The Student Room Group

Is a driving license essential for a PGCE?

Hi!

Is a driving license essential for a PGCE, or for the teaching profession in general?

I earned my driving license in September last year, but I haven't drove since (except for maybe 2 x 15 drives around the estate), simply because the insurance is way too expensive. I'm not a confident driver as such, so realistically I will have to use public transport to get to uni and/or placements during the PGCE course, which I may be starting this September. I think it'll be much easier to handle the work load if I'm driving, but my lack of experience and not being able to afford to is bothering me. I've spoke to a few teachers who say it is essential, but I'd like to get more opinions.

Is there anybody who has done their PGCE without a driving license, or is a teacher now without one? If so, how did you find it and/or how are you finding it now?
Original post by o-glez
Hi!

Is a driving license essential for a PGCE, or for the teaching profession in general?

I earned my driving license in September last year, but I haven't drove since (except for maybe 2 x 15 drives around the estate), simply because the insurance is way too expensive. I'm not a confident driver as such, so realistically I will have to use public transport to get to uni and/or placements during the PGCE course, which I may be starting this September. I think it'll be much easier to handle the work load if I'm driving, but my lack of experience and not being able to afford to is bothering me. I've spoke to a few teachers who say it is essential, but I'd like to get more opinions.

Is there anybody who has done their PGCE without a driving license, or is a teacher now without one? If so, how did you find it and/or how are you finding it now?

You mean "I haven't driven since".

It's not essential. You will be asked to state whether you have a car or not - just say you haven't.
Reply 2
Original post by Mr M

It's not essential. You will be asked to state whether you have a car or not - just say you haven't.

I see. Where did you study for your PGCE, if you don't mind me asking? Did you have a driving license?
Original post by o-glez
I see. Where did you study for your PGCE, if you don't mind me asking? Did you have a driving license?

UEA and yes. Most people on my course did not drive though.
Sounds familiar. I haven't driven since 2010. I was never a confident driver and I never bought another car after my last one failed its MOT. I'm thinking it will be ok for the PGCE year as it's only a year in duration and, in theory, transport should be taken into account when placements are decided. I'm hoping I'll be able to afford a car once I get first proper teaching job. I think as a teacher, depending on where your school is, it would be a real pain to have to rely on public transport all the time. Plus it might limit what schools you can work at if they're difficult to get to without a car.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
A car is not essential.

Most universities say that you can be placed anywhere within 90 mins travelling time (each way). Those without cars though, were generally placed much closer to where they were living (from what I can remember, very few were placed far away, unless they asked to be). You will be asked to fill in a form before you are placed where you will specify if you have a car or not. If you would rather not drive, just tick 'no'.
I'm on the PGCE now and don't drive (just started lessons). It's caused no issues. :-)
Reply 7
Thank you everyone who's responded :smile:
The impression I'm getting is that its not at all important for ITT, but having a car is more of a luxury. However it may be more important in securing your first job.
Original post by o-glez
However it may be more important in securing your first job.

"Do you have a car?" is not a question that is ever asked so has absolutely no bearing on securing a job. It may affect your decision to apply for a job of course.
Reply 9
I am doing a PGCE at the moment, and we had to fill in a form for placements regarding travel arrangements. I was lucky that my first school was on a bus route close to my house. I don't know where my second placement is yet, but I am really hoping it is close. It would be nice to have a car, so I wouldn't have to lug folders and stuff around, but its not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

I think it will be more important when it comes to your first job. I am finding this at the moment. I have seen a few jobs come up already that I would have applied for, but I didn't due to the lack of public transport. I could try to pass my test over the summer, but if I failed it I would be in trouble, and realistically I won't be able to afford a car until I have a job, so its a bit tricky!
Reply 10
Original post by o-glez
Thank you everyone who's responded :smile:
The impression I'm getting is that its not at all important for ITT, but having a car is more of a luxury. However it may be more important in securing your first job.

no... it will not be essential in helping you secure an NQT position. You will not be asked at an interview 'can you drive'... The only possible way you could deem it essential is in the sense that it means you have access to jobs that are further away.

If you are placed in a far away school in your PGCE, you will usually be placed with people who drive. My first placement school was a 65 mile round trip each day and there were 12 of us there. 4 had a car.

My second placement is a 30 minute walk away.
Reply 11
Original post by Samus2
no... it will not be essential in helping you secure an NQT position. You will not be asked at an interview 'can you drive'... The only possible way you could deem it essential is in the sense that it means you have access to jobs that are further away.

If you are placed in a far away school in your PGCE, you will usually be placed with people who drive. My first placement school was a 65 mile round trip each day and there were 12 of us there. 4 had a car.

My second placement is a 30 minute walk away.

I see. Its interesting that you mention that. I didn't realise you are placed with other students (or at least there's a possibility of it). I'd have thought you were left on your own. Thanks for sharing :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by o-glez
I see. Its interesting that you mention that. I didn't realise you are placed with other students (or at least there's a possibility of it). I'd have thought you were left on your own. Thanks for sharing :smile:

Obviously it depends on a variety of factors (cohort size, whether or not the school are accepting multiple PGCE students etc) but on my course anyway, most people are with another trainee!
We are finding that having car isn't essential, but that its more difficult for those without cars. My first placement was 30mins by car or 1 hour by public transport. My second placement is 20 mins by car but also an hour by public transport. The hours soon add up. I'm lucky that I am 45 miles from my Uni so I'm happy to accept the placements that are further away.

We are expected to travel 100 mins each way.

As maths we are a large cohort, so placements are tight, and people are finding that both of their placements have been at least an hour away.The majority of those who had a beasty commute on the first placement have a lesser commute of their second one, but this is only the majority. Due to the cohort size, there are normally 2 of us in each school, if the school is big enough.

It has no bearing on securing your NQT year job.

Quick Reply