The Student Room Group

University friends

I'm going to try and keep this as short as possible but please bear with me.
Basically tomorrow is the start of the second semester... I didn't really go to many lectures in the first semester (for reasons i don't want to go into). I want to attend every lecture this semester but i'm worried ill be alone because i didn't really make any friends in the first semester just acquaintances really. I'm worried that everyones made their own groups of friends by now and i'm going to be sitting alone in lectures with no one to talk to/ won't be able to make any friends.:/ I guess i'm just a bit nervous about tomorrow/ don't know what to do. :/

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Basically tomorrow is the start of the second semester... I didn't really go to many lectures in the first semester (for reasons i don't want to go into). I want to attend every lecture this semester but i'm worried ill be alone because i didn't really make any friends in the first semester just acquaintances really. I'm worried that everyones made their own groups of friends by now and i'm going to be sitting alone in lectures with no one to talk to/ won't be able to make any friends.:/ I guess i'm just a bit nervous about tomorrow/ don't know what to do. :/

Let's be honest here - the friends made in first semester tend to be those from freshers week and they're normally not that great since everyone was trying not to be alone at the end of that week. Just sit next to someone, introduce yourself, maybe make a comment about uni or whatever and hey presto, if they should be your friend then you'll be fine. I know it's difficult but you're you, you're not repulsive and just by being confident and initiating conversations you'll find people who can be potential friends.

Good luck!

When you go to lectures try and see if you can spot some people who tend to sit on their own, sit next to them one day and introduce yourself, bring up coursework and ask if they've started it, small talk ect. Continue to do this until you feel comfortable around them. If there is any group work suggest you work together, if they seem to enjoy talking to you suggest going to the library together to work on coursework and if there are any practicals on your course suggest doing those together also, or try to make friends in practicals.

I was a complete mess in first year and had no friends on my course, would have loved if someone had come up to me in that year.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Let's be honest here - the friends made in first semester tend to be those from freshers week and they're normally not that great since everyone was trying not to be alone at the end of that week. Just sit next to someone, introduce yourself, maybe make a comment about uni or whatever and hey presto, if they should be your friend then you'll be fine. I know it's difficult but you're you, you're not repulsive and just by being confident and initiating conversations you'll find people who can be potential friends.

Good luck!

I will try this thank you!
Reply 4
Original post by SophieSmall
When you go to lectures try and see if you can spot some people who tend to sit on their own, sit next to them one day and introduce yourself, bring up coursework and ask if they've started it, small talk ect. Continue to do this until you feel comfortable around them. If there is any group work suggest you work together, if they seem to enjoy talking to you suggest going to the library together to work on coursework and if there are any practicals on your course suggest doing those together also, or try to make friends in practicals.

I was a complete mess in first year and had no friends on my course, would have loved if someone had come up to me in that year.

I will try this tomorrow thanks for the advice! do you think i should possibly arrive a little later to the lecture so i can actually find people who are sitting by themselves?
Also if you don't mind me asking, why didn't you have any friends on your course and how did it change?
I will try this tomorrow thanks for the advice! do you think i should possibly arrive a little later to the lecture so i can actually find people who are sitting by themselves?
Also if you don't mind me asking, why didn't you have any friends on your course and how did it change?

Yeah that'd be a good idea, though not so late you disrupt the lecture :P

I was an emotional wreck last year, I had awful depression and social anxiety. While I still suffer from those I have made a lot of progress.

It changed in actually a very odd way :tongue: I was about to do a practical (I do biomed) and I was panicking as I didn't know anyone and it was paired work (this wouldn't bother some but it really triggers my anxiety). I had a panic attack before lab, there was some crying but I a managed to collect myself in time for the lab. Went in, a girl came and sat next to me (as I'm assuming she also knew no one).

I somehow made the first conversation starter (something about some chemical vials, I don't remember exactly). The she told me she wasn't sure what we were supposed to be doing, which was oddly a relief to me as I didn't either so I was able to more comfortable talking to her. I started to get a bit of a "high" which is something I don't usually get, and when I do it's usually after a panic attack. When I'm on a "high" as I like to call it I am pretty fearless, I was talking to people and asking people questions and laughing. And then there was one guy on the bench behind me, my partner and I noticed he had gotten to a part we didn't understand so I took a cheeky gander at his sheet, he caught me :tongue: and then he offered to help. That guy is now my main friend on my course.

Sorry if that was a bit too much information :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Yeah that'd be a good idea, though not so late you disrupt the lecture :P

I was an emotional wreck last year, I had awful depression and social anxiety. While I still suffer from those I have made a lot of progress.

It changed in actually a very odd way :tongue: I was about to do a practical (I do biomed) and I was panicking as I didn't know anyone and it was paired work (this wouldn't bother some but it really triggers my anxiety). I had a panic attack before lab, there was some crying but I a managed to collect myself in time for the lab. Went in, a girl came and sat next to me (as I'm assuming she also knew no one).

