The Student Room Group

swimming vs lifting-pros and cons please

Have heard you can get aesthetic from swimming alone but this was from Yahoo Asnwers lol. Obviously swimming is great cardio. I heard since it's a zero-impact sport, it doesn't bolster against osteoporosis though.
Do both. Anyone who says you don't need to do cardio is misguided. The health benefits are monumental. It won't impact on your lifting assuming sensible diet/programming.
Original post by illusionz
Do both. Anyone who says you don't need to do cardio is misguided. The health benefits are monumental. It won't impact on your lifting assuming sensible diet/programming.

This

And swimming will improve bone density, the same as any other exercise. It goes hand in hand with it
Original post by illusionz

soo how many gym/swim sessions a week does the translate to?
Original post by Angry cucumber
This

And swimming will improve bone density, the same as any other exercise. It goes hand in hand with it

ahh thanks for the clarification :smile:

edit: do I still need to lift, if I go swimming? YA did not seem to know/think so, but then YA is for 14 year olds
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
soo how many gym/swim sessions a week does the translate to?

Depends on what your main goal is and how much you enjoy it. If it's muscle or strength do more weight training than cardio (eg; 3x strength vs 2x cardio). If it's aerobic or anaerobic fitness, or you're training for an endurance sport, do more cardio (eg; 3-4x cardio vs 2x strength).

Don't overcomplicate things - just get out there and train.

Quick Reply

Latest