The Student Room Group

lack of radicalness in today's youth

is anyone else absolutely appalled by the tiny level of young people who have interest/knowledge of politics. I find myself bored with the whole new labour-tory circle and the lib dems arent the most exciting alternative and i believe we should have a proportional representational system but most young people don't know what this is or have such conservative views that it doesnt matter. Even those who associate with groups that could be considered punky etc (probably a bad example but the area i live in is quite conservative) may seem anti establishment in their dress sense or music, but when you talk with them are usually either christian or conservatives. Something i look forward to in university, is the hope of meeting people who believe that religion is ridiculous, feminism is important, nationality is irrelevant and can defend their views without getting "offended".

Whenever i've gone to open days (i'm studying history) all the other people sitting in the lecture hall either sit there giggling, texting or asking innane questions

ignoring my views (ie. not an debate thread) do people agree that this generation (perhaps it's the same for all) seem to have lost their radicalness or will my hopes be fulfilled by the existence of lots of conscientious students at university?

Scroll to see replies

So you're basically griping at the fact that students aren't the stereotypical, anti-establishment, anarchic communists you thought they'd be?
Reply 2
well im not at university yet

you dont have be anarchic, communist, anti-establishment to be politically minded (which im sure lots of people on this forum may well be, as they want to let their opinions known) but i mean generally.
ruairí
well im not at university yet

you dont have be anarchic, communist, anti-establishment to be politically minded (which im sure lots of people on this forum may well be, as they wont to let their opinions known) but i mean generally.

Go to the Politics sub-forum, in Debate and Discussion. In there you find eternal debates along the lines of "Israel vs. Palestine," "Why the Jews/Muslims/Scotts are evil," and "The Euro - Disneyland money gone wrong."

Enjoy.
Reply 4
soup_dragon87
Go to the Politics sub-forum, in Debate and Discussion. In there you find eternal debates along the lines of "Israel vs. Palestine," "Why the Jews/Muslims/Scotts are evil," and "The Euro - Disneyland money gone wrong."

Enjoy.

you're missing my point (probably my fault) i'm well aware there are ppl who argue on this forum probably because it's not easy to do in other places. You do get endless threads of muslims on israel/palestine, not on less.. accessible issues (not sure what i mean there) on things such as feminism, what ever happened to feminism? i barely know anyone who feels strongly that abortion is a woman's right, or the muslim veil is oppressive and male dominance. I'm just exasperated that we don't have a.. revolutionary zeal, maybe we do and i just want it to be a left wing one, but it's undeniable that loads of young people are conservative and i can't see why, where's the fun??
Reply 5
soup_dragon87
So you're basically griping at the fact that students aren't the stereotypical, anti-establishment, anarchic communists you thought they'd be?

mornin' all. :p:

ruairí, don't be quite so quick to judge. At my uni there's a fair sized group of extremely politically-minded people, and whilst it may seem utterly futile to get the mass of students involved in anything political, it's not: last sunday there was around 15000 students down in London at the NUS's national demo against tuition fees. A lot of students now are totally politically apathetic, but not all and if you join one of the political societies (I can recommend one in particular :wink:) at your uni and really get involved you'll meet a load of people who do think like you.
Reply 6
ruairí
you're missing my point (probably my fault) i'm well aware there are ppl who argue on this forum probably because it's not easy to do in other places. You do get endless threads of muslims on israel/palestine, not on less.. accessible issues (not sure what i mean there) on things such as feminism, what ever happened to feminism? i barely know anyone who feels strongly that abortion is a woman's right, or the muslim veil is oppressive and male dominance. I'm just exasperated that we don't have a.. revolutionary zeal, maybe we do and i just want it to be a left wing one, but it's undeniable that loads of young people are conservative and i can't see why, where's the fun??

I spent an evening last week with my comrades making a pro-abortion banner for the front of my students' union building. There are a lot of people who do believe in these issues. :smile:

you're possibly right on the whole tory thing, but that depends which uni you go to. mine is pretty left-wing, whereas others are totally full of "conservative future".
ruairí
People realised it was just a load of bull-dyke lesbians who hated men, and believed the most obscure and questionable research to be right if it showed that men will ruin the Earth and thus we ought to be eradicated. People now re-believe in Egalitarianism.
Reply 8
Yes a lot of students, and people in general, are completely politically apathetic, but that's fine, because people are also for the most part pig-ignorant.