I somehow made the first conversation starter (something about some chemical vials, I don't remember exactly). The she told me she wasn't sure what we were supposed to be doing, which was oddly a relief to me as I didn't either so I was able to more comfortable talking to her. I started to get a bit of a "high" which is something I don't usually get, and when I do it's usually after a panic attack. When I'm on a "high" as I like to call it I am pretty fearless, I was talking to people and asking people questions and laughing. And then there was one guy on the bench behind me, my partner and I noticed he had gotten to a part we didn't understand so I took a cheeky gander at his sheet, he caught me :tongue: and then he offered to help. That guy is now my main friend on my course.

Sorry if that was a bit too much information :tongue:

Haha no thats cool! I do biological sciences so i also panic when we have to pair up for practicals and i don't know anyone :colondollar:
Thanks for the advice again!
Haha no thats cool! I do biological sciences so i also panic when we have to pair up for practicals and i don't know anyone :colondollar:
Thanks for the advice again!

No problem :smile: good luck.
Communication, whoever you sit next to during the lecture you should talk to them. How are they finding the course? what halls do they live in? etc
Reply 9
No problem :smile: good luck.

Original post by Tolaaa
Communication, whoever you sit next to during the lecture you should talk to them. How are they finding the course? what halls do they live in? etc

Ive got to say these past 2 days have been ****, i mostly sit alone in lectures, i occasionally speak to people sitting next to me, feel kinda lonely outside lectures so i sit in the library doing work :/. This sucks lol.
Plus i feel kinda awkward sitting next to people so i usually go to the back of the lecture hall, because they might think that i'm some sort of weirdo sitting next to them when theres a whole room free and the groups are talking about their own stuff so it feels rude to intrude on their conversations.
Plus i feel kinda awkward sitting next to people so i usually go to the back of the lecture hall, because they might think that i'm some sort of weirdo sitting next to them when theres a whole room free and the groups are talking about their own stuff so it feels rude to intrude on their conversations.

Aww OP don't worry it will get better! Do you have any paired work as I feel they're actually quite good ways to know new people.
Original post by Onee-chan
Aww OP don't worry it will get better! Do you have any paired work as I feel they're actually quite good ways to know new people.

We have practicals coming up next week so then I guess but I'm afraid people will pair up with friends and I won't have anyone to go with lol
I'm utterly rubbish at making friends, but I've been incredibly lucky in any situation I've been in (school, college, uni) in that people have come to talk to me, and we've become friends because of it. The three main friends I made at uni are still really good friends to me two years after graduating.

I would agree with people who say find people who are sitting on their own and go and talk to them. Because they might really be hoping to make some friends also! I doubt there are many people who sit on their own by choice.
We have practicals coming up next week so then I guess but I'm afraid people will pair up with friends and I won't have anyone to go with lol

there will always be someone on there own in practicals looking for someone to pair with, you'll be fine
there will always be someone on there own in practicals looking for someone to pair with, you'll be fine

Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
I'm utterly rubbish at making friends, but I've been incredibly lucky in any situation I've been in (school, college, uni) in that people have come to talk to me, and we've become friends because of it. The three main friends I made at uni are still really good friends to me two years after graduating.

I would agree with people who say find people who are sitting on their own and go and talk to them. Because they might really be hoping to make some friends also! I doubt there are many people who sit on their own by choice.

ok so this girl I met during freshers week sat next to me today with her friends and we talked, we later walked to her apartments and I talked to her friends and they all seem nice. I really don't know what to talk about with them now though they're all talking about things they've done together or are planning to do so I kinda feel out of the loop.

How do I give off a good impression? :P
ok so this girl I met during freshers week sat next to me today with her friends and we talked, we later walked to her apartments and I talked to her friends and they all seem nice. I really don't know what to talk about with them now though they're all talking about things they've done together or are planning to do so I kinda feel out of the loop.

How do I give off a good impression? :P

That's a difficult one, I've been there myself.
Just try to seem interested, pay attention to see if they mention any things you can relate to. Such as maybe TV programmes they've been watching. Say for example if they watch American horror story ask them if they've seen the season finale yet and what they though of it. It takes a lot of effort and sometimes it can be disheartening but stick at it.
Oh I'm the opposite. I have friends at university and we work together during practicals, but in lectures I PREFER sitting alone. I know where my friends sit (at the back), but I like to sit alone at the front, I notice I concentrate so much better when I'm alone, if I'm sat with people I know we'll probably just start talking about unrelated things, laughing and all that.
Reply 18
I've never understood why people are so scared of being alone.
Original post by Ecro
I've never understood why people are so scared of being alone.

I agree, I prefer being alone, whether it's working on a project, sitting on my own, practicals.. whatever. I don't have to talk much and can easily get on with whatever I'm supposed to be doing, my own way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending