The Student Room Group

Denture Help!

Hi all, I just got a partial denture for my back teeth and am having a bit of trouble with them and just wondering about any advice anyone might have!

Firstly is I wasn't given any instructions on cleaning them or how to keep them when they're not in situ, I think they should be in water? Getting a bit muddled when the internet keeps saying "refer to manufacturer's instructions" and I don't have any!

Secondly I'm having issues with the top denture and my gag reflex. I can't keep it in without gagging and wondered if anyone has any advice or tips on how to overcome that (serious, not the obvious jokes people could make). The bottom one is digging in quite a bit on the right side and I'm not sure whether to tough through it or to get in touch with the dentist and mention it to him to see if it needs adjusting?

Granted I have only just got these so there will obviously be some initial problems so the bottom denture I'm not as concerned about, the top one is really bothering me though as I honestly am not sure how to manage to keep it in :frown:

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply 1
Fix an appointment with a dentist today.
It just took me time to get used to wearing them and not gagging

I keep it in water when not in my mouth. Brush lightly with a toothbrush but NOT with toothpaste as it is too harsh. Also use a sterident tablet in the water every 2-3 days.

This was the advice given to me by the dentist.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi all, I just got a partial denture for my back teeth and am having a bit of trouble with them and just wondering about any advice anyone might have!

Firstly is I wasn't given any instructions on cleaning them or how to keep them when they're not in situ, I think they should be in water? Getting a bit muddled when the internet keeps saying "refer to manufacturer's instructions" and I don't have any!

Secondly I'm having issues with the top denture and my gag reflex. I can't keep it in without gagging and wondered if anyone has any advice or tips on how to overcome that (serious, not the obvious jokes people could make). The bottom one is digging in quite a bit on the right side and I'm not sure whether to tough through it or to get in touch with the dentist and mention it to him to see if it needs adjusting?

Granted I have only just got these so there will obviously be some initial problems so the bottom denture I'm not as concerned about, the top one is really bothering me though as I honestly am not sure how to manage to keep it in :frown:

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have a top partial btw for three back teeth on left and one on the right.

Quick Reply

Latest