The Student Room Group

Does exposure to pollen increase your hay fever resistance?

I seem to recall that when you grow up, exposure to pollen increases your resistance to hayfever.

Is that true? And is it true when you're still an adult?

just wondered if anyone knew.
Original post by Captain Jack
I seem to recall that when you grow up, exposure to pollen increases your resistance to hayfever.

funny I wondered that too. two years ago I had really bad hay fever symptoms then I moved to the city and I had no symptoms what so ever. I think its the environment you live in that can help with resistance in hay fever.
i'm not sure but i've starting smoking to stop being so allergic to things all the time, i think it works
Original post by Missc7336
funny I wondered that too. two years ago I had really bad hay fever symptoms then I moved to the city and I had no symptoms what so ever. I think its the environment you live in that can help with resistance in hay fever.

But some time
Original post by Captain Jack

You can have therapy for some allergies where you get anaphylaxis where a tiny dose of the allergen is given regularly in increasing doses until you don't get that reaction any more (readers: please don;t try at home of you suffer from an allergy like this, it's incredibly dangerous), I don't know if this would be true with what you're saying here but it sounds reasonable to think it might.
I lived in the countryside for the first 12 years of my life, our house backed onto fields so there was loadddssss of pollen around and I never had a problem. Then we moved to the city for 3 years - still no symptoms. 2 years ago we moved back to the countryside and I get really severe hay fever! It gets so bad that I can't go outside for more than 5 minutes at a time!

So I suppose I grew up resistant and then when I wasn't really around any pollen I lost the resistance!
Original post by daisystones
I lived in the countryside for the first 12 years of my life, our house backed onto fields so there was loadddssss of pollen around and I never had a problem. Then we moved to the city for 3 years - still no symptoms. 2 years ago we moved back to the countryside and I get really severe hay fever! It gets so bad that I can't go outside for more than 5 minutes at a time!

So I suppose I grew up resistant and then when I wasn't really around any pollen I lost the resistance!

Yeah, I wonder if you completely immerse yourself in it whether you will start to build up resistance again? I just wonder if in our society we mollycoddle ourselves so much that we can end up making things worse.
Yeah I think that's accurate. I used to have really itchy eyes but now all I get is the odd sneeze or runny nose. I don't even need tablets as that is only occasional

Quick Reply

Latest