The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

How are we supposed to refer to black people?

I just watched this video of someone using the term "coloured actors" and a load of people were complaining about it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2927166/I-m-idiot-m-devastated-caused-offense-British-actor-Benedict-Cumberbatch-issues-apology-calling-black-people-colored-television.html

I thought a while ago we couldn't say "black people" and now we can't say "coloured" :confused:

What are we supposed to say?

Scroll to see replies

call em by their name.

or just people man....

why does there need to be anything to define them...
Original post by Plastic Face
call em by their name.

or just people man....

In case we need to refer to a group of them, or point someone out. I mean they call us white people when they see fit.

If I want to point someone out to a friend, I'm not gonna waste my time saying "the 3rd guy from the left in between the lamppost and the bin, wearing a blue shirt, about 5'10" I should be able to say "the black/coloured/whatever guy" to make it easier. It's not being racist.
Does 'coloured' have different implications in the US, where it was said? Or is it that racial tensions are just generally higher over there? Because I'd be quite surprised if this would be an issue here.
Reply 4
call em by their name.

or just people man....

Because colour is an attribute that can differentiate somebody which can be quite useful when giving descriptions.

How would you describe what marseluss walace looks like?
Original post by Zander01
Because colour is an attribute that can differentiate somebody which can be quite useful when giving descriptions.

A bitch! He looks like a bitch!
Original post by UniMastermindBOSS
In case we need to refer to a group of them, or point someone out. I mean they call us white people when they see fit.

If I want to point someone out to a friend, I'm not gonna waste my time saying "the 3rd guy from the left in between the lamppost and the bin, wearing a blue shirt, about 5'10" I should be able to say "the black/coloured/whatever guy" to make it easier. It's not being racist.

why do you want to 'point them out' to begin with? that sounds like very invasive and hostile behavior...

black people are allowed to call us white people... cause wev been calling em black for long time now.. its only fair...

also... i dont like your attitude. you should not be calling anyone by their skin color these days... i dont care if its easier... you should be describing them as u would anyone else.
If it's ok for someone to use the word 'white' whilst describing a person, then it's just as fair to use to word 'black' or 'asian'.

Can't have it both ways.
I was thinking of this the other day, no-one says the 'Benedict Cumperpatch who is a white actor' why is that? why the need to highlight the fact that a person is a different race?

And also, what is the best way to refer to their race? We call whites 'caucasian' but how should we refer to non-whites? I don't like the terms Black, or coloured, I prefer African American - but what if they're not African and not American?

What I (&we I suppose) should really be doing is ignore their ethnicity and just call them by their nationality.
Original post by Zander01

Big fat bald bloke who walks funny.
Original post by Izzyeviel
nationality.

How would you know a strangers nationality?
My reaction when the term coloured is used:

I was thinking of this the other day, no-one says the 'Benedict Cumperpatch who is a white actor' why is that? why the need to highlight the fact that a person is a different race?

And also, what is the best way to refer to their race? We call whites 'caucasian' but how should we refer to non-whites? I don't like the terms Black, or coloured, I prefer African American - but what if they're not African and not American?

What I (&we I suppose) should really be doing is ignore their ethnicity and just call them by their nationality.

Negro\Negroid
Original post by King Leonidas
My reaction when the term coloured is used:

The thing that makes me laugh is. In some cultures it's perfectly fine for guys to call each other the 'N' word. But if someone else then calls them it, all hell breaks loose. Why? Personally, I think too many chips on too many shoulders.
Reply 14
Black. At some point this will change but I won't

Depends on who you're talking to I suppose, for instance some elderly black folks would find Negro acceptable and identify themselves as such (though this is more in America than here I imagine), but find black offensive, as it was until the last 50 years. White/Black just seems easiest, though sort of odd we use Asian, as it's so vague and multiple areas in Asia folks don't have skin all that different than White anyway.

I suppose to play it safe we could call Eurasians threonine's and Africans alanine's, seeing as the different allele's of SLC24A5 are the major factor in skin tone. :wink:
Reply 16
Original post by UniMastermindBOSS
I just watched this video of someone using the term "coloured actors" and a load of people were complaining about it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2927166/I-m-idiot-m-devastated-caused-offense-British-actor-Benedict-Cumberbatch-issues-apology-calling-black-people-colored-television.html

I thought a while ago we couldn't say "black people" and now we can't say "coloured" :confused:

What are we supposed to say?

You call black people black people just like you call white people white people.

Do not refer to black people as 'coloured', 'negro' or 'blacks'. Those terms are seen as being derogatory.
why do you want to 'point them out' to begin with? that sounds like very invasive and hostile behavior...

black people are allowed to call us white people... cause wev been calling em black for long time now.. its only fair...

also... i dont like your attitude. you should not be calling anyone by their skin color these days... i dont care if its easier... you should be describing them as u would anyone else.

For the same reason we point out anyone.

"Have you seen that new film?"
"No who's in it"
"Morgan Freeman"
"Who's that?"
"The guy from the Shawshank Redemption"
"There were about 50 guys in that film"
"The black guy"

What's wrong with that? It's the easiest way to describe him, and it's not offending him at all.

If someone said, "I hate all black actors they shouldn't be allowed on TV" then, that is offensive, regardless of what term they use.

Original post by Balloon Baboon
How would you know a strangers nationality?

This ^ that's why I think the term "African-American" is also stupid.
call em by their name.

or just people man....

It's annoying when you watch boxing involving a black and a white fighter and the commentator spends twenty seconds trying to describe the tiniest little differences between their shorts when he could just say 'the black guy' or 'the white guy'.
Original post by Balloon Baboon
The thing that makes me laugh is. In some cultures it's perfectly fine for guys to call each other the 'N' word. But if someone else then calls them it, all hell breaks loose. Why? Personally, I think too many chips on too many shoulders.

I do not want to jump towards any conclusions but could you be specific?
Could you also post any prime examples