The Student Room Group

Would you eat human meat if they sold it in the shops?

Scroll to see replies

Nope
Original post by davidtyoember
No. Also health-wise since we're high up the food chain, there's a higher concentration of toxins in our bodies compared to other animals lower in the food chain, especially Mercury (mainly due to fish consumption). Long term it would cause problems (Minimata disease, death etc), especially in children. If your wondering if this kind of thing has happened before, take a look at what happened to the Japanese children in Taiji when the authorities decided to add Dolphin to the children's school lunches.

https://learnaboutdolphins.wordpress.com/2011/10/13/the-dangers-of-dolphin-meat/

Minimata Disease : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxB_SXbxY28

Minimata disease was a result of pollution in Japan - the fish eaten were in the bay so were swimming in the toxic dumps from factories - it's not a normal result, just like itai-itai disease wasn't a normal result of rice consumption, but a result of the paddy fields being swamped in cadmium pollution

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LonelyDemon
Would you eat human if they sold it in the shops? Would you try it?

Say your nan died but instead of berrying her letting her body go to waste, why not donate her body to a company that sells human meat so she can be eaten.

As long as the meat was from a young person who had already died there would be no ethical concerns and the meat would probably be tasty and good to eat, I would really like to taste what humans taste like because a lot of humans look tasty(I'm a Voreaphile) and if people have died then there resources and nutrients shouldn't go to waste, I believe when someone dies then there isn't anything left of the person.
Reply 63
The only circumstance in which I would eat human flesh would be to prevent myself from dying in a situation where there is literally nothing else to eat, including grass, trees and insects. I wouldn't eat human flesh simply because they had a bloody 2 for 1 offer on it down at Iceland.

I'm having a difficult time believing the extent of the immorality of some people on this thread.
Original post by redferry
Beyond the ethics cannibalism or even eating other primates is just a bad idea healthwose, you'd get whatever diseases and parasites they had really easily. On top of that they'd have all sorts of medication in them most likeley, especially if they were old... Sounds like a rrecipe for your own death to me.

The same applies with animals a human should be cleaner and healthier than an animal and like with animals most of the bacteria would be killed through the cooking process.There are lots of diseases that animals are reported to have but it is very rare to be infected.Most of these arguments are just to scare people off.There is nothing ethically wrong with eating humans if you eat them after they have died and you didn't kill them, the dead body is no reflection of the human that died anymore.Cannibalism could actually save a lot of resources saving instead of burying and burning people and is what would have happened in nature(other animals would have eaten the human though but its not a big difference, humans should benefit over other animals I think) it could also increase the food supply.
Goes to show that no religion= less/no morals

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 66
I guess I'd try it
The New Guineans tried it.

It didn't turn out so well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuru_%28disease%29

Kuru is an incurable degenerative neurological disorder endemic to tribal regions of Papua New Guinea. It is a type of transmissible spongiform encephalopathy, caused by a prion found in humans...
Original post by Numan786
Goes to show that no religion= less/no morals

Posted from TSR Mobile

How so?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chazwomaq
The New Guineans tried it.

It didn't turn out so well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuru_%28disease%29

That's presumably only the brain though - stick to the muscle and you'd be fine?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers

Most religions are agains eating humans and so their followers would not accept cannibalism whereas alot of people who aren religious wouldn't mind killing other people for food or harvesting people for the luls

Posted from TSR Mobile
Most religions are agains eating humans and so their followers would not accept cannibalism whereas alot of people who aren religious wouldn't mind killing other people for food or harvesting people for the luls

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nothing short of presumptions: you've presumed that religious people wouldn't do this and you've presumed that those saying they'd try it are non-religious.

Also, how many have said they'd do it "for the luls" rather than as a last resort or if it was the most pragmatic source of meat?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I dunno why everyone is so repulsed; cannibalism is already legal here.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Nothing short of presumptions: you've presumed that religious people wouldn't do this and you've presumed that those saying they'd try it are non-religious.

Also, how many have said they'd do it "for the luls" rather than as a last resort or if it was the most pragmatic source of meat?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well most religious texts are very strongly against cannibalism so it'd be against their moral code to eat as well as their religion. Non religious people don't care for teachings of religions and so will only think about themselves rather than others. So being the most pragmatic source of meat condones killing people for food even though their are other sources of food? Like I said non religious people would gladly kill someone to eat them if it came to it and it was their last choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well most religious texts are very strongly against cannibalism so it'd be against their moral code to eat as well as their religion. Non religious people don't care for teachings of religions and so will only think about themselves rather than others. So being the most pragmatic source of meat condones killing people for food even though their are other sources of food? Like I said non religious people would gladly kill someone to eat them if it came to it and it was their last choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I agree. Just go to countries like Sweden or Denmark, where the majority is non-religious. Stop at any supermarket, and you'll find all kinds of human meat. Thighs, calves, necks, ass, vaginas, penises, testicles on offer!

Because we all know non-religious people don't give the slightest **** about others.

Pls be trolling.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do people actually follow the religious texts to the letter? No, so why do you assume that they'd refrain from cannibalism even if it was that or die? Even if it was against their moral code, it'd be a violation of the golden rule, so it's against most nonreligious people's moral code.

No they don't. Nonreligious people aren't the selfish creatures you're describing, in fact I seem to remember studies showing nonreligious people to be more altruistic, not less.

Did I say that? No I didn't. I said people are generally saying they would if it was the best source of food: malnutrition is a serious issue and generating enough food that is nutritious rather than bulking is the major challenge facing the world. People are saying they'd eat humans if it solved that challenge - ie it was best for the world as a whole.

Gladly? Almost anyone, religious or nonreligious would eat humans given the choice of death or cannibalism - it's a basic survival instinct.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Meanwhile... attempts but unfortunately fails to flee from planet earth
I think its a good idea if the human is dead before hand then I don't see the problem, I'm not talking about murdering someone to eat them like that bloke did in Germany. A lot of tribes already do as a funeral type thing, I think its a good idea doing that because people are no use to you anymore once they're dead.

I reckon if it became acceptable to eat human it would became more popular than chicken. Imagine fast food outlets selling it, asking for a box of human nuggets it would catch on, KFC style bucket of human fingers.
Original post by lustawny
What better way to celebrate the life of an animal (humans included), than by eating it? I'd probably eat a human if (and only if) it had died naturally, and if it would be a safe and healthy thing to eat.

I'm a bit clueless as to the nutritive quality of human meat, though, so you'll have to forgive me. It's not something I've endeavoured to bone up on, in all honesty.

on the other hand, if it were an animal that died of natural death, you'd never eat it. Why ? cuz something killed it and by eating that meat you might get that "something" and die too. "something" being bacteria/viruses etc.

only eat healthy, thoroughly medically tested humans purposely killed for your consumption if you're ever going to eat humans and make sure you cook them well.
Original post by hellodave5
Meanwhile... attempts but unfortunately fails to flee from planet earth

I think you'd taste nice.

Where do you live?

Quick Reply

Latest