The Student Room Group

Help... Need to choose A levels

Hi, I'm currently doing my gcses and am currently choosing my A levels. I think I'm going to tak Maths, Economics, physics and pe but need some advice, I would like to eventually become an Investment banker or Actuary as they sound quite interesting and have good wages, can anyone give me advice on which A levels to take in order to help me succeed? (Want to do economics or maths at university)
Have you thought about Further Maths?
Reply 2
I have yes, would it be beneficial?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Being an investment banker is more about where you go to uni so aim for oxbridge, LSE. Actuary is all about maths so maths and futher maths are helpful.
Reply 4
Would Warwick be a good university to go to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tomparry14
Hi, I'm currently doing my gcses and am currently choosing my A levels. I think I'm going to tak Maths, Economics, physics and pe but need some advice, I would like to eventually become an Investment banker or Actuary as they sound quite interesting and have good wages, can anyone give me advice on which A levels to take in order to help me succeed? (Want to do economics or maths at university)

I don't think PE will help you get onto a financial course.
It depends on what you like and what's available. Further maths would be best, accounting would also be good.

If you don't want to take those or can't, you could do anything quantitative such as chemistry.

Three relevant A-levels is generally all they ask for.
Reply 6
Pe was more of a subject to look forward to but drop it after a year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics if you want to stand a good chance of studying at Oxbridge, Imperial, LSE and UCL for your degree. Investment banks usually target these universities.
Reply 8
I have yes, would it be beneficial?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, definitely. My friend is doing Maths with the intention of doing Investment Banking, and FM is included in his offers for Warwick and LSE. I'm not 100% sure if it's an entry requirement, you would have to check on their websites, but I imagine they prefer you to have it. That, and I'm sure it would make life easier for you when you were actually at uni if you had done it. It would for sure be more relevant than PE.
Reply 10
Original post by _thequeen
Yes, definitely. My friend is doing Maths with the intention of doing Investment Banking, and FM is included in his offers for Warwick and LSE. I'm not 100% sure if it's an entry requirement, you would have to check on their websites, but I imagine they prefer you to have it. That, and I'm sure it would make life easier for you when you were actually at uni if you had done it. It would for sure be more relevant than PE.

Don't want to be rude but what are they predicted ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't want to be rude but what are they predicted ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think 3A*'s, in Maths, FM and Physics.
Reply 12
That's pretty impressive

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by _thequeen
I think 3A*'s, in Maths, FM and Physics.

Mine's a little higher.
Just look at unis offering the degree you wish to do and take whichever A Levels are needed!! You'd be surprised how many people randomly pick their subjects and then are baffled when they realise they don't meet the criteria needed for their course at uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest