The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Hatfield College

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'd just like to say my bit about Hatfield - I am obviously biased, as I’m a Hatfielder, but still............

I love Hatfield, I couldn't imagine being anywhere else right now, and I felt like that as soon as I got here. I'm not the typical 'rah' type, I'm from North Wales - state school etc, but it REALLY does not matter. Yes there are 'rah's, or the 'pashmina girls' as we call them, but no one is forcing you to be friends with them if you don't want to, and there are soooo many other types of people from all walks of life.

I know of only one person who wasn't happy at Hatfield - my ex room mate, although there were extenuating circumstances there. Everyone else I know loves it - although the VAST majority end up loving wherever they end up. Hatfield has amazing college spirit, fantastic formals (HUAGE piss ups in posh clothes), bloody amazing college songs and generally lovely people. Our bar may not be beautiful - but its cheap, there's a tv and the people make it what it is. Plus college is perfectly situated for the extremely lazy (i.e. me) and really is very beautiful!

Good luck to all future Hatfielders, I look forward to seeing you at the open day the BEST way to get a feel for the place I’m a rep, so I’ll see you around!!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Megzie
I'd just like to say my bit about Hatfield - I am obviously biased, as I’m a Hatfielder, but still............

I love Hatfield, I couldn't imagine being anywhere else right now, and I felt like that as soon as I got here. I'm not the typical 'rah' type, I'm from North Wales - state school etc, but it REALLY does not matter. Yes there are 'rah's, or the 'pashmina girls' as we call them, but no one is forcing you to be friends with them if you don't want to, and there are soooo many other types of people from all walks of life.

I know of only one person who wasn't happy at Hatfield - my ex room mate, although there were extenuating circumstances there. Everyone else I know loves it - although the VAST majority end up loving wherever they end up. Hatfield has amazing college spirit, fantastic formals (HUAGE piss ups in posh clothes), bloody amazing college songs and generally lovely people. Our bar may not be beautiful - but its cheap, there's a tv and the people make it what it is. Plus college is perfectly situated for the extremely lazy (i.e. me) and really is very beautiful!

Good luck to all future Hatfielders, I look forward to seeing you at the open day the BEST way to get a feel for the place I’m a rep, so I’ll see you around!!

Megan Tanner, right...? :p:
Reply 22
What are the exact meaning of "pashmina girls" and "rahs"?:smile:
Sorry for that.
I am an overseas student and does not find them in our dictionary.:frown:
"Posh" people.
Reply 24
commendatory or derogatory?
Thanks again
Definatley derogatory
I've heard it has a large intake (relatively) of Public School students. I didn't apply there for this reason. I'm at an independant school, but lots of people who would call me a rah who are at state schools live in bigger houses, have nicer cars and are simply richer than I am.
News just in: all stereotypes are correct.
Reply 28
I have never really understood the Hatfield bashing thing and can honestly say I've never sung an anti-Hatfield song. I'd rather praise Hild Bede than bash Hatfield! In fact, my feelings towards the other colleges in general are far too indifferent for me to say anything derogatory about them. :biggrin:
Mattmoy_2000
News just in: all stereotypes are correct.

Indeed. However, I'm a Brummie Hatfielder. This leaves me with an identity crisis - am I posh or common? Thick or intelligent? God, life is hard sometimes.
durhamdosser
Indeed. However, I'm a Brummie Hatfielder. This leaves me with an identity crisis - am I posh or common? Thick or intelligent? God, life is hard sometimes.

You have an identity crisis? You need someone who is well versed in all aspects of Birmingham's community and history then!

You need Carl Chinn!:wink:
Reply 31
Hang on! Im an intl student so I dont seem to quite understand it here. What's wrong with Hatfield's large intake of public school kids? Ive often seen ppl firing at private school kids since they're from wealthier background. Could sb explain that to me?
Abagnale
Hang on! Im an intl student so I dont seem to quite understand it here. What's wrong with Hatfield's large intake of public school kids? Ive often seen ppl firing at private school kids since they're from wealthier background. Could sb explain that to me?

Public school here isn't state school. People pay lots to go to public school.
thats English for you
Reply 34
Got an offer ABB for PPE, from Hatfield, LSE's my first choice though, with an AAA offer. The Durham life sounds slightly more appealing on a different level though, cheers for the heads up on hatfield.
Yeah, id agree with rUSH from an applicants p.o.v Durham life seems to be more attractive. You can get 2 Pints in Durham for the price of one in London!
Reply 36
Hello!
After the stress & time consuming process of looking and analysing statistics etc of the cambridge colleges I could not be bothered any more so choose HAtfield college using the rather sophisticated 'eeny meeny maany mo' method after eliminating the self catering colleges and castle (15 applicants:1 place!)
Coming from a preety poor quality comp in rural Wales I was slightly apprehensive applying to Durham given its public school reputation and it seems that I have picked the college full of 'rahs'. Anyway just wondering how easy it is to fit in to Hatfield coming from a comp background and also are 'rahs' just quirkly and amusingly posh ppl or arrogant T*****s?
Thanks for any replies :smile:
As long as you are sociable, it's easy peasy to fit in. Don't worry about the idea of 'RAHs', it simply isn't important or relevant if you don't want it to be. Moreover, you are more likely to shield yourself from potential friends than protect yourself from bad people by classifying social groups that you do and don't want to mix with.
Reply 38
Sorry to let all of you down, but Hatfield is a perfectly normal college! We do get a handful of rahs every year, but so does every college. Anyone who denies you get rahs up on the hill is lying - you get them everywhere. There isn't a special section you tick on your UCAS form where you confirm or deny that you're a rah, so how are admissions staff meant to catch all the rahs and send them our way?

To be honest, after three years here, I'm a little sick of the rah bashing. Why are we meant to hate them so much? Because of the way that they dress? Because they're pretty? Because they have lots of friends with common interests? Because they're rich? It all boils down to jealousy really, doesn't it?

Get to know someone who looks like a typical rah, and 9 times out of 10, you'll discover you're chatting to a pretty nice person. Look beyond the pashmina. :wink:
Reply 39
shona
There isn't a special section you tick on your UCAS form where you confirm or deny that you're a rah, so how are admissions staff meant to catch all the rahs and send them our way?

It's called the "What school do you go to?" section :wink:

I think the Personal Statement might help too, when the Hatfield tutor sees "I love going hunting with my Daddy" it's a definite yes hehe :biggrin:

shona
To be honest, after three years here, I'm a little sick of the rah bashing. Why are we meant to hate them so much?

Because of the way that they dress?
- Yes, they all own the same clothes....and every day without fail it's trousers, knitted sweatshirt, (pink) shirt with collar up. CAN THEY NOT THINK FOR THEMSELVES?

Because they're pretty?
- Hahahahahaahhaahahhaaaha. I hope you mean "pretty" as in "have spent 3 hours this morning trying to make their hair look like it's been chewed by a donkey with rabies" ....and not actually good looking. OK plenty are good body-wise, but look at their faces and half of them look 40-years old already, urgh!

Because they have lots of friends with common interests?
- Erm, there's 2 sides of this - 1 is that that's not a "specific rah" thing. Most people who aren't rahs will also have lots of friends, usually with common interests, that's why they are friends with them. On the other hand, if you mean all rahs ONLY have SAME interests (i.e. hunting, wearing stupid clothes, joining the same University sports - hockey, lacrosse, smoking cigars and drinking fine wines, etc) then that's not a good thing. Would like to see some variety in the interests of my friends....it's how you learn about the world instead of just having one insight.

Because they're rich? It all boils down to jealousy really, doesn't it?
- No, I can deal with people being rich. I know plenty of rich people, and they're fine. Being a rah goes beyond that. You know what I hate? The people who keep defending rahs, when ACTUAL rahs tend to be very insulting - actually looking down on people who they can't accept into their social grouping. They can also be incredibly sexist and racist - it's disgusting. I certainly am NOT jealous of them.....however I am jealous of people who are just plain rich, but are nice people, lol...I could never be jealous of being a rah, urgh!

shona
Get to know someone who looks like a typical rah, and 9 times out of 10, you'll discover you're chatting to a pretty nice person. Look beyond the pashmina. :wink:

I will accept this, but I'd change the number to being 6 times out of 10. For some people, they will accept more. For someone like me (geordie accent, don't really care what I wear to lectures, etc. not a particularly stylish hairstyle lol)....I get shot down the moment I open my mouth. But it's true, I know plenty who I've thought "Oh crap" when I've had to work with them, but then realised they're really nice people - I agree - get to know them! But much of the time you'll think "OK glad I found out that they're a complete cock!"

Sorry to bring up the age old rah argument, but it had to be done....I'm bored, and anyway someone has to argue our side! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending