The Student Room Group

AQA HIS4X Essay Help

I would like to know how everyone is getting on with the essay and what topic they're doing.

I'm struggling with the bibliography, do I just list each source that I have used with why I have used it or is it something else?

Thanks!
Reply 1
My first draft is due in next thursday and i've only just started it! slightly worried I haven't done enough reading so i'll run out of material to use.

Regarding the bibliography I think you just list the sources etc you have used, and you then write a source evaluation (max. 549 words) to explain why you've used certain sources.

I hope this helps :smile:
Original post by JessH31
My first draft is due in next thursday and i've only just started it! slightly worried I haven't done enough reading so i'll run out of material to use.

Regarding the bibliography I think you just list the sources etc you have used, and you then write a source evaluation (max. 549 words) to explain why you've used certain sources.

Thanks for your help! I use Google books and just search for quotes, so much easier!
Original post by bishopdon123
I would like to know how everyone is getting on with the essay and what topic they're doing.

I'm struggling with the bibliography, do I just list each source that I have used with why I have used it or is it something else?

Thanks!

A bibliography is a list of all the sources you have either used or consulted. The easiest way to compile one of these is to open up a seperate word document, start from the top of your essay and scroll down copying your citations into this new document. Once you have done it all look through and delete any repeats (because you have likely used more than one source once) and arrange alphabetically via the authors surname. So if your footnote is 'William Doyle, The Oxford History of the French Revolution...' your bibliography reference is 'Doyle, W., The Oxford...'
Original post by TheHistorian19
A bibliography is a list of all the sources you have either used or consulted. The easiest way to compile one of these is to open up a seperate word document, start from the top of your essay and scroll down copying your citations into this new document. Once you have done it all look through and delete any repeats (because you have likely used more than one source once) and arrange alphabetically via the authors surname. So if your footnote is 'William Doyle, The Oxford History of the French Revolution...' your bibliography reference is 'Doyle, W., The Oxford...'

Thanks, do I need to explain why I've used each one or only a few?
Thanks, do I need to explain why I've used each one or only a few?

A bibliography is simply a list, nothing more. When you describe the benefits or downfalls of a source that's a source evaluation.
Reply 6
Original post by JessH31

Hi which question did you do?:smile:
Reply 7
How many sources should be used in an ideal situation?? I'm aiming for an A/A* and worried that I haven't done enough reading :confused:
Original post by Gazzaaa
How many sources should be used in an ideal situation?? I'm aiming for an A/A* and worried that I haven't done enough reading :confused:

I'm not sure about the "ideal situation" but I'm shooting for at the very least 30, hopefully 40-50.
I'm not sure about the "ideal situation" but I'm shooting for at the very least 30, hopefully 40-50.

as in 40 citations or 40 different sources?

I got full marks in mine and only used like 15 actual sources, if that helps at all :smile:
Original post by subjunctivehistorian

I got full marks in mine and only used like 15 actual sources, if that helps at all :smile:

So did you use 15 different sources in your bibliography or 15 references (citations) throughout the piece?
Original post by Gazzaaa
So did you use 15 different sources in your bibliography or 15 references (citations) throughout the piece?

About 15 in the bibliography, I used about 50 citations

Citations
Citations

Oh cool! (I'd have been worried if you'd used 40 actual sources for a 4000 word essay haha!
About 15 in the bibliography, I used about 50 citations

Did you actually read every book or did you skim through them and also how difficult would you say writing the essay was?
Thanks!
Oh cool! (I'd have been worried if you'd used 40 actual sources for a 4000 word essay haha!

Not got that much time on my hands haha! I should have made it clearer.
Original post by Gazzaaa
Did you actually read every book or did you skim through them and also how difficult would you say writing the essay was?
Thanks!

I read maybe like three/four of them fully, the rest I just read certain chapters or sections, sometimes just the introduction hhaha.
What I'd recommend is looking in the index for what you want to find information for.. also you can use google books to find quotes without having to actually buy the books themselves.

I personally really enjoyed writing the coursework, it was about the role of Martin Luther King in the civil rights movement. I think that once you've started writing, you can get into the grove and really enjoy it... but it does take time and the most important thing is not trying to make it PERFECT the first time around... if you do this you won't really get anywhere! :wink:
Feel free to ask if you have any more questions :biggrin:
Reply 17
(edited 9 years ago)
I read maybe like three/four of them fully, the rest I just read certain chapters or sections, sometimes just the introduction hhaha.
What I'd recommend is looking in the index for what you want to find information for.. also you can use google books to find quotes without having to actually buy the books themselves.

I personally really enjoyed writing the coursework, it was about the role of Martin Luther King in the civil rights movement. I think that once you've started writing, you can get into the grove and really enjoy it... but it does take time and the most important thing is not trying to make it PERFECT the first time around... if you do this you won't really get anywhere! :wink:
Feel free to ask if you have any more questions :biggrin:

Thanks for the help I very much appreciate it. Could I also ask, were all of your 15 sources books or did you use a variety of sources? (E.g podcasts, documentaries, articles, pictures etc.)
Original post by Gazzaaa
Thanks for the help I very much appreciate it. Could I also ask, were all of your 15 sources books or did you use a variety of sources? (E.g podcasts, documentaries, articles, pictures etc.)

No problem at all!
I mostly used books but I also used a couple of extracts from speeches and stuff - it's useful to have a couple of primary sources in the mix so that, when you come to complete your source evaluation, you can compare the two types of sources.
But it's okay to mostly use books, as long as they are from different viewpoints.
:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending