The Student Room Group

A Level options...Again! (Medicine)

So after contemplating for months after my last post, i'm once again in a weird dilemma regarding my A level choices!

I'm looking to study Medicine in the future, and I've looked at most of the A Level requirements for medicine and come to the conclusion that if I have Chemistry, Maths and one other science I should be okay .. Am I correct to assume this?

I've half decided that I want to do Chemistry, Biology and Maths with Statistics, but as a fourth option i'm struggling to choose because I initially thought about Physics but I know that the course involves immense maths work which I'm not good at :/ I have since thought that I want to do a contrasting fourth AS Level because it may look good on my application and could actually prove to be more effective and interesting; so I want to do French because I'm predicted an A* at GCSE and quite enjoy languages in general. It is a facilitating subject - however I'm getting mixed advice from people, several claiming that medicine is very competitive and I'd be better off doing all 4 sciences (so Physics as a 4th option). I am extremely confused, I'd really appreciate your help.
Hello my fellow future doctor! I'm currently in Year 12 with views to study medicine. I'm studying Biology, Chemistry, Physics and German. I am obviously only (just over) half way through the AS courses for my subjects and I can only speak for the AQA exam board, but I hope I can help!

You are correct that universities require Chemistry for definite. I have found that they also require 'one other science' and, from what I have seen, Maths (although possibly beneficial) is not necessary. If you are confident in your own ability in maths then go for it, it will look great to universities if you can get a good grade! But be warned that I know a lot of people who achieved A* in GCSE Maths who almost instantly dropped it at A level.

So, on to your other choices. Chemistry is definitely something you need to take to study medicine. It is daunting at first but stick to it and I promise you'll get there. After all, it is the basis of your future career so I'm sure that you'll be determined to do well. There is nothing more satisfying than understanding a chemistry concept and linking it to real life and finally understanding the things you've learned at GCSE. There is definitely more actual understanding than just learning facts, it's great and so mind stimulating.

Biology, again a good choice. There's a lot of content, but don't be put off - it all builds up and your knowledge develops as the course goes on. You learn about a lot of things that will definitely be interesting if you wish to study medicine, for example immunisation and different lung diseases. It's all so much more interesting than GCSE.

Physics is a subject that I, personally, have a love hate relationship with. I've only studied Unit 1 so far and, in my opinion, the maths wasn't too complex at all. If it is the maths that is steering you away from it, I definitely wouldn't let it. Of my four choices, I've found that physics was the one with the smallest 'jump' from GCSE. None of the concepts have proved too difficult, it's just a matter of getting your head around things.

Finally, French. Do it! As a language fanatic, I may be a bit biased in telling you to go for it, but if you love it then there is no better choice for you. As I said, I study German. It is definitely my 'break subject' and I see it as more of a hobby as I enjoy it so much! That's not to say that it's easy because it's certainly not, but it is one of those subjects that just keeps giving and you are continuously building on your knowledge and putting things into place and it is fantastic. I'm the only student in my class, which has it's pros and cons, but I just find it sad to see that so few people are so interested in languages anymore! Although, with that being said, employers and universities will definitely be interested in a language A Level for sure.

Remember, it's not all about your grades. Obviously grades are important (seeing as most entry requirements are AAA or higher) but dedication and work experience are also necessities. If your school/college/sixth form do work experience, try get some in a medical field! On top of that, look into extra volunteering, perhaps DofE and maybe try get some more extra curricular activities in there too. All of that will show unis how great you really are. :smile:

If you need any more advice/info for either GCSEs or A levels, feel free to send me a message! I hope this has been of some use to you and I wish you luck with your GCSEs. :smile:
Original post by Waqar600
So after contemplating for months after my last post, i'm once again in a weird dilemma regarding my A level choices!

I'm looking to study Medicine in the future, and I've looked at most of the A Level requirements for medicine and come to the conclusion that if I have Chemistry, Maths and one other science I should be okay .. Am I correct to assume this?

I've half decided that I want to do Chemistry, Biology and Maths with Statistics, but as a fourth option i'm struggling to choose because I initially thought about Physics but I know that the course involves immense maths work which I'm not good at :/ I have since thought that I want to do a contrasting fourth AS Level because it may look good on my application and could actually prove to be more effective and interesting; so I want to do French because I'm predicted an A* at GCSE and quite enjoy languages in general. It is a facilitating subject - however I'm getting mixed advice from people, several claiming that medicine is very competitive and I'd be better off doing all 4 sciences (so Physics as a 4th option). I am extremely confused, I'd really appreciate your help.

Most only require biology and chemistry. So as long as you have those 2 you will be fine. The odd uni might require maths as well, but most dont. But its good that you are taking it though as it is a good subject to take and might come in useful.
For your 4th subject it doesnt matter what you take. A contrasting subject is good. Languages are good, so if you want to do french then go for it. Otherwise you could do something like english lit, history, geography or something similar.
Hi, I'm in year 13 and I've applied to study medicine at Cardiff, Nottingham, Liverpool and Bristol. I took Biology, Chemistry, Maths and History at AS and got AAAA. I dropped History for year 13 to concentrate on the other 3.

With regards to what to choose, what universities are you considering applying to? I know it might sound early, but different unis want different subjects - for example Cardiff want 2 from biology, chemistry, physics or maths whilst Bristol want "2 lab-based sciences" whilst Nottingham and Liverpool want chemistry AND biology.

Also, make sure you take subjects you're going to enjoy - I choose chemistry and biology because i was good at them (and had to take them for my unis :L), maths because again I was good at it and finally History because I found it interesting. At open days, the general view from students was that History or another essay based subject would be good to show I'm well-rounded, and more than just science based because they're looking for more than just sciency-doctors nowadays.

Hope this helps you a bit :smile:
Original post by Waqar600

Biology and Chemistry will suffice for everywhere except Cambridge. Nowhere else states or has ever stated any preference whatsoever for more than two sciences. Only UCL state preference for a "contrasting science".

You need AAA-A*AA. Doing a combination that will land you that is the most important thing in terms of your chances for medicine.
Reply 5
Thank you all so much! Really helpful :biggrin: I'm going to apply soon and I think I'll stick with Maths/Stats, Chemistry, Biology and French :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest