The Student Room Group

Applying for Political Theory Masters as English Literature Graduate

Hey guys,

I graduated from Manchester in English Literature in 2013 with a low 2:1, to cut a long story short, I had a disastrous last year and completely messed up my chances of getting a first. After taking a year out of education and doing some serious thinking about the whole thing, I decided that I wanted to go back into university, but through the study of Political Theory, which I feel is more suited to my general interests. I have decided to make applications to LSE (MSc Political Theory), UCL (MA Legal and Political Theory), Sussex (MA Social and Political Thought) and Birkbeck (MSc Social and Political Theory), which I feel would give me a variation of ambitious (and perhaps rather unlikely) and more realistic places to get in to.

Despite large periods of my degree being rather shambolic (due to personal reasons) and not being able to develop much of a rapport with tutors, I have managed to secure 2 references from my university, and I have spent the last few months trying to get together a personal statement.

This has proved really difficult for me, but I am managing to make some headway, and I am trying to explain that during my English degree I followed a line of enquiry through literary criticism that was informed by political ideas pertaining to marxism, power/hegemony and dominant ideologies, cultural materialism and post-colonial criticism ...I was wondering if anyone had any advice for somebody in my position who is:

-Applying for a postgraduate in a different subject
-Applying after taking a year out
-Doesn't have a formal background in pure political thought, but desperately wants to study the history of political ideas and use this course to develop their interests to perhaps go onto do a PHD

Many thanks
Original post by JM040292

You've really just got to apply and hope, and let the universities decide. I wouldn't say you had really got any 'more realistic' options in that list, they are all very mainstream and you might have to set your sights lower. I certainly can't see UCL or LSE making an offer without something very compelling in your application. Manchester might be more sympathetic to an alum.

You've probably got to have something more than just 'desperation' behind your application and a couple of years in a political/politics based job would enhance your application significantly.
Original post by JM040292
Hey guys,

I graduated from Manchester in English Literature in 2013 with a low 2:1, to cut a long story short, I had a disastrous last year and completely messed up my chances of getting a first. After taking a year out of education and doing some serious thinking about the whole thing, I decided that I wanted to go back into university, but through the study of Political Theory, which I feel is more suited to my general interests. I have decided to make applications to LSE (MSc Political Theory), UCL (MA Legal and Political Theory), Sussex (MA Social and Political Thought) and Birkbeck (MSc Social and Political Theory), which I feel would give me a variation of ambitious (and perhaps rather unlikely) and more realistic places to get in to.

Despite large periods of my degree being rather shambolic (due to personal reasons) and not being able to develop much of a rapport with tutors, I have managed to secure 2 references from my university, and I have spent the last few months trying to get together a personal statement.

This has proved really difficult for me, but I am managing to make some headway, and I am trying to explain that during my English degree I followed a line of enquiry through literary criticism that was informed by political ideas pertaining to marxism, power/hegemony and dominant ideologies, cultural materialism and post-colonial criticism ...I was wondering if anyone had any advice for somebody in my position who is:

-Applying for a postgraduate in a different subject
-Applying after taking a year out
-Doesn't have a formal background in pure political thought, but desperately wants to study the history of political ideas and use this course to develop their interests to perhaps go onto do a PHD

Many thanks

I don't think any of the points you mention will hold you back from getting onto a masters program. You need to talk about how your undergrad degree has prepared you for this course and for masters study, how the course fits in with your interests and career plans, what you've done in your year out that'll benefit you on this course. You might want to find out about research interests at each uni and talk about why they're interesting to you. You need to tailor each personal statement to each uni.

Quote if you want a reply!
BSc Biochemistry with a year in industry, University of York
PhD in molecular biology, Queen Mary University of London

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending