The Student Room Group

Netflixers Assemble!!!!

Hello fellow netflixers, are any of you having problems accessing US Netflix today?

Worked fine yesterday, but just cant get on to it now.

I must say, that if they have blocked VPN users, well then they have lost a customer.

Watching paint dry > UK Netflix.
Reply 1
They have blocked VPN users. Or they're going to, from what I've heard.
Reply 2
Original post by lustawny
They have blocked VPN users. Or they're going to, from what I've heard.

mixed reports.

It's been rumoured they will block VPN users but their official statement said they are implementing no changes to the policy.

are you a netflixer?
Reply 3
Original post by swirly
mixed reports.

It's been rumoured they will block VPN users but their official statement said they are implementing no changes to the policy.

are you a netflixer?

I'm a UK Netflix user, but I agree with you that it's pretty ****. I'm probably going to start using a VPN, if they're not about to block them. What sort of stuff do they have on the US one?
Reply 4
Original post by lustawny
I'm a UK Netflix user, but I agree with you that it's pretty ****. I'm probably going to start using a VPN, if they're not about to block them. What sort of stuff do they have on the US one?

I only really use it for comedy sitcoms

I switch between US and Canadian netflix: Parks and Rec, Community, Friends, Parks and Rec, HIMYM, that 70s show, Bob's Burgers, Fresh prince of bel air

Cant say I've really browsed the other genres
Reply 5
bump for urgent help
I'm a Netflix user, what's VPN?
Original post by King Leonidas

It basically allows you to "fool" Netflix that you're accessing it from the US. The shows that are available depend on the country that you're in because of licensing restrictions. There are a lot more shows available in the US than in the UK, so you can get access to more stuff on Netflix by using a VPN. But Netflix has been under pressure from the motion picture industry lobbyists to crack down on VPN usage.
Reply 8
Original post by King Leonidas

its this add on you add to chrome, basically it lets you choose whichever country you want to browse netflix from, the best are US and Canada. Interestingly countries like Somalia have no netflix library at all.

im cancelling my netflix tomorrow, if I still cant get on to US netflix, as I expect a lot of people will be.
Reply 9
Original post by Chlorophile
It basically allows you to "fool" Netflix that you're accessing it from the US. The shows that are available depend on the country that you're in because of licensing restrictions. There are a lot more shows available in the US than in the UK, so you can get access to more stuff on Netflix by using a VPN. But Netflix has been under pressure from the motion picture industry lobbyists to crack down on VPN usage.

do you netflix through VPN?
Original post by swirly
do you netflix through VPN?

No. I used a VPN for a while but then I had a suspicion that the VPN plugin I was using was malware, so I got rid of it. For some reason I've not got a different one since. Have they really already blocked VPN access?
Reply 11
Original post by Chlorophile
No. I used a VPN for a while but then I had a suspicion that the VPN plugin I was using was malware, so I got rid of it. For some reason I've not got a different one since. Have they really already blocked VPN access?

oh wow no, it just worked.

it has been increasingly hard to establish a connection since the rumours they were blocking VPN access though.

---

Flee Netflixers! Flee! Ill see you again in my 15 second breaks
I used to VPN, but stopped as I heard they were banning accounts that tried to access US Netflix. I don't pay for the sub so don't want to be responsible for getting it banned.

Shocking policy, just makes people resort to even less "legitimate" methods of watching films but oh well
Reply 13
Original post by AdamCee
I used to VPN, but stopped as I heard they were banning accounts that tried to access US Netflix. I don't pay for the sub so don't want to be responsible for getting it banned.

Shocking policy, just makes people resort to even less "legitimate" methods of watching films but oh well

I cant see them banning accounts permanently, they will lose millions in revenue from losing so many users. they would stand to lose a lot if they blocked VPN access too, which I think is why they have been hesitant to do anything thus far.
Original post by swirly
I cant see them banning accounts permanently, they will lose millions in revenue from losing so many users. they would stand to lose a lot if they blocked VPN access too, which I think is why they have been hesitant to do anything thus far.

I can't remember exactly how it works, but I guess if there are complaints from the film companies (or DCMA? Something like that) as they don't have permission for people in England to be viewing the films, perhaps they're being legally forced?

I always thought they were using the excuse that "oh well, we can't tell who is using a VPN" because you know it's making them money, but since Sony hacks and stuff I've noticed there has been muuuch more crackdowns on this sort of thing online
Reply 15
Original post by AdamCee
I can't remember exactly how it works, but I guess if there are complaints from the film companies (or DCMA? Something like that) as they don't have permission for people in England to be viewing the films, perhaps they're being legally forced?

Yes I would expect they are being pressured by film studios to crack down on it, with the threat of them taking legal action against Netflix for breach of contract.

Works like this. Netflix purchases a license (a permission) to show something in the US, and will pay the film studio a fee for this license. Now naturally, if Netflix wanted a larger license to show the film in the UK too, this would command a higher licence fee.
The film studios are probably angry they are being stifled out of money by Netflix purchasing a smaller territorial license than reflects its actual users.
in for normal thread of the day

Quick Reply

Latest