The Student Room Group

Student Bank Accounts

I'm really confused. I went to open an account today but she kept talking about a unconditional offer. But all I have received is conditional offers. Can you not open a student account until you've either been offered a unconditional offer or got your exam results?
I thought you could get one as soon as you selected your firm choice but idk
Original post by shayle144
I'm really confused. I went to open an account today but she kept talking about a unconditional offer. But all I have received is conditional offers. Can you not open a student account until you've either been offered a unconditional offer or got your exam results?

You can't open one until results day when you have a confirmed place - an unconditional offer.
They usually want to see the letter from UCAS confirming your place in August after you get your results.
Reply 3
Yep, what the other two people have said. When I opened my account, I had to take along a UCAS letter confirming that I am starting uni in September. There's no rush to opening a student account right now.
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
They usually want to see the letter from UCAS confirming your place in August after you get your results.

Original post by tg0896
Yep, what the other two people have said. When I opened my account, I had to take along a UCAS letter confirming that I am starting uni in September. There's no rush to opening a student account right now.

Thank you! but what happens with your student finance because when you apply won't it all be in your previous account?
Your student finance won't arrive until September/October ...
Reply 6
Your student finance won't arrive until September/October ...

But when you apply, i assume you put your bank details in? Or am i wrong
You can update the bank details online later.
Reply 8
You can update the bank details online later.

Okay. Thank you!
Reply 9
You can open an under 18 bank account like most students do.

Original post by shayle144
I'm really confused I went to open an account today but she kept talking about a unconditional offer. But all I have received is conditional offers. Can you not open a student account until you've either been offered a unconditional offer or got your exam results?
(edited 9 years ago)
I was wondering the same thing actually.
So if you're planning on opening a student account you just put any old account details in and then update in summer? Seems a bit pointless.
Reply 11
Original post by EconFan_73
I was wondering the same thing actually.
So if you're planning on opening a student account you just put any old account details in and then update in summer? Seems a bit pointless.

No, you leave the bank details blank on the application, and add them once you've opened your student account.
Lloyds, I think do (or did) let you open one early. You need your UCAS welcome letter.
Reply 13
Original post by OU Student
Lloyds, I think do (or did) let you open one early. You need your UCAS welcome letter.

They used to have an "Early Student Account" but it's not on their website any more. The remaining "Student Account" seems to want proof of a uni place like the rest.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending