Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do you want to study psychology?

Announcements Posted on
Live webchat: Student Finance explained - on TSR from 2 - 3pm 17-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I just had a debate with my friend over why teenagers decide they want to study psychology.

I believe it's because many teenagers want to learn more about themselves and understand some of the problems they face. So essentially they have a desire to learn psychology for introspection.

My friend disagrees and thinks its simply because people want to understand behaviour.

What do you think?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, when i first chose to study pscyhology when i was 15 it was definitely to learn more about myself.

But having studied it for 2 years at A level it has gone beyond that, and it's not my reason for wanting to study it at uni. Basically i am interested in learning about how behaviour is studied scientifically, as i haven't done biology to a high level i want to learn more about that side of it. I'm also keen to learn more about research and statistics. And pretty much all the topics that seem to be covered. Not just ones that relate to my personal experience.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Doing psychology JUST to learn more about yourself is a slightly self absorbed reason but I think it's different for everyone. I chose to study psychology because i have an interest in behaviour and the mind and I love human sciences. Also because a psychology degree gives you so many skills that many other subjects don't. I didn't do it to learn more about myself.....quite frankly i don't think there's much for me to learn about myself.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I didn't do it for myself - like Lolly-88 said, I'm very open with myself, and there's no part of me I want to try to psychoanalyse. I'm doing it because you can change people's lives with it, it can help you understand so much about treating and controlling behaviour and I want to be part of that!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If I wanted to learn Psychology to study the problems I'd face in late life I'd probably be scared out of my mind by now!

I was going to do Maths, Geog, Chem and Further Maths.
    Then I decided I didn't want to do further maths, and Psychology was the only subject I was a bit interested in over further maths.

And then after my third Psychology lesson I realised that it was what I wanted to do as a profession. I love the way that you can analyse the behaviour of people!
    I love it when you get taught something new, and the penny drops when you realise that the theory you have just learnt explains that memory you have from being about young - and why you acted how you did (clearly because you weren't in the concrete-operational stage yet)!

I guess the reason I am studying it is because I love the way that it does explain why people do things in life! It explains how I feel and how I act and I love applying it. But that is the point of Psychology... to discover why people do things.

...And I want to have a job which helps people who are ill, to recover.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 7, 2006
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.