The Student Room Group

UK Driving instructor hoarding my provisional driving license card

Is it common practice for a driving instructor to hoard your provisional license card when you are not taking lessons and waiting for the test day which is over a month and a half away?

Why would they refuse to hand back your card when you've told them it's your ID and that you need it?

I feel that there is no reason why he should be holding onto it as he is not the one who booked my driving test. At one stage he did say he would book my driving test but he didnt and I booked it instead and when I asked for my ID back he would not return my calls or texts.
Really weird. I've never heard of a driving instructor booking your test for you??

he has absolutely no reason to have your provisional license I think
Reply 2
Original post by Eleyhun.t
Really weird. I've never heard of a driving instructor booking your test for you??

he has absolutely no reason to have your provisional license I think

I just called him and it went straight to voicemail..

I dont know whether I ought to dob him to DVLA, bottom line is it's really sly.. i'm not going anywhere.. I do need my card though.. the counterpart license isn't going to help me as a form of ID and I'd rather have the card!!!

I was wondering if any other students experienced instructors who held onto your licenses card or counterpart... im in manchester area at the moment..
I have never of heard of that and I don't think a driving instructor has any reason to do that. You need to get it back. And when you do, make sure it's your actual card because this sounds fishy. It is YOU who has to present the documentation to the driving test examiner, why would he need to hoard it?

He might be:
trying to force you to take more lessons with him
stealing your ID/forging
stop you from taking lessons in another car (he has your license!)

Does this instructor work for a company? Contact them first and then the DVLA. I also suggest you find a new driving instructor because this guy sounds like he's taking you for a ride by not booking your driving test in time, therefore, leaving more time for more lessons and more £££ for him.
You should never give it to him to keep. I'd be in touch with the police personally. If he works for a franchise, be in touch with them immediately. If not, police is the way to go.
Reply 5
There's absolutely no reason why he would need to hold on to it. What reason did he give you for not handing it back?
Reply 6
Everyone here knows that something's up. I'd strongly advise contacting the ADI and reporting the incident to them, too. They are, after all, the group responsible for approving driving instructors.

Taking (and keeping) someone else's government issued identification is illegal. The only time that it would be considered acceptable to do so is if he thought your provisional license was fake or invalid, at which point he should hand it to authorities as soon as reasonably possible.

Contact the instructor (at his registered business address if you can't contact him via telephone - I can help with obtaining that information if you'd like) and demand that he returns your license immediately. If he can not or does not, contact the police and report the theft of your driving license to them.

If cancelling the booked test with a full refund is an option, I'd do that immediately and seek out alternative instruction from a reputable instructor. There is no way I'd pay that same person for the use of their car/their time on test day.

~Matt
Reply 7
Your driving instructor shouldn't have your provisional driving license. I'm currently taking driving lessons, my card and paper are with me. You will not be able to change your driving instructor either as you need to show him or her your provisional license etc. If I was you, I'd be contacting the police immediately. A provisional license is extremely important!
Reply 8
There is absolutely no reason a driving instructor should have your provisional driving license. It's an immediate matter for the police and DVLC as it could be used for ID theft.
Call the moron, and ask for it back. Tell him you will report it to the cops if he doesn't return it. Give him a deadline to return it. (e.g. 24 hours)

If he doesn't return it, or refuses to, report it as stolen, and give all his details to the police. Then report him to the DVLA as well.
Original post by UberAspie

See my post above OP.
Reply 11
I'm tending to agree with most of the posts above.

Your instructor has no right to withhold your licence from you. He has the right to inspect it, and copy down details from it for the purpose of booking your tests. (Some good instructors do offer to do that as a service - nothing wrong with that.) It should be returned to you within a reasonable time.

That said, there could be a reasonable explanation, like he took your licence to record details, then absent-mindedly forgot to return it to you. Exhaust all lawful possibilities before calling him a thief. Are you due to take another lesson with him?

Quick Reply

Latest