The Student Room Group

Further Maths Unit Choices

Currently this year I'm studying:
C1 C2 S1
FP1 M1 D1 D2

Next Year, I will definitely be doing FP2 FP3 and M2. I'm not sure whether to do M3 or S2, as an extra module. I hear S2 is easier, but I'm not a huge fan of S1. Opinions?
Reply 1
Unfortunate that you had to do D2, what an awful module!

Anyway, out of S2 and M3, S2 is definitely easier. S2 is also much more interesting than S1, in my opinion. M3 has a lot of applied C3/4 mathematics, whilst S2 only really goes up to C2 mathematics.

It also depends on what you want to do after 6th form too.
Original post by WillWalker23
Currently this year I'm studying:
C1 C2 S1
FP1 M1 D1 D2

Next Year, I will definitely be doing FP2 FP3 and M2. I'm not sure whether to do M3 or S2, as an extra module. I hear S2 is easier, but I'm not a huge fan of S1. Opinions?

Is doing both an option? That would give you your 12 modules.
Reply 3
M3 is easy if you do physics and S2 is nothing like S1. S2 has actual maths involved, not the crap you do in S1 and it is fun imo. Both are relatively easy if you do enough questions.
Reply 4
S2 is quite easy and short. Much more interesting than S1 as well imo

Posted from TSR Mobile
Agree with the above. S2 (on Edexcel, at least) is nice, and a change in direction from S1. I don't know about other boards, however.
Reply 6
If you like mechanics do M3, it's quite fun.
I don't do physics currently, but might be doing Physics AS next year depending on whether the timetable allows.

I'm not a huge fan of S1. Seems very boring and I do prefer mechanics. I find mechanics challenging but not hard. Decision is probably my favourite. I've been teaching myself D2 this year, which is short and different to D1. It's probably easier than D1 too.

I'll think about S2 Vs M3.

Quick Reply

Latest