The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Classism @ Reading uni?

I'm from Essex, I don't have much of an accent, I live in the part closest to East London, on the Thames, I'm not poor or orange or dumb or really any of the stereotypes, but I've heard from a few people at my college who have been to interviews/ taster sessions at Reading uni that a few fellow applicants can be rather snooty. I understand it's common for high ranking universities to have more private/public schooled students but I was wondering if generally attitudes towards the more common sort were just? A lack of previous interaction as in, ignorance kind of, or mean/malicious.
TL;DR is there much classist related/ posh vs common type bullying at Reading uni?
No.
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
I don't think you'll see much classism in a university mainly because it would be the worst place for it to happen and for it to have the worst consequences. Imagine classism existing amongst flat mates in your uni. It would create a fractured, unfriendly and untrusting environment. At the end of the day, everyone is saddled into the same boat and that in itself encourages co-operation and the growth of relations between individuals because the opposite fate for those who dont stick together would just be loneliness and a real bad experience at university.
Reply 3
Original post by marco14196
I don't think you'll see much classism in a university mainly because it would be the worst place for it to happen and for it to have the worst consequences. Imagine classism existing amongst flat mates in your uni. It would create a fractured, unfriendly and untrusting environment. At the end of the day, everyone is saddled into the same boat and that in itself encourages co-operation and the growth of relations between individuals because the opposite fate for those who dont stick together would just be loneliness and a real bad experience at university.

I'm honestly really glad! I was so worried because classmates have been to interviews/ taster sessions at universities and have faced? Idk, just. kinda snobby, pretentiousness(?) from private/public school students. Despite being highly intellectual they've been dismissed as dumb Joey Essex-esque idiots as soon as fellow applicants hear their accent! Is this just interviews, and everyone grows up when they start! I just don't want to go to a university and find I'm being bullied then have to change unis via clearing and go somewhere a bit poo just because of where I came from??
Original post by lewis1264
I'm from Essex, I don't have much of an accent, I live in the part closest to East London, on the Thames, I'm not poor or orange or dumb or really any of the stereotypes, but I've heard from a few people at my college who have been to interviews/ taster sessions at Reading uni that a few fellow applicants can be rather snooty. I understand it's common for high ranking universities to have more private/public schooled students but I was wondering if generally attitudes towards the more common sort were just? A lack of previous interaction as in, ignorance kind of, or mean/malicious.
TL;DR is there much classist related/ posh vs common type bullying at Reading uni?

Hello!

Please do not worry about this! I'm actually from a similar area and haven't had any major problems. Of course there is no denying the possibility that you will come across some people who are like that but unfortunately that usually is the case everywhere. If someone has an attitude that is prejudice towards another person then they're only going to be putting themselves at a disadvantage and will miss out on making friends and generally progressing through life. There is a big mix of people here (the university is huge!) so you'll be able to make lots of great friends during your time here.

Bullying and harassment is not tolerated at the university and do be assured that there are people you can talk to at any point of your time spent at the university, with any concerns you may have.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask any more questions!
Pip, third year English Literature and History of Art :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by UniofReading
Hello!

Please do not worry about this! I'm actually from a similar area and haven't had any major problems. Of course there is no denying the possibility that you will come across some people who are like that but unfortunately that usually is the case everywhere. If someone has an attitude that is prejudice towards another person then they're only going to be putting themselves at a disadvantage and will miss out on making friends and generally progressing through life. There is a big mix of people here (the university is huge!) so you'll be able to make lots of great friends during your time here.

Bullying and harassment is not tolerated at the university and do be assured that there are people you can talk to at any point of your time spent at the university, with any concerns you may have.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask any more questions!
Pip, third year English Literature and History of Art :smile:

Thank you so much! This was my only question, and I feel much more confident about university now!!
Reply 6
This table (at the bottom) might help - it ranks Uni's by the number of accepted students that have been to Independent School, using the official HESA data from 2012

Basically Reading are a sort of midtable 38th...and apart from the very top and very bottom of this "league table" - it's much of a muchness.

Students that have been to Independent School are in general slightly likely more to go to University than students that have been to state school (60% vs 56% go to University respectively)

The thing about students that have been to Independent/Public/Posh (whatever) Schools - is that they (in MHO) are in general just more confident, in some cases over confident, than their state school counterparts...therefore when you go to an Open Day, SU, anywhere - those that are loud/brash/confident are more likely to sound as if they have been to public school. I wouldn't worry about it, in fact embrace it - your (possible??) anxiety about it shouldn't get in the way of having an awesome time at Uni!! Meet and get to know as many people as you can, from all walks of life - you'll never have the chance to meet so many awesome people in such a casual, meritocratic environment again. Break the cliques :smile: . Enjoy, and Reading is a great Uni.

http://www.studentbeans.com/mag/en/campus/posh-university-league-which-uni-s-the-poshest
Reply 7
So glad I found this. Was worried about it too. Not that I dislike posh people its just the posh people I know seem to look down on me. Was worried I'd be the only 'working class' person and stick out a mile off!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending