The Student Room Group

The truth bout egineering degrees?

*just noticed the typos in the title but can't figure out how to edit it, sorry!
The Truth about engineering degrees? *

I've been interested in studying an engineering degree at uni (most likely chemical engineering) but the more I read about it the more negative reviews I see.

Does an engineering degree really provide lots of opportunity for travel, good wages, career development etc or is it really not all that great?

I am in no way adverse to hard work - I am more than willing to work hard at whatever degree I decide to do, but I want to make sure I have a rewarding job with good opportunities a the end of it!
Also - is chemical engineering the 'best' route to go for an engineering career or are there other branches which I should also look into more.

Studing maths, physics, biology and ICT at AS with the intention of either continuing these 4 subject into A2 level, or dropping ICT and taking Further Maths AS ans 3 A2 next year.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by niamhus123
Does an engineering degree really provide lots of opportunity for travel, good wages, career development etc or is it really not all that great?

Yes.

Also - is chemical engineering the 'best' route to go for an engineering career or are there other branches which I should also look into more.

I don't understand this portion of your question. Chemical is the best route into chemical engineering, and the same applies to other branches with regards to their respective degrees.
Reply 2
Engineering is a very wide field. Chemical engineering seems to be a well paid sector but of course, it depends a lot of the person and what opportunities there are. For example, with the decrease in the oil price, the once bouyant oil sector has seen job loses. Its also an international profession and you have to compete with people from the cheaper countries like India and China with the same qualifications.
Engineering is a terrific career. Interesting, varied, challenging and well paid.

As others have said, there is a very wide range of engineering disciplines but all are in demand.

Land a job in a world class company and suck up as much training and experience as you can get. Make sure you aim for chartered status and you can then pick and choose where you go from there.
Civil engeering would land you a job the second you leave varsity

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I don't understand this portion of your question. Chemical is the best route into chemical engineering, and the same applies to other branches with regards to their respective degrees.

Sorry, perhaps I didn't make this clear enough. What i meant to say was, is chemical engineering the best branch of engineering in terms of opportunities, travel, job satisfaction etc or would something like civil engineering be a better 'branch' to consider?

Quick Reply

Latest