I for one think the lack of interest shown by most people in day to day politics is a good thing, else we'd end up like France, with a conservative public throwing out reforms which are good for them.
Reply 9
ruairí
is anyone else absolutely appalled by the tiny level of young people who have interest/knowledge of politics. I find myself bored with the whole new labour-tory circle and the lib dems arent the most exciting alternative

Speaking broadly as a Tory, I will tell you now that it's usually the bloody 'radicals' that have no real knowledge of politics.

Something i look forward to in university, is the hope of meeting people who believe that religion is ridiculous, feminism is important, nationality is irrelevant and can defend their views without getting "offended".

I'm sure you will.

ignoring my views (ie. not an debate thread) do people agree that this generation (perhaps it's the same for all) seem to have lost their radicalness or will my hopes be fulfilled by the existence of lots of conscientious students at university?

There's plenty of both radicals and simply people of more mainsteam opinions with political interests.
Reply 10
what a ridiculous thread!

lets see.... well, feminism, excuse me while i snort into my tea. ha! pointless drivel for people with nothing left to complain about. i'm very much pro choice, heck, i have very strong libertarian views but this does not mean i'm gonna start ranting and raving with the loony left. same deal with the veil. if a woman wants to wear it here, by all means, let her wear it. simply a religious choice.

dont get me started on that bloody NUS march in london. what a joke. you actually think that a group of (lets face it, poorly organised) students is going to make the government change any of its policy regarding tuition fees? again, i'm going to snort into my tea.

what is wrong with being as far from the left as possible? why should students have to lean to the left? why dont you understand that you're part of a tiny minority that have no influence at all in people's lives?
When I told my (rather old and old fashioned) driving instructor I was planning on going to the University of London, he said to me: "Ah, very good, just mind you don't end up a left wing commy, they're like that up there" :biggrin:
Reply 12
nik87
dont get me started on that bloody NUS march in london. what a joke. you actually think that a group of (lets face it, poorly organised) students is going to make the government change any of its policy regarding tuition fees? again, i'm going to snort into my tea.

France and Greece?
Reply 13
If you want to look at the NUS as an example, there's been apathy within a large number of students ever since the union decided that it was a powerful lobbying group and took it upon itself to campain on issues such as Nestle, Palestine (who the **** are they campainging to again?) and burka rights rather than issues like tuition fees and the firing of academic staff - issues that really affect students and that the NUS could actually make a difference.
Reply 14
france and greece = very different politically than here.
I do think most uni students have political views, but most don't feel the need to harp on about them as much as some. Quite often i have found that once you 'get political' then everyone likes to wade in with their opinion/take on things. Just because not everyone wants to spend all their spare time stomping around london with placards or making banners or collecting signatures for so and so petition, doesn't mean people don't care whats going on. Maybe if there was something worthwhile protesting about then i would get involved (for example i would love to have been involved in the poll tax riots).
Reply 16
SOAS is very political, perhaps overly political. Conversation in the common room tend to be about Israel/Palestine or the finer points of Islam and Christianity rather than football and what was on TV last night.

People as a whole are generally apathetic, not just students.
Reply 17
gas_panic!
I do think most uni students have political views, but most don't feel the need to harp on about them as much as some. Quite often i have found that once you 'get political' then everyone likes to wade in with their opinion/take on things. Just because not everyone wants to spend all their spare time stomping around london with placards or making banners or collecting signatures for so and so petition, doesn't mean people don't care whats going on. Maybe if there was something worthwhile protesting about then i would get involved (for example i would love to have been involved in the poll tax riots).

no, but it certainly helps.

keyboard warriors are worth **** all in the end.
Reply 18
I went to an underground rap gig once....
There were atleast 3-5 Marxists groups handing out leaflets...
And in the gig several people flying palestinian flags ect....
Your looking in the wrong places :P
Most protests are a waste of time. The government won't listen. You need to have proper riots if you want people to pay attention.

Latest

Trending

Trending