The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Biology BIOL5 - 17th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MollyMcFly1
Yeah I've revised all of it all the way through and neither topic comes up in any of my 3 books. Only seen it mentioned as an application question. Nice big waste of time in lessons then! :')

Don't worry my teachers do that all the time with random **** too! Just think of those 3 extra marks you could get in your essay for EAR though haha
Also do we have to know about SCID and cystic fibrosis in terms of gene therapy and the methods they use to treat them? :smile:
am i the only one whos still not finish with bio 5...still got two chapter ugh so little time to revise
Can anyone summarise photosynthesis in just what we need to know for the exam?
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Catherine28
Can anyone summarise photosynthesis in just what we need to know for the exam?
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Light dependent reaction:
- Light energy absorbed by chlorophyll molecule
- Pair of electrons become excited and are released from the chlorophyll and accepted by electron carrier
- Electrons travel down electron transport chain via redox reactions
- As they do so they release energy
- This energy is used to actively transport protons into the thylakoids. This establishes a proton gradient so they diffuse back into the stroma via ATP synthase, which combines ADP and Pi to form ATP.
- The final electron carrier is NADP, which accepts a proton to become reduced NADP
- Photolysis also occurs (Light breaks water down into protons, electrons and oxygen). Electrons replace those lost by chlorophyll.

Light independent:
- RuBP combines with CO2 in the presence of Rubisco enzyme
- This forms 2 GP molecules
- NADPH from L-D reaction donates the proton for reduction of GP to TP, and ATP provides the energy
- 1/6 TP molecules used to make he code sugars. The rest used to regenerate RuBP

Think that's everything - feel free to correct if anything is wrong :smile:
Is it just me or is chpater 16 a never ending chapter hahah im struggling with understanding the context in that chapter does anyone have anything that could help me? thanksss
Original post by adam100249848
Is it just me or is chpater 16 a never ending chapter hahah im struggling with understanding the context in that chapter does anyone have anything that could help me? thanksss

I hate gene technology. I find it hard to bring myself to get it finished
Reply 127
Does anyone know what the synoptic essay questions were for the June 2014 exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can anyone briefly explain the sliding filament theory? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone see any AQA Bio 1 or Bio 2 threads floating around, cant find them...Im also resitting them T_T The workload ah
Original post by Catherine28
Can anyone briefly explain the sliding filament theory? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Basically:

-Actin and myosin filaments slide over each other to make the sarcomere contract.
-The simultaneous contraction of lots of sarcomeres means the myofibrils and muscle fibres contract
-A band stays same length
- I band gets shorter
-H zones get shorter
-Z lines get closer together
-Sarcomeres get shorter
Hey, I was wondering if anyone could explain the concept of "partial digestion" to me with regards to gel electrophoresis and restriction enzymes? If anyone has done the June 2011 Unit 5 paper this relates directly to question 5 c.ii.

Original post by MollyMcFly1
Light dependent reaction:
- Light energy absorbed by chlorophyll molecule
- Pair of electrons become excited and are released from the chlorophyll and accepted by electron carrier
- Electrons travel down electron transport chain via redox reactions
- As they do so they release energy
- This energy is used to actively transport protons into the thylakoids. This establishes a proton gradient so they diffuse back into the stroma via ATP synthase, which combines ADP and Pi to form ATP.
- The final electron carrier is NADP, which accepts a proton to become reduced NADP
- Photolysis also occurs (Light breaks water down into protons, electrons and oxygen). Electrons replace those lost by chlorophyll.

Light independent:
- RuBP combines with CO2 in the presence of Rubisco enzyme
- This forms 2 GP molecules
- NADPH from L-D reaction donates the proton for reduction of GP to TP, and ATP provides the energy
- 1/6 TP molecules used to make he code sugars. The rest used to regenerate RuBP

Think that's everything - feel free to correct if anything is wrong :smile:

I thought that in the light dependant stage protons are gained through the photolysis of water and atp is made when electrons move down the carriers. Not seen anything about atpase before but it is probally right
just commenting to mark out where ive got up to.
Original post by johnisback
I thought that in the light dependant stage protons are gained through the photolysis of water and atp is made when electrons move down the carriers. Not seen anything about atpase before but it is probally right

ATP is made from the energy released by the electrons moving down the carriers but the bit about ATPase describes exactly how that energy is used to make ATP (chemiosmosis). It's all about proton gradients :smile:

And yeah I missed that bit out, sorry - the protons do come from the photolysis of water :smile:
Hi guys, here are my revision notes for unit 5 from last year.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VaTttI50YJ934YkIFrxM1pcbcv5f2rcwxpCo6WhEq_g/edit

That's the Unit 5 stuff. It's all the possible question answered in the format of the mark scheme with all the key words included. It should carry the weight of all the questions until the essay question.

At the bottom of the list is a set of extra-curricular knowledge. My friends and I put this together over a period of two months, hope this helps! Best of luck with BIOL5
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by lllllllllll

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VaTttI50YJ934YkIFrxM1pcbcv5f2rcwxpCo6WhEq_g/edit

That's the Unit 5 stuff. It's all the possible question answered in the format of the mark scheme with all the key words included. It should carry the weight of all the questions until the essay question.

At the bottom of the list is a set of extra-curricular knowledge. My friends and I put this together over a period of two months, hope this helps! Best of luck with BIOL5

thaaaaaaaaaaaanks
awesomeeeeeeeeeee, only if i can+10 rep u xD

This is brilliant, thank you so much! :biggrin:
Reply 138

You're increasing boundaries lol

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
brilliant notes, thanks to whoever posted them

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending