The Student Room Group

If I don't pass my maths skills test by July 1st, does anyone know what will happen?

Ok, so. I rather stupidly wanted to give myself time to revise for my skills test so booked them both in January of this year. But my maths was cancelled. I managed to pass my English first time (YAY), but with there being a three month wait, I have had to book my Maths for April this year. It will be my first attempt, and I'm not going to lie, I'm not great at Maths. I am going to do my utter best to pass it first time, but I wanted to know (as i won't be able to book another before the july 1st deadline) what will happen if i don't pass it? Will I have to wait till next year to apply again to University? Will they still consider me, so long as I pass before I start?

Thanks for any help! A tad worried about it, and it is one thing that could get in the way of me starting a teaching course this year! x
Reply 1
As far as I am aware, and what other universities have said during application phase, is that they can not legally let you study a teaching degree without confirmation that toy have passed both skills test. It is not the universities that make up the rules, it is the teaching body.
Original post by EllieRSmith
Ok, so. I rather stupidly wanted to give myself time to revise for my skills test so booked them both in January of this year. But my maths was cancelled. I managed to pass my English first time (YAY), but with there being a three month wait, I have had to book my Maths for April this year. It will be my first attempt, and I'm not going to lie, I'm not great at Maths. I am going to do my utter best to pass it first time, but I wanted to know (as i won't be able to book another before the july 1st deadline) what will happen if i don't pass it? Will I have to wait till next year to apply again to University? Will they still consider me, so long as I pass before I start?

Thanks for any help! A tad worried about it, and it is one thing that could get in the way of me starting a teaching course this year! x

Is it possible to book one for May and one for June ... Just in case and then cancel them if you pass?

If you do not pass in April then I would suggest contacting the university and asking them directly
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by TenOfThem
Is it possible to book one for May and one for June ... Just in case and then cancel them if you pass?

If you do not pass in April then I would suggest contacting the university and asking them directly

I did think I would of been able to do that, but I can only book one at a time. Might give the skills test customer service a call to see if I can book some back-ups as that would solve my problem really!

I will definitely call the University if I don't pass to see where I stand though.

Should have been more organised really, but can't help it now! Thank-you for your help though!
Reply 4
Original post by EllieRSmith
I did think I would of been able to do that, but I can only book one at a time. Might give the skills test customer service a call to see if I can book some back-ups as that would solve my problem really!

I will definitely call the University if I don't pass to see where I stand though.

Should have been more organised really, but can't help it now! Thank-you for your help though!

I also suggest you post this question in the Education and Teaching subforum on TSR rather than Maths, as it's really more relevant to the people who post regularly in E & T i.e. prospective teachers and current PGCE students etc. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest