partially because of the bursary, but also because of other things you are entitled to as a student. They showed us the figures and they were definitely better off on the unsalaried route.
Original post by fluffyowl
I went to a School Direct information evening at my local consortium, and they clearly stated that Maths and Physics trainees are better of financially doing the unsalaried route. This is partially because of the bursary, but also because of other things you are entitled to as a student. They showed us the figures and they were definitely better off on the unsalaried route.

What else do are you entitled to? I'm intrigued!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pineapple pie
What else do are you entitled to? I'm intrigued!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Things that spring to mind are financial help towards childcare and also student loans for tuition fees. I can't remember the other things now because it wasn't that relevant to me (I am interested in primary)! If you do the salaried route, you don't have student status, so lose anything that students are entitled to (like eligibility for the 16-25 railcard, which you can get as a mature student if you are over 25). I may have a paper copy of the presentation they gave at home - I did see if it was on their website but it isn't unfortunately.
I hadnt considered childcare help because my husband works full time. But this would be a massive help if it's a possibility.
Will have to do some research.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I received two offers this week from outstanding schools within the same consortium and after long deliberation I feel I have definitely made the right choice. They want me to start in June/July to observe lessons and get used to how they teach the curriculum.

Though I would be better off financially doing the unsalaried route I chose salaried as I think it would be better for my personal development to be in a school from day 1.

Does anyone know when I should officially get an offer through UCAS? Also they said I would have yet another interview at the IoE - any experiences with the university interview?
Reply 12
I was offered two places on non salaried school direct places in Nottingham in January, both alliances working with Nottingham Trent Uni. I made a decision a few days later, and cannot wait to start. Lots of work involved I know, but will be 100% worth it. I am almost 25 and have had a graduate job for almost 3 years, so will be a big change!
Original post by fluffyowl

I think it depends on the salary you are offered. The presentations I saw at the various teacher training events I went to only every compared it to the basic non-qualified salaried teacher pay scale. Having considered all my options and having gone through the process and been lucky enough to be offered a non-salaried and salaried post I chose the salaried route.

As I understand it, if it is the basic unqualified teacher scale then the bursary (from my calculations) was better, but you have to take the training fees out etc of that (c £8800). However there is some flexibility in the unqualified teacher salaried scale that is, from my limited experience negotiable, and the school can get a top up grant to cover it (this I found out from my Premier Plus advisor who was very helpful ... no one else curiously mentioned it to me?!?). I stated my case to the school, they (fortunately) wanted me and agreed it .... so I'm financial better off than if I'd have taken the bursary approach (of course I may not be mentally better off at the end of the salaried training ... but that's to find out!) Also there is the 'maintenance' grant that can be applied for depending on the family income to help top up (I've four children so, to coin a phrase, 'every little helps'! Also for me, being salaried, means that I'm 'in the system' paying tax and NI contributions and on the schools books .... which hopefully in a small way may assist in leading to a permanent post at the end of the training period (it's a cracking school and I would love to get a permanent position there).

But at the end of the day, irrespective of the route, congratulations to one and all that get a training place ... it's been journey and a half already and the marathon is yet to come! Those still battling though it don't give up .... stamina and resilience are likely to be the order of the day for the rest of our lives!
I accepted an offer today from a SCITT/SD route, which offers a PGCE as well as QTS. So excited, although a little daunted at the prospect! Well done to everyone else :smile:
Hi all,

I've accepted a SCITT/SD in Nottingham for September. So excited to start and finish my current job. I've passed my PSTs and am waiting for DBS (which will be fine).

Is anyone else in the process of applying for student finance?
I'm doing an RE training - anyone else?
Original post by shanzy_91
Hi all,

I've accepted a SCITT/SD in Nottingham for September. So excited to start and finish my current job. I've passed my PSTs and am waiting for DBS (which will be fine).

Is anyone else in the process of applying for student finance?
I'm doing an RE training - anyone else?

I'm dreading having to apply for student finance. Have you started? What did you put for your training provider, since technically in a SCITT it can't be the university providing the PGCE, can it?
I've started it but it's a bit of a 'mare! I used the name of SCITT as the training provider which was easier enough to find. The name of the course wasn't tho - mine was listed as postgraduate initial teacher training and not by subject as I thought it would be.

I applied independently as I'm 24 have been working since graduating but I've had to reapply as SF have rejected by application as my income wasn't high enough for 11/12 tax year 😤 Had to reapply based of household income.

Original post by beanbrain
I'm dreading having to apply for student finance. Have you started? What did you put for your training provider, since technically in a SCITT it can't be the university providing the PGCE, can it?
I've started it but it's a bit of a 'mare! I used the name of SCITT as the training provider which was easier enough to find. The name of the course wasn't tho - mine was listed as postgraduate initial teacher training and not by subject as I thought it would be.

I applied independently as I'm 24 have been working since graduating but I've had to reapply as SF have rejected by application as my income wasn't high enough for 11/12 tax year ������ Had to reapply based of household income.

In fairness, I did mine and got it all awarded and done within two weeks... It was so much easier than when I was an undergrad!

I applied independently as I'm 24 have been working since graduating but I've had to reapply as SF have rejected by application as my income wasn't high enough for 11/12 tax year 😤 Had to reapply based of household income.

Errr... this leaves me in a cold sweat. I'm technically independent, since I'm now 25, but I took a couple of gap years abroad, so I actually have only just started working since I graduated. Does this mean that I'm going to have to apply as an independent person, have it rejected, and then have to reapply based on the househould income?!?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending