The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

High national rankings, but low world rankings?

Hi all,

I applied and got an unconditional offer to UEA. One of the factors that made me choose it is its high national rankings (15th on Complete, 14th on The Guardian, 14th on Sunday Times, 18th on Shanghai Rankings), in combination with relatively low requirements (ABB for Computer Science). This makes it higher ranked than a lot of Russell Group universities. However, there is a discrepancy as they do not line up with the world rankings (240 on QS, 198 on Times), whereas most universities which would otherwise be ranked lower than UEA in the national rankings are higher in the world rankings. Is there any explanation for this difference? While I know rankings aren't everything, this has perplexed me.
Original post by RealHumanBean
Hi all,

I applied and got an unconditional offer to UEA. One of the factors that made me choose it is its high national rankings (15th on Complete, 14th on The Guardian, 14th on Sunday Times, 18th on Shanghai Rankings), in combination with relatively low requirements (ABB for Computer Science). This makes it higher ranked than a lot of Russell Group universities. However, there is a discrepancy as they do not line up with the world rankings (240 on QS, 198 on Times), whereas most universities which would otherwise be ranked lower than UEA in the national rankings are higher in the world rankings. Is there any explanation for this difference? While I know rankings aren't everything, this has perplexed me.

you will find this happens a lot as the way the British rankings are calculated is different from the world rankings. long established city universities come out better in the world rankings but don't do as well in the British rankings. bath and Exeter for example always finish higher in the BrItish rankings than Bristol Leeds Manchester and Sheffield whereas the reverse applies in the international tables. UEA is an extremely good uni and if that's where you wish to go ignore the international tables
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending