The Student Room Group

UCL - MSc. Public Poicy - American Prospects?

Hey All,

So, I've been offered a place at UCL for a masters in public policy. Obviously it's a great university, among the best in the world. However, I'm not sure on how it's reputation stacks up in America, particularly against Harvard/Berkeley students.

I want to go work for a think-tank or as a research analyst, maybe even possibly an assistant professorship for a few years, before going on to either get a JD or a PHD. Can anyone comment on how hard/easy it would be to get a job in America with a UCL degree, and even comment on how hard/easy it would be to get a job in London with a UCL degree in public policy?

I plan to go more heavily into the quantitative/economic side of the degree to boost my job credibility.

I've got a few reasons for the UCL degree:
1) It's an outstanding university.
2) The program is 1 year vs 2 years, and minimizing debt is pretty important to me.
3) The course offering's are very similar when compared to the top universities in America.
4) The program ends in June (with the dissertation due in late Sept) which would allow me to do an internship in the field as I work on my dissertation.
5) I've studied abroad in London before, and fell in love with it, dying to go back.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending