The Student Room Group
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website

Living expenses

Hello I'm finishing school this year and planning to study in CU. I would like to know how much does it cost there to live for a student? And is it hard for foreigner to get a part time job ? Also I would like to know is it hard to make job and studies work together ???
Reply 1
Original post by Baisavas
Hello I'm finishing school this year and planning to study in CU. I would like to know how much does it cost there to live for a student? And is it hard for foreigner to get a part time job ? Also I would like to know is it hard to make job and studies work together ???

Hi Baisavas,
I'm a research student here at Coventry, and have been a student at the university for the last 4 years. I am a UK student, but I have worked throughout my studies - and many of my international students have also had similar experiences. Jobs are not always easy to get, but Coventry is a busy student city with lots of retail outlets and job opportunities at the university so if you want to work you shouldn't have too much difficulty in finding a job :smile:
I will be honest and say that working and studying is not always easy, given a choice I probably wouldn't have worked for my final year of my undergraduate degree, but if you have to it is perfectly possible. The key is good organisation and time management, but also having an employer who is flexible with you and understands your position as a student - this is why the university is a great place to work. I worked in retail throughout my undergraduate studies, but have moved to work here in Social Media at the university this year, and that has been really helpful as they understand they are employing students so can be very flexible with hours - they also have a range of jobs from part-time contracts like mine, to completely flexible ambassador roles where they offer you shifts and you choose whether or not you are able to work them!

Living costs will vary hugely depending on a variety of factors including whether you choose to live in university halls, private lets and whether these are shared accommodation or on your own, also consider what your hobbies or social activities are, how much you like to party, and where you choose to shop and eat so it is hard to estimate. Believe me when I say that you can do it on a budget though if you're determined enough!

I hope this is helpful - anymore questions, don't hesitate to ask!
Josh
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest