The Student Room Group

Anyone care about the Church of England?

So does anyone care about the Church of England having its first female Bishop?

I care as a High Tory I am disgusted and disheartened. The Church of England has became pointless and must either go through a restoration or disestablished.

Scroll to see replies

No, religion is nonsense.
Reply 2
Not religious....but i dont like how outside forces force them to change the policies they have had for centuries. While im all for equal rights for gay folks....i dont believe they should be forced to marry them if they dont want to. Why would gay folks even want to be in a church....they are sinners in their eyes
Original post by The_Mighty_Bush
No, religion is nonsense.

The governmental system of the British nation state isn't nonsense though is it?
Original post by william walker

I care as a High Tory I am disgusted and disheartened. The Church of England has became pointless and must either go through a restoration or disestablished.

:puke:

I like how the Church of England is giving the government a tough ride due to food banks increases. It's almost like their religion is based of the teachings of Jesus.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Arran82
Not religious....but i dont like how outside forces force them to change the policies they have had for centuries. While im all for equal rights for gay folks....i dont believe they should be forced to marry them if they dont want to. Why would gay folks even want to be in a church....they are sinners in their eyes

The outside forces are the British government and the political parties within the House of Commons. Also the media which is beholden to those political parties and the government. I think the immoral marriage law, the creation of multi-faithism within the Church of England and the allowing of female clergy and bishops is the final straw. The real problems came decades ago with the government taking over education in the 1880's, the disestablishment of the Church of Ireland and Church of Wales. The allowing of abortions freely and the devastation of marriage as an institution are much greater issues. Where the Church could have put up a fight but didn't because the Monarchy didn't support it. The Church of England has very little means to use its power within the governmental system if the Monarchy doesn't support it. Queen victory did little in support of the Church in her reign. This is where the problems come from in my view. It seems to me female Monarchs are not very good. The Queen we currently have is terrible to say the least. Queen Ann was decent though.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
:puke:

I like how the Church of England is giving the government a tough ride due to food banks increases. It's almost like their religion is based of the teachings of Jesus.

Surely it is the job of the Church of England to aid people with food banks? Of course I believe Peter Hitchens is correct many people in the Church of England have mistaken the welfare state for the kingdom of heaven.

Is this the same Jesus who only had male disciples? Which the Church of England has just gone against that teaching of Jesus. So don't pretend you care about teaching of Jesus.
The governmental system of the British nation state isn't nonsense though is it?

No, it is. I agree on that point.
Surely it is the job of the Church of England to aid people with food banks? Of course I believe Peter Hitchens is correct many people in the Church of England have mistaken the welfare state for the kingdom of heaven.

Is this the same Jesus who only had male disciples? Which the Church of England has just gone against that teaching of Jesus. So don't pretend you care about teaching of Jesus.

OK then. The one thing I like about the church is the thing you hate. Figures.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
OK then. The one thing I like about the church is the thing you hate. Figures.

So you like the Church of England getting involved in politics which has nothing to do with it do you? I support the Church of England having a greater role in aiding people including food backs, I agree with the Church of England on that.

The Church of England is meant to be independent of the government and independent of politics. This is a vital part of the British governmental system. Separation of Church and government.
Original post by The_Mighty_Bush
No, it is. I agree on that point.

Good.
Am in two minds. Partly think a good thing but cannot get away from The Bible saying "do not let your women speak in the church" - do they not read their own book or is it constant shifting of goal posts?
Original post by jaffacake111
Am in two minds. Partly think a good thing but cannot get away from The Bible saying "do not let your women speak in the church" - do they not read their own book or is it constant shifting of goal posts?

No I don't know what is happening. These people must actually want to destroy their own church of something. The words of the bible are clear.
Reply 13
Original post by Arran82
Why would gay folks even want to be in a church....they are sinners in their eyes

No. Most mainstream Anglicans do not think that at all.

Abolish the CofE and establish the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster as the official religion of this country. All hail his noodly appendage!!!
personally i see no reason for Church of England to exist at all.
She supports manchester united apparently. that's enough to get my support.
Reply 17
Not really and I find it irritating how much coverage it got when Christianity is largely irrelevant in the UK in 2015, but I did find it slightly funny when, as I hoped, some plonker stood up and shouted out 'NO!! NOT IN THE BIBLE!!' after the archbishop asked the audience whether everyone agreed to accept the new bishop, like someone shouting out in a wedding when the question 'if anyone has any objections etc etc' lol.
Does this mean some of the bishop's guaranteed seats in the House of Lords will have to be for women now too? Or will it in the future? Either way that's ridiculous. Screw guaranteed seats.
Oh grow up.

Anglicanism was founded on and has thrived by the principal of 'If you don't like it, change it'.

It has no principals other than being convenient for those in charge.

Quick Reply

Latest