The Student Room Group

Dropping a subject?

Hi.

So due to my health, I've been given the option to drop a subject and I'm really struggling with my decision which needs to be made by tomorrow.

I took General Studies, Spanish, History, English Language and English Literature AS Levels, achieving D, D, A, A and B. I dropped Spanish and General Studies although I was hoping to drop History as I don't really enjoy it!
So now I can drop one more subject if I want. Do I drop History and be done with it or carry it on?? I am not going to university as yet but will it be really important to have three Alevels if I wanted to go eventually?

Thanks
Original post by Watfordjunction
Hi.

So due to my health, I've been given the option to drop a subject and I'm really struggling with my decision which needs to be made by tomorrow.

I took General Studies, Spanish, History, English Language and English Literature AS Levels, achieving D, D, A, A and B. I dropped Spanish and General Studies although I was hoping to drop History as I don't really enjoy it!
So now I can drop one more subject if I want. Do I drop History and be done with it or carry it on?? I am not going to university as yet but will it be really important to have three Alevels if I wanted to go eventually?

Thanks

Depends what tier uni you are planning on going to. Any higher tier unis will deffo need at least 3 AS whereas others just have a set amount of ucas points so you just need the points for those. Something to consider anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by frances98
Depends what tier uni you are planning on going to. Any higher tier unis will deffo need at least 3 AS whereas others just have a set amount of ucas points so you just need the points for those. Something to consider anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile

If I do decide to apply to university, I would be looking at the Russell group ones, would they take into account my health problems though?
The majority of universities will expect three A levels as a minimum (even if they base offers on UCAS points - they can request the minimum/ maximum number of A levels the points must come from). A few will accept two if you got good grades, but these tend to be much lower ranked unis (which often have lower employment prospects - and since the whole point of uni is to improve your job opportunities they're a bit of a waste of 9k a year...).

That being said, since you had health reasons some unis may be willing to offer you a place anyway - although you may be better off doing an access/ foundation year course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending