The Student Room Group

Subject Choice Help!!!

Hi,
I am currently doing my AS course, and my subjects are: Biology, Psychology, Geography, and English Literature.

I really want to study Biological Sciences at Oxford, and the only required subject is Biology.

I am not sure which subject I should drop next year (or maybe not drop anything at all). I am definitely going to keep Bio and Psych, and I realise that dropping Literature is an obvious choice, but I really enjoy that subject and I'm not really into Geo.

Which subject should I drop?
Reply 1
Original post by LeoNicole
Hi,
I am currently doing my AS course, and my subjects are: Biology, Psychology, Geography, and English Literature.

I really want to study Biological Sciences at Oxford, and the only required subject is Biology.
If you feel like you'd get better grades in English, simply drop Geography.
Although looking at your remaining options (Biology, Psychology, English), I hope you're prepared to do a lot of writing!

I am not sure which subject I should drop next year (or maybe not drop anything at all). I am definitely going to keep Bio and Psych, and I realise that dropping Literature is an obvious choice, but I really enjoy that subject and I'm not really into Geo.

If you prefer English, you're much more likely to have a high level of motivation, therefore your interest will provide a willingness to deliver high quality work.
You're much more likely to get a high grade in a subject you're interested in.

As long as you have Biology, you're fine.
After that, it's all about the grades if you're looking at an elite university like Oxford.

I'm study Psychology at university and I did it at a-level, coming out with an A*.
As long as you put the effort in to psychology, you can comfortably achieve the 90%+ mark for the top grade.

I wouldn't consider myself an A* level student but I got something an average of like 95%. I was the only A* student, however not many of the "best" college students took psychology; they mainly did the traditional sciences and maths.

Since you're aspiring to Oxford, it suggests you put a lot of effort in to academia, so I don't think you'll have much trouble as long as you maintain that during college.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by LeoNicole
Hi,

Drop Biology. I dare you.
I think you should wait till results day before making any decisions because one thing i learned in year 12 besides many chapters of useless **** is that peoples perspective change astonishingly once reality hits on results day so just revise your ass off for the remainder of the year and on results day I assure you that your decision will be made for you.

Quick Reply

Latest