The Student Room Group

Should Euthanasia (assisted Suicide/dying) be made legal?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chlorophile
x

Original post by aoxa
Personally, I'd rather die than get to the stage in life where you can't do anything for yourself.

Original post by zippity.doodah
x

Original post by scriberg
x

Original post by Drunk Punx
I don't know about you, but I'd rather end my life with quiet dignity than slowly lose all control over my body before succumbing to a horrifically painful and drawn out death. It's my life, I'll end it if I want to. The government should have no say in that whatsoever.

Just out of interest - have any of you put in place an advance decision (living will) to try to make sure your wishes are taken into account if you end up in any of the common situations where they tend to apply?

common statements

It's a REALLY easy process to do (there's a pack here: http://compassionindying.org.uk/library/advance-decision-pack/ ), doesn't cost a penny and means you're much less likely to end up in the situation where assisted dying would be an issue.

The whole point of the process of living wills is that you put them in place and on file when you're healthy (and ideally have these conversations and any thoughts you have on organ donation with your loved ones and next of kin so that they can advocate on your behalf and aren't pressured to make decisions without knowing your own wishes).

This isn't really a post looking to debate, I'm just a horribly practical person and can't resist sharing info that might be useful to people.

I just set up my will, power of attorney and advanced decision paperwork last year as part of a package and it always surprises me how few people with very strong opinions on assisted dying have actually taken the time to take up the rights they currently have to control their end of life care. [Plus of those 3 documents this one is a piece of piss to set up....power of attorney is by far the biggest pain in the arse I've ever come across].
Reply 21
Original post by DiddyDec
What is stopping them from killing themselves currently?

A significant portion of those who request Euthanasia are disabled....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending