The Student Room Group

Tangible downsides of homosexuality to society?

To warrant the amount of hatred directed towards it from religious groups, conservatives,etc? I am struggling to think what it does to make such a response proportionate...
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It actually benefits society by reducing over population.

Silly religions don't know what they're talking about :rolleyes:
Reply 2
It grinds the gears of some self-righteous religious people. That's about it.
Original post by Schrödingers Cat

Actually women relatives of gay men have bwen found to be more fertile, so any genes involved may increase our population...

People are just bitter because it narrows the poil of available partners :tongue:
Sodomy, immoral marriage, sexual relations outside of marriage, homosexual culture, intolerance for those who disagree with homosexuality, government using immoral marriage to weaken the power of the Church of England and ruin the British governmental system. Total acceptance that homosexuality isn't a choice, rather than trying to help those people who become homosexuals because of abuse. So lots of things.

Of course this isn't a very important issue for most Protestants, we don't really care. The major issues for us are the break down the marriage as an institution between one man and one women for the raising of children. We also care far more about abortion.
Reply 5
Original post by Lady Comstock
To warrant the amount of hatred directed towards it from religious groups, conservatives,etc? I am struggling to think what it does to make such a response proportionate...

Archaic beliefs, my opinion is essentially 'each to their own'.

One negative though could be that these people do not breed. The UK needs a larger native birth rate and even putting that aside, these people may have 'good genes'.

The UK is not overpopulated, we could happily cope with an increased birth rate so long as we had a competent government.
Original post by Rakas21
Archaic beliefs, my opinion is essentially 'each to their own'.

One negative though could be that these people do not breed. The UK needs a larger native birth rate and even putting that aside, these people may have 'good genes'.

The UK is not overpopulated, we could happily cope with an increased birth rate so long as we had a competent government.

Not yet it's not, who said anything a out the UK anyway? In talking about the world in general
Reply 7
Not yet it's not, who said anything a out the UK anyway? In talking about the world in general

Well even the world in general is not, on a global level we can accomodate current average global birth rate. The issues are regional in that Africa for example has no money and birth rates far too high, other places have no money but fine birth rates. Most of Eurasia though could do to increase birth rates a tad.
Original post by Rakas21
Well even the world in general is not, on a global level we can accomodate current average global birth rate. The issues are regional in that Africa for example has no money and birth rates far too high, other places have no money but fine birth rates. Most of Eurasia though could do to increase birth rates a tad.

You are insane if you think population is not a problem, everything will run out and then the poor will be ****ed first, then the middle class leaving the rich alive and well
Reply 9
You are insane if you think population is not a problem, everything will run out and then the poor will be ****ed first, then the middle class leaving the rich alive and well

What do you think will run out?

Resources, we have a crust beneath us and asteroids in space. No mineral resource seriously looks like running out soon.

Water, we have the technology to desalinate.

Food, global food production increases at a faster rate than population growth.

So long as a country has a birth rate below 3-4, it's all down to economics as to whether you can afford it. Production is not the problem, distribution is. The only people under a credible threat of starvation ect.. are Africans.

Prove me wrong.
Original post by william walker
Sodomy, immoral marriage, sexual relations outside of marriage, homosexual culture, intolerance for those who disagree with homosexuality, government using immoral marriage to weaken the power of the Church of England and ruin the British governmental system. Total acceptance that homosexuality isn't a choice, rather than trying to help those people who become homosexuals because of abuse. So lots of things.

How are those downsides?

How is sodomy a downside to society? Two men engaging in sodomy in a private room damages society how?
Again, how does two men marrying act as a downside to society?
Same with the rest of your points.

Can you even provide any real, tangible downsides?
Sodomy does tend to lead to higher chances of sexually transmitted diseases I think... Not 100% sure on that though, but that could be something.
More very good but camp hairdressers? Better fashion designers?

Oh the humanity!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lady Comstock
How are those downsides?

How is sodomy a downside to society? Two men engaging in sodomy in a private room damages society how?
Again, how does two men marrying act as a downside to society?
Same with the rest of your points.

Can you even provide any real, tangible downsides?

We don't live in a society, we live the British nation state. This is the most important point I can make.

So you don't have any issue at all with sodomy then? It is just the same as sex between a man and women? That is the damaging thing it makes it fine for people to have sexual relations outside of marriage. Which is why the British nation state for a very long time had anti-sodomy laws.

I have provided tangible downsides, but you will not accept them. You people never do accept downsides and problem for your actions.
Original post by TorpidPhil
Sodomy does tend to lead to higher chances of sexually transmitted diseases I think... Not 100% sure on that though, but that could be something.

With some STD's there is a greater risk because of sodomy and the sexual practices within Gay culture. However this isn't all STD's or all homosexuals.
Who liked my earlier post?
Original post by william walker
With some STD's there is a greater risk because of sodomy and the sexual practices within Gay culture. However this isn't all STD's or all homosexuals.

Some STDs transfer more easily with anal sex, it's true. But some gay men don't have anal sex, some straight people do, and lesbians don't have penetrative sex at all.
Original post by anarchism101
Some STDs transfer more easily with anal sex, it's true. But some gay men don't have anal sex, some straight people do, and lesbians don't have penetrative sex at all.

Your point is?
Perhaps gay marriage contributes to the erosion of heterosexual marriage as something to be taken seriously? I wouldn't be surprised if the generally relaxing social culture in England, of which homosexual acceptance is a consequence and perhaps a cause, contributes to fewer heterosexual marriages.

We don't know how having homosexual parents influences a child, although these families are rare so probably not a significant problem.

Original post by anarchism101

But Homosexuals are notorious spreaders of sexual disease. 13% of homosexual men in London have HIV, so this is a downside.
Original post by tomfailinghelp
Perhaps gay marriage contributes to the erosion of heterosexual marriage as something to be taken seriously? I wouldn't be surprised if the generally relaxing social culture in England, of which homosexual acceptance is a consequence and perhaps a cause, contributes to fewer heterosexual marriages.

We don't know how having homosexual parents influences a child, although these families are rare so probably not a significant problem.

But Homosexuals are notorious spreaders of sexual disease. 13% of homosexual men in London have HIV, so this is a downside.

I agree. Just wait for others to start calling me a homophobic bigot for pointing out that being homosexual isn't a good thing.

Quick Reply

Latest