The Student Room Group

Applying for Access to Learning and Hardship funds. Do I have a case?

I've applied for hardship for the following reasons:
My loan doesn't cover my rent,
For the above reason I can't eat or pay for my accommodation next year or get what I need for university.
My father, who was helping me financially, died, leaving me unable to support myself.
I have a long standing mental health issue.

Do I have a suitable case?
It sounds like you do have a case.

Have you, if you haven't done already, informed student finance that your dad has died? This should mean that if he was the only one supporting your application, you're classed as independent. Either way, you should get more loan. And possibly a grant.
Original post by the-green-faerie
I've applied for hardship for the following reasons:
My loan doesn't cover my rent,
For the above reason I can't eat or pay for my accommodation next year or get what I need for university.
My father, who was helping me financially, died, leaving me unable to support myself.
I have a long standing mental health issue.

Do I have a suitable case?

I'm really sorry to hear your father has died, and I hope you get the support you need from university. You could also try speaking to the CAB, as they may be able to give you some help with non-uni related issues.

However, for the long term, you need to inform student finance about your change in circumstances. This should entitle you to more loan and grant, which should help you pay your rent and survive. It may also mean you can access bursaries from your university.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending