The Student Room Group

Journey to achieving AT LEAST my predicted grades (hopefully)

I've had a really crappy last year and gotten really bad grades, not to mention the fact that I've repeated AS last year, so this year in my A2's, my school have generously predicted me A*AAA and at the moment, only the A* seems possible and everything else is 1-2 grade jumps.

A2 predicted grades:

A* maths
A english literature
A biology
A chemistry
A EPQ

I've applied for biochemistry at Imperial, UCL, KCL, Southampton and Warwick
Offers from Southampton (AAB) and Warick (ABB) atm

Haven't started any revision and I've been so demotivated to do anything that my attendance has dropped to 51% and so I've also basically missed out on a term of learning although I've caught up pretty quickly this term.
We'll see how it goes :/
Original post by selenerrr__x
I've had a really crappy last year and gotten really bad grades, not to mention the fact that I've repeated AS last year, so this year in my A2's, my school have generously predicted me A*AAA and at the moment, only the A* seems possible and everything else is 1-2 grade jumps.

A2 predicted grades:

A* maths
A english literature
A biology
A chemistry
A EPQ

Haven't started any revision and I've been so demotivated to do anything that my attendance has dropped to 51% and so I've also basically missed out on a term of learning although I've caught up pretty quickly this term.

I hope this year is better than the last; good luck in achieving your grades, what are your current ones?

A2 predicted grades:

A* maths
A english literature
A biology
A chemistry
A EPQ

Bloody hell, that's uncanny! I've been having a rubbish year too, and I'm demotivated. Only one of my grades also seems on target to be an A, and I also repeated my ASs. I mean, admittedly I'm more humanities-orientated than you, being that I'm aiming for a Literature course (right on!), but it's still pretty amazing that someone else is going through such a similar thing to me.
Anyway, I think that it's probably fairly normal to be feeling a bit demotivated. I mean, everyone else our age has gone, and we're still going on for a third year. But hey, just think: we're on the home stretch! And apparently you're not alone in it. :L
I think you can probably manage it if you give it a shot. You might have to cancel all the partying at weekends and things, and maybe take up some kind of vice to pull you through, but I'm sure you can do it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by BryonyG98
I hope this year is better than the last; good luck in achieving your grades, what are your current ones?

Current AS grades: ABCCC so the predicted grades are just so ridiculous in comparison
My teachers have a lot of faith in me :/

Original post by Gauntlets28
Bloody hell, that's uncanny! I've been having a rubbish year too, and I'm demotivated. Only one of my grades also seems on target to be an A, and I also repeated my ASs. I mean, admittedly I'm more humanities-orientated than you, being that I'm aiming for a Literature course (right on!), but it's still pretty amazing that someone else is going through such a similar thing to me.
Anyway, I think that it's probably fairly normal to be feeling a bit demotivated. I mean, everyone else our age has gone, and we're still going on for a third year. But hey, just think: we're on the home stretch! And apparently you're not alone in it. :L
I think you can probably manage it if you give it a shot. You might have to cancel all the partying at weekends and things, and maybe take up some kind of vice to pull you through, but I'm sure you can do it.

Yeah, I hate that all most of my friends are at uni and they keep telling me how amazing it is and I should visit them but although I say I have no time, in reality I do because I end up procrastinating so much
Just worrying about all that work rather than actually doing it.....
I'm only on target for the A* in maths and that should seem much harder to get than an A but I'm not close to getting an A in my other subjects
Good luck with you too
Where have you applied?
[INDENT] This post is to confirm that Selenerrr__x's grades have been verified!

[/INDENT]

A2 predicted grades:

A* maths
A english literature
A biology
A chemistry
A EPQ

Fellow Biochemistry applicant! Congratulations for your offers so far :smile: Stick tons of motivational quotes around your room or just jot down 10 aims/morals somewhere that you can always see to motivate yourself. Also I know this never works but write a revision timetable and stick to it at least very roughly (say I definitely have to do Biology and Chemistry for 1 hour each at least on Monday, let it be either homework or revision). Haven't started revision either but hey, starting now isn't too late!

If worse comes to worst though you can always drop English Literature/EPQ imo...your choice though :smile:

Not sure what else to say but good luck on everything, rooting for you :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by lizzyc501
Fellow Biochemistry applicant! Congratulations for your offers so far :smile: Stick tons of motivational quotes around your room or just jot down 10 aims/morals somewhere that you can always see to motivate yourself. Also I know this never works but write a revision timetable and stick to it at least very roughly (say I definitely have to do Biology and Chemistry for 1 hour each at least on Monday, let it be either homework or revision). Haven't started revision either but hey, starting now isn't too late!

If worse comes to worst though you can always drop English Literature/EPQ imo...your choice though :smile:

Not sure what else to say but good luck on everything, rooting for you :smile:

Where have you applied and have you gotten any offers?
My uni choices are all so unrealistically high tbh, esp. Imperial/UCL

Aha, I've got tonnes of to do lists and timetables scattered everywhere, I just can't seem to get into the mindset.
Attempting to start some revision today because I have a mock tomorrow and my real practicals on Friday :/
Where have you applied and have you gotten any offers?
My uni choices are all so unrealistically high tbh, esp. Imperial/UCL

Aha, I've got tonnes of to do lists and timetables scattered everywhere, I just can't seem to get into the mindset.
Attempting to start some revision today because I have a mock tomorrow and my real practicals on Friday :/

Good luck for your assessed practicals this week (and any more coming) and UCAS! Just done one this morning as well Chem practicals are quite a pain... Same here don't worry I'm re-sitting for more than one subject and I haven't changed any of my uni choices since post results day even though I've changed from Chemistry to Biochemistry simply because Biochem more applicable and I like the course structure more etc. :smile: Anyway I've applied to Imperial, Manchester and Bath with year in industry and just the normal 3-year course for Nottingham and York. Heard back from Manchester, Bath and Nottingham; waiting for York and Imperial :/
Reply 8
Original post by lizzyc501
Good luck for your assessed practicals this week (and any more coming) and UCAS! Just done one this morning as well Chem practicals are quite a pain... Same here don't worry I'm re-sitting for more than one subject and I haven't changed any of my uni choices since post results day even though I've changed from Chemistry to Biochemistry simply because Biochem more applicable and I like the course structure more etc. :smile: Anyway I've applied to Imperial, Manchester and Bath with year in industry and just the normal 3-year course for Nottingham and York. Heard back from Manchester, Bath and Nottingham; waiting for York and Imperial :/

Aaaaah how amazing if we both get into Imperial!
Even if I don't get into Imperial, the offer itself will reboost my motivation to get in!
As I'm repeating a year, my A*AAA predictions vs my crappy GCSEs don't seem to be in my favour for an offer atm.
What exam board for chemistry do you do?
Aaaaah how amazing if we both get into Imperial!
Even if I don't get into Imperial, the offer itself will reboost my motivation to get in!
As I'm repeating a year, my A*AAA predictions vs my crappy GCSEs don't seem to be in my favour for an offer atm.
What exam board for chemistry do you do?

That's quite true offers do motivate quite a lot! :smile: I do Edexcel, apparently my school likes choosing the harder exam boards.
Current AS grades: ABCCC so the predicted grades are just so ridiculous in comparison
My teachers have a lot of faith in me :/

Yeah, I hate that all most of my friends are at uni and they keep telling me how amazing it is and I should visit them but although I say I have no time, in reality I do because I end up procrastinating so much
Just worrying about all that work rather than actually doing it.....
I'm only on target for the A* in maths and that should seem much harder to get than an A but I'm not close to getting an A in my other subjects
Good luck with you too
Where have you applied?

Eh, I've been playing a little more on the safe side than you in regards to applications on account of my generally changeable self-confidence, but in general I picked some nice places that did the specific course I wanted to do (English Lit and Creative Writing):
Reading
Falmouth
Roehampton
Manchester Metro
Westminster
Yeah, I know, I do that too. The fools who made my timetable packed all my lessons into 4 days, and then left Tuesday completely clear, would you believe. Which is surprisingly effective at making you feel incredibly unmotivated for 1/5 of the week! But anyway, good luck to you too. Let's ride this thing out til the end of the year in style. And besides, it'll be a great summer when it's finally over. :biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by Gauntlets28
Eh, I've been playing a little more on the safe side than you in regards to applications on account of my generally changeable self-confidence, but in general I picked some nice places that did the specific course I wanted to do (English Lit and Creative Writing):
Reading
Falmouth
Roehampton
Manchester Metro
Westminster
Yeah, I know, I do that too. The fools who made my timetable packed all my lessons into 4 days, and then left Tuesday completely clear, would you believe. Which is surprisingly effective at making you feel incredibly unmotivated for 1/5 of the week! But anyway, good luck to you too. Let's ride this thing out til the end of the year in style. And besides, it'll be a great summer when it's finally over. :biggrin:

My sch are fools who have a timetable clash so I attend two schools for my subjects and have no free periods because it's a 20min journey between the two. I finish at 6pm on Wednesday and Thursdays and I still also have a time overlap in lessons because travelling from one sch to the other so I'm constantly late for lessons
My sch are fools who have a timetable clash so I attend two schools for my subjects and have no free periods because it's a 20min journey between the two. I finish at 6pm on Wednesday and Thursdays and I still also have a time overlap in lessons because travelling from one sch to the other so I'm constantly late for lessons

Oooo, my school has that kind of thing. I don't go on it though, but I see people who do, and they don't tend to be pleased about it. :s-smilie: But Jesus, 6pm?? That's insanely late. Not even most professionals go that late. Reminds me of my old school, actually. They were a bunch of slave drivers too. :P
Reply 13
Update: Got told to forget education and work in macdonalds because I have ****ty GCSEs.

Also biology revision is going crap, made notes/flashcards/did the questions in the book/mind maps/poster/tested myself and I still can't remember crap or apply it so I've resorted to just reading the textbook a thousand times. I understand what I'm reading though.
Update: Got told to forget education and work in macdonalds because I have ****ty GCSEs.

Who told you that? :frown:

Ignore them :smile: :yy: I have only two GCSEs and my life turned out fine. :h:

Try not to read the textbook - you really need to work with the material in order to get it in your brain :smile: If you're bored of mind maps, you could try something else like writing a song about it, or making a crossword, or acting it out or recording yourself giving a presentation about it. The more you do the more you'll be able to remember :woo: :h:
Reply 15
Update: Nothing new from UCAS :frown: and it's driving me crazy, can't stop refreshing my inbox.

I've dropped English Literature A2 and I'm going to be cashing in my AS grade, or probably retaking the coursework unit to get it up
English Literature was my odd subject out and it's taking up too much time and considering no one has achieved an A in AS or A* in A2 at my school, the odds of me keeping my A up aren't that great, especially as the teachers are a month behind on lessons.

Got an A in my maths mock, so it's going alright at this stage but I'll need to start properly working to get the A*, especially as I'm resitting S1 and I've forgotten everything

Chem and bio mocks next week so..... :/
Reply 16
Update:
Managed to finish my Unit 4 6CH04 Chemistry notes :biggrin:
Remembering it all is another matter......

Revision is going so slowly >.<
Reply 17
Update:

March has started off well for me :biggrin:
Got an offer from UCL for Biochemistry AAA and need an A definitely in Chemistry.
Full marks so far in my A2 Chemistry practical :yeah:
Biology.....not so fortunate

All my AS chemistry revision is done, off to start past papers in the next couple of weeks and to finish learning Unit 5 6CH05.

Biology I've sort of neglected... so March I will focus on revising the AS content and finishing A2 learning.

If this all goes to plan, by April I will be doing only revision and past papers from then on
:banana:
Reply 18
Easter is over, all my A2 Chemistry and Biology has been revised and some AS.
No maths or english revision yet and sch still hasn't finished the maths content :/

Starting past papers this Monday for Chem and Bio and hopefully finish my english coursework by next week.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending