The Student Room Group

Which course should I change to?

To put it simply, I hate university. I'm midway through the first year of a Journalism degree at the University of Westminster, and it just isn't what I expected it to be. I find the subject pretty boring and just too easy, and it's also not what I really want to do any more.

I'm a commuter, and I find a lot of my lectures a complete waste of money and time travelling in. I'm breezing through the assessments with good marks in practically everything even though my heart isn't really in it, but I don't like that fact. The thing is, I now don't know what to do - all I know is that I really want to study, so dropping out altogether is simply not an option.

I'm thinking of re-starting uni again in September. At the moment, I'm considering going to Anglia Ruskin. I know it's very lowly-ranked, but I love the location and the feel I got for the place when I visited last year. My big issue is which course to do. At the moment, I'm torn between a combined honours degree in Sociology and Criminology, and pure Law.

I studied both Sociology and Law at A Level and loved both. I know a Law degree is a lot more highly regarded, however, I am questioning whether I would enjoy S&C more. I don't want to hate yet another degree, and a lot of people say that Law is boring and too much hard work. I'm a bit of a party animal, I like going out, I have a part-time job that I simply refuse to quit, and I don't want to get snowed under. Would this be a bit different at ARU, given the low entry requirements to the course? And would I find a Sociology and Criminology course too easy?

A bit more about me: My A Level results were ABC in English Lit, Sociology and Law respectively, which could have been a lot better had I not been at a godawful school and struggling with personal issues at the time. I love writing, hence my initial interest in Journalism. I also love learning things and absorbing information. That's the one thing I hate the most about my current degree, I'm being taught how to DO things rather than actual information, because there are no exams. I much prefer the theory modules that we have to do, if I'm honest.

Any help would be much appreciated. I don't know what I want to do as a career; at the moment, I'm considering joining the police force. I know that this doesn't require a degree, however, I want a degree because I love studying and I feel that it'd be a waste if I didn't. I just don't want to get a First in a degree with little effort because it would feel undeserved.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